Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:25 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Of course they know who fathered the children. They lie to get welfare and to let the father off the hook for child support.
It's called, working the system and I see it all the time in the area where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,280,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many in this thread are receiving some kind of government payment for something? Not just welfare, but ANY government payment, such as Social Security, VA, crop subsidies, tax credits for buying a new car or going "green." How many took advantage of "cash for clunkers?"

Come on...be honest.

I get VA and SS disability payments. How about y'all?
The real question should be , how many are cheating?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
The real question should be , how many are cheating?

The real issue is that so many of us DO get some kind of government check, yet we're all enthusiastic about cutting off someone elses.' After all, we DESERVE ours...right?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
I know of 5 people in my city.
Raise your hand if you know a banker or stock broker who makes over a million dollars for living off the inerest you pay every month. Probably not, they don't hang out with common folk.

I'll worry about them first

Old 02-07-2010, 09:03 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
You need to multiply that.
In other words, you asked for evidence, you don't like the evidence, so you're telling the person who provided it that they must be wrong.

That's a good example of how conservatives think.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:08 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,752 times
This is an example of how ridiculous the discussions regarding welfare fraud are. Your friend assumed these "crowds of people were hanging out on the stoops" waiting to receive their welfare check. This may or may not be an accurate assumption. However, to take the additional leap to conclude that these individuals were using illegal names, addresses, etc is crazy. There is no way that he could know this.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
A friend of mine who was a fire chief in a city said that they could tell distinctly what days the welfare checks were coming as there would be crowds of people hanging out on the stoops to collect them. Using illegal addresses, names etc etc etc and they would often see the same folks at different places collecting another welfare check.

Face facts, abuse is rampant is the welfare system.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Mean while, my wife, who has MRI and X-Rays to proove her spinal condition, took two years before she could get on disability while the neighbor got her disability within months. One deserves it and one is ripping off the government/taxpayers.
Are you sure? Maybe you should change your name to doctordave.

And then review all your neighbor's medical records, evaluate them in comparison to the Social Security disability regulations, the definition of substantial gainful activity, and prove the existence of jobs your neighbor is able to do on a sustained basis that exist in substantial numbers in the national economy.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,125,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Raise your hand if you know a banker or stock broker who makes over a million dollars for living off the inerest you pay every month. Probably not, they don't hang out with common folk.

I'll worry about them first
you're cool man

Old 02-07-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
A friend of mine who was a fire chief in a city said that they could tell distinctly what days the welfare checks were coming as there would be crowds of people hanging out on the stoops to collect them. Using illegal addresses, names etc etc etc and they would often see the same folks at different places collecting another welfare check.

Face facts, abuse is rampant is the welfare system.
You know anecdote is not the singular of data, don't you?

Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
I know of 5 people in my city.

Its not who cheated and lied to get qualified, who lied to continue to receive benefits. I have another one for you. How many people do you know not only cheated and lied to qualify for section 8, but continued to do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies