Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times

Advertisements

I think both are inappropriate and unacceptable. A teacher, whether male or female should be held to certain moral standards, and having sex w/ a student is totally unethical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:25 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoidmary View Post
Not fair!! They didn't let us bring in paper or pencils or ANYTHING I counted the tiles on the floor, on the ceiling, number of trees outside, made up probability games with cars passing, etc. Come to think of it, maybe that is why I like and am good at statistics
Oh you got ripped! Although if you're a statistic fiend now, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing?

Quote:
In the states I think many of these rules in many places were dropped due to parental objections, which I think is odd As kids, we didn't object or protest them or anything. They were just another set of stupid rules adults made us follow. Are things still the same in Australia or did the dress code thing get dropped?
Yes I think probably the inspection side of it has been dropped or maybe toned down, although I'm not really around High School kids now to know.They still wear uniforms so I imagine that there's still a dress code they have to adhere to. Just doubt strongly that they're implementing it in the same ways they did for us.

I don't think it did us any harm, and I certainly think that even though it didn't seem to do a whole lot in terms of keeping us from overt displays of sexuality I think the constant inspection or the knowing that we were being scrutinized didn't do any harm. Still we did have cases of teachers over stepping the mark with students in a sexual sense even then and I don't think it had a whole lot to do with uniform length.

It would be an interesting angle for a sociology experiment I reckon...

Does uniform length in any way impact on the number of student/teacher sexual relations?

In general I think we as a society have changed a good deal since then so not only are measuring uniform skirt lengths a thing of the past I also think there's been a increase in teachers becoming sexually entangled with students based on things like the change in cultural expectation and moral values (man I hate that term ) and the absolute saturation on society of the me culture and sexual objectification.....

Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 PM

740 posts, read 1,233,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
......Yes I think probably the inspection side of it has been dropped or maybe toned down, although I'm not really around High School kids now to know.They still wear uniforms so I imagine that there's still a dress code they have to adhere to. Just doubt strongly that they're implementing it in the same ways they did for us.

I don't think it did us any harm, and I certainly think that even though it didn't seem to do a whole lot in terms of keeping us from overt displays of sexuality I think the constant inspection or the knowing that we were being scrutinized didn't do any harm. Still we did have cases of teachers over stepping the mark with students in a sexual sense even then and I don't think it had a whole lot to do with uniform length.

It would be an interesting angle for a sociology experiment I reckon...

Does uniform length in any way impact on the number of student/teacher sexual relations?

In general I think we as a society have changed a good deal since then so not only are measuring uniform skirt lengths a thing of the past I also think there's been a increase in teachers becoming sexually entangled with students based on things like the change in cultural expectation and moral values (man I hate that term ) and the absolute saturation on society of the me culture and sexual objectification.....
I agree with everything you say here. We didn't have uniforms, but still had the dress code. In my HS years one girl married a teacher and one got pregnant by one (awful case, she was moderately retarded and he was the special ed teacher. He amazingly did not lose his job). I have no idea if it is better or worse now as I have not lived in my home state since HS and am also not around HS kids.

The sociology study would be interesting.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I agree with everything you say here. We didn't have uniforms, but still had the dress code. In my HS years one girl married a teacher and one got pregnant by one (awful case, she was moderately retarded and he was the special ed teacher. He amazingly did not lose his job). I have no idea if it is better or worse now as I have not lived in my home state since HS and am also not around HS kids.

The sociology study would be interesting.
Well attitudes have changed to it as well I think. Like it happened back then but seemingly there wasn't the laws in place to prosecute in the same way that there is now, not to mention there's an element of witch hunt to it in some cases and I'm really not sure that I'm convinced that the sex offender register is being implemented properly. That's not to say we don't need one only that the inclusion of some and the exclusion of others seems to be a bit ad hoc to me. Nor do I condone sexual predation but I really think it needs to be examined, judged and punished on a case by case basis.

Wonder if there's already been a sociology study on it? Might have to go hunting.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Well attitudes have changed to it as well I think. Like it happened back then but seemingly there wasn't the laws in place to prosecute in the same way that there is now, not to mention there's an element of witch hunt to it in some cases and I'm really not sure that I'm convinced that the sex offender register is being implemented properly. That's not to say we don't need one only that the inclusion of some and the exclusion of others seems to be a bit ad hoc to me. Nor do I condone sexual predation but I really think it needs to be examined, judged and punished on a case by case basis.

Wonder if there's already been a sociology study on it? Might have to go hunting.
Here is link a good Economist article on this topic: Premium content | Economist.com

If you find any sociology studies definitely post them!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Here is link a good Economist article on this topic: Premium content | Economist.com

If you find any sociology studies definitely post them!
Can't open it.

Looks interesting the little bit I could read though. Thank you.

Will have to do my hunting a little later mary, as it's dinner time here and it's all happening. I will most definitely post if I find anything.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Can't open it.

Looks interesting the little bit I could read though. Thank you.

Will have to do my hunting a little later mary, as it's dinner time here and it's all happening. I will most definitely post if I find anything.
Oops! Forgot that you need a subscription to read the archives. This is a decent synopsis Connect Safely |US sex-offender laws, registries not conducive to child safety | NetFamilyNews

Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Oops! Forgot that you need a subscription to read the archives. This is a decent synopsis Connect Safely |US sex-offender laws, registries not conducive to child safety | NetFamilyNews
Thanks mary! That was really interesting and pretty much addressed all of my concerns.

Best I race back to the dinner but I'll do some hunting later tonight.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Thanks mary! That was really interesting and pretty much addressed all of my concerns.

Best I race back to the dinner but I'll do some hunting later tonight.
Cool! I'll be interested to see the results of your research Here is a link to the Human Rights Watch report on the sex offender registry No Easy Answers | Human Rights Watch

Old 03-05-2010, 05:42 AM

796 posts, read 1,843,916 times
I don't believe in double standards. A teacher is a teacher, regardless of sex, and has a position of authority over a student. It is wrong....period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies