Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:03 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Which bill do we need reconciliation to pass? Why bother reading the version that the Congress is not ordered to pass by March 18 when only Obama and the people in his White House know which one that is? I am not sure that I could read all 2700 pages of the Reid bill and know what I had just read. Is there a reason that they have to be so long? I know there is but sure wish someone would tell me what it is just in case I am wrong.

The reason the bill is so long is because healthcare is very complex plain and simple. As far as Reconciliation, it is not the entire bill that will be pushed through Reconciliation, its various Amendments to the bill. What is likely to happen is the House will vote on the Senate Bill as is (this is what is the March 18th target date) After that is passed Reconciliation will be used to pass certain provisions, Amendments, and changes to the bill, that are typically done when the House and Senate try to merge the two bills. Some of the things in reconciliation will likely be increased subsidies to cover those who can't afford the coverage, taking out the Cornhusker and Louisiana Purchase kickbacks, perhaps the Public Option if it can get enough votes. Basically some of the differences between the House and Senate bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:11 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not the point at all. The point is people think they're going to be getting medical care with this bill. What it sounds like Pelosi is promising instead is the mandated government control of disease-inducing behaviors, NOT mandated medical care for those with diseases.
She talked about preventative care, you do realize preventative care means things like annual checkups, screenings, etc. Something that many Americans do not have access to, and something that is extremely important at catching potential diseases and illnesses early in the process and before they happen.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:18 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
She talked about preventative care, you do realize preventative care means things like annual checkups, screenings, etc. Something that many Americans do not have access to, and something that is extremely important at catching potential diseases and illnesses early in the process and before they happen.
Here's the exact quote:
“You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention—it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting."

Pelosi herself says the legislation is about preventing disease-inducing behavior, not about disease or the medical care necessary to treat disease.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:42 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,959 times
Yeah Healthcare workers coming in your home without warrents to see how your children are being raised........

Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
She said what she said and totally stood by it.

Says everything about her character.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
She said what she said and totally stood by it.

Says everything about her character.
She HAS character?? Huh...who knew?

On an unrelated note, it looks like she was aware of problems with Massa in October, according to one of her aides. Not February, as she stated.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:04 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Frightening thing is she does not see anything wrong with her thought process!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:17 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
I do know what's in it. You could also, if you take the time to explore the actual bill. I am referring to the Senate bill, which has been available on line for quite some time. The Presidents proposal is also available to review. It would require some effort, on your part, to read and understand what is in them. The out of context quote you provide, is simply Pelosi saying that unless you take the time, the fog and misrepresentations surrounding the bill, would mean you wouldn't find out what is in it until you experience it. If you have an interest in actually knowing what she was saying, you can find the full text of her speech to the National Assoc of Counties on line as well. There are several things I do not like about the bill, primarily no Public Option, but the positives in the bill, far outweigh the negatives.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:25 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I do know what's in it. You could also, if you take the time to explore the actual bill. I am referring to the Senate bill, which has been available on line for quite some time. The Presidents proposal is also available to review. It would require some effort, on your part, to read and understand what is in them. The out of context quote you provide, is simply Pelosi saying that unless you take the time, the fog and misrepresentations surrounding the bill, would mean you wouldn't find out what is in it until you experience it. If you have an interest in actually knowing what she was saying, you can find the full text of her speech to the National Assoc of Counties on line as well. There are several things I do not like about the bill, primarily no Public Option, but the positives in the bill, far outweigh the negatives.
No, actually you don't know what's in the bill. None of us do. We know what's in the Senate bill, which will have to be passed as is by the House for the process to proceed. After that, it's kind of up in the air.

Reconciliation can be a dicey affair. Can't say for certain what will survive, what will be eliminated. It will be a very fluid process, and considering the track record of past bills, I'm not expecting a lot of advance info.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Heard this last night, it would be pretty funny if it weren't so sad and scary..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies