Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see the U.S. split up?
Yes 40 37.04%
No 58 53.70%
Not sure 10 9.26%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So what's your citizens solution or is your m.o. to just bitc$ and not offer solutions in life?
I am in total agreement that we need health care reform. I am completely against the Federal Gov't mandating that citizens purchase anything.

I think we need a national health care plan. But it should be optional. People should never be required to purchase health care coverage. You don't tax people simply for the privilege of breathing.

I like the idea of allowing citizens to buy into Medicare early. Medicare is about bankrupt. Allowing people to purchase coverage through Medicare could have strengthened that program. Your rates could be based on a sliding scale. That way all the bleeding heart liberals could sleep at night knowing the economically challenged were being taken care of.

But purchasing health insurance should never be mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 PM

948 posts, read 894,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I am in total agreement that we need health care reform. I am completely against the Federal Gov't mandating that citizens purchase anything.

I think we need a national health care plan. But it should be optional. People should never be required to purchase health care coverage. You don't tax people simply for the privilege of breathing.

I like the idea of allowing citizens to buy into Medicare early. Medicare is about bankrupt. Allowing people to purchase coverage through Medicare could have strengthened that program. Your rates could be based on a sliding scale. That way all the bleeding heart liberals could sleep at night knowing the economically challenged were being taken care of.

But purchasing health insurance should never be mandatory.
Even though my softer side of Sears says this makes sense and should be an option and is probably what many people think, my Lowe's side says NO! Government should follow the Constitution and allow states and the private sector to run these industries.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:04 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Look, even if Republicans win in 2012, the interest rate rising on our short term bonds will literally bankrupt DC. Even cutting everything but military, SS, and Medicare won't be enough to stop the default. Republicans will start some new war to claim additional resources and the country will have had enough. The split up will happen whether Obama wins in 2012 or not. There was just too much damage to this country from the past 40 years of the "great society", Reagan deficit spending, Bush deficit spending, and Obama MASSIVE deficit spending. I'm sorry to bring you this news folks.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 PM

948 posts, read 894,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Look, even if Republicans win in 2012, the interest rate rising on our short term bonds will literally bankrupt DC. Even cutting everything but military, SS, and Medicare won't be enough to stop the default. Republicans will start some new war to claim additional resources and the country will have had enough. The split up will happen whether Obama wins in 2012 or not. There was just too much damage to this country from the past 40 years of the "great society", Reagan deficit spending, Bush deficit spending, and Obama MASSIVE deficit spending. I'm sorry to bring you this news folks.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:16 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,891,088 times
Quote:
Even though my softer side of Sears says this makes sense and should be an option and is probably what many people think, my Lowe's side says NO! Government should follow the Constitution and allow states and the private sector to run these industries.
And I agree with you...sort of. I just don't think it's realistic. We basically have an entire group of people in our country who are, well...useless. I hate to use that word. But it's true. They are completely useless. We have to keep them healthy, fed, and housed so that they don't make us sick and so that they don't come and steal our stuff. So we really have no choice but to provide assistance. No amount of intervention is ever going to change the way that population thinks. It's an entire generation of entitlement. They are not going to go to work not because they can't find jobs, but because they don't see the value.

Look at the people coming into our country from Mexico...both those here legally and illegally. They have found jobs. They are some of the hardest working people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We have people who come into this country without even the ability to speak our language. And yet they find work. So how is it possible that we have an entire generation of people who are educated in our public schools and who are given handouts left and right, that cannot find work. It doesn't make sense.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
The only split I would like to see is to send all the GOP terrorists to Guantanamo bay where they can feel at home with Islamist murderers! Good riddance! Maybe they should brush-up on their Quran though.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
Yep, and they would get the oil, the river, and the breadbasket.

And as soon as their country was extremely successful, again, the north would invade it,,, AGAIN.
If I think for a few minutes, a "blue" nation would be quite nice:

We'd have NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, Minneapolis, LA, SF, Seattle, etc..

We'd get some great farmland in IA, MI, MN, WI and IL, and we'd control the Great Lakes, along with the St. Lawrence Seaway..

We'd have CA! ( and WA and OR, too)...

We'd have New England, and both coasts..

We'd have great universities, tourism, natural scenery..and..

We'd have the ACELA, or Amtrak's high-speed NE Corridor train

But I don't want to think about it TOO much...

Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The only split I would like to see is to send all the GOP terrorists to Guantanamo bay where they can feel at home with Islamist murderers! Good riddance! Maybe they should brush-up on their Quran though.

maybe at least the terrorists will get their just due.

because they sure as heck wont get it in the hands of the democrat party.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If I think for a few minutes, a "blue" nation would be quite nice:

We'd have NYC, Boston, Chicago, DC, Minneapolis, LA, SF, Seattle, etc..

We'd get some great farmland in IA, MI, MN, WI and IL, and we'd control the Great Lakes, along with the St. Lawrence Seaway..

We'd have CA! ( and WA and OR, too)...

We'd have New England, and both coasts..

We'd have great universities, tourism, natural scenery..and..

We'd have the ACELA, or Amtrak's high-speed NE Corridor train

But I don't want to think about it TOO much...
You'll be stuck with flying between those places, because we're gonna charge you up the *** for toll.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,393,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
maybe at least the terrorists will get their just due.

because they sure as heck wont get it in the hands of the democrat party.
Right, the Republican terrorists will most certainly "get their just due." As I recall, Timothy McVie was executed after murdering 168 Americans, including 19 children. Enemies of America always have their place: prisons!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies