Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 08:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I want a complete accounting (with documentation) of all the refund money you've spent over the last 10 years, and God save you if you've spent any of my money on frivolous crap.

If you call that a personal attack I suggest you just log off the internet because you obviously don't have a spine.
If that refund money is from overpayment of taxes..that is THEIR money, not yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 08:21 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If that refund money is from overpayment of taxes..that is THEIR money, not yours.
Don't you see what I'm doing?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:21 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Don't you see what I'm doing?
talking in circles ?

Old 04-10-2010, 10:35 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippyman View Post
That is BS. Many attend junior college now with no intent to support themselves. Mommy and Daddy will always be there.
Thats it. Ive had just about enough of your garbage about those attending a "junior college". My "Mommy and Daddy" cant afford to help me...and I know they wont always be there. Thats why Im in school, so I wont have to keep my crappy job and wait on judgemental $%$^!@%^. So maybe, just maybe mind you, I can do more for my parents when they're old besides simply put food on the table as I do now.

Not everyone who recieved that credit is a shoe/purse happy dimwit. Some of us cant effin afford a 4 year college, despite having both worked and going to college at the same time, STILL maintaining a 3.7 GPA. Assumptions like yours REALLY **** me off.

Some of us have to pay our expenses out of pocket, and when you make what amounts to jack-diddly-squat after your own living expenses are taken care of, that gets a little difficult. With all the cuts these morons in government are making to education, its nice to FINALLY see us college students catching some sort of break.

My savings was down to $20 around tax time. We wont even go into the checking account. It had about 5 bucks. So sweetie, I was VERY surprised and happy to find that I was eligible for a tax credit. Know where it went? Half to my bills, $60 for a nice dinner for myself and my mother, and the rest is sitting pretty in savings, waiting to pay for next semester's class.

Some people are idiots with their money...but assuming it applies to everyone is simply asinine.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:46 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Thats it. Ive had just about enough of your garbage about those attending a "junior college". My "Mommy and Daddy" cant afford to help me...and I know they wont always be there. Thats why Im in school, so I wont have to keep my crappy job and wait on judgemental $%$^!@%^. So maybe, just maybe mind you, I can do more for my parents when they're old besides simply put food on the table as I do now.

Not everyone who recieved that credit is a shoe/purse happy dimwit. Some of us cant effin afford a 4 year college, despite having both worked and going to college at the same time, STILL maintaining a 3.7 GPA. Assumptions like yours REALLY **** me off.

Some of us have to pay our expenses out of pocket, and when you make what amounts to jack-diddly-squat after your own living expenses are taken care of, that gets a little difficult. With all the cuts these morons in government are making to education, its nice to FINALLY see us college students catching some sort of break.

My savings was down to $20 around tax time. We wont even go into the checking account. It had about 5 bucks. So sweetie, I was VERY surprised and happy to find that I was eligible for a tax credit. Know where it went? Half to my bills, $60 for a nice dinner for myself and my mother, and the rest is sitting pretty in savings, waiting to pay for next semester's class.

Some people are idiots with their money...but assuming it applies to everyone is simply asinine.

I don't say this often,

But damn.

You go

Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Interesting to see how many people support the redistribution of wealth that might be spent on purses and shoes vs day to day expenses or credit card debt/student loans.
First of all, you've by now surely read the many posts from college students who talk about using the refunds to pay for student loans and other "practical" things. If someone want to buy a new purse with her tax refund, what is it to you? Once the money is gone, it's gone!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
First of all, you've by now surely read the many posts from college students who talk about using the refunds to pay for student loans and other "practical" things. If someone want to buy a new purse with her tax refund, what is it to you? Once the money is gone, it's gone!
Perhaps they want some big government agency, to make sure that they are only spending the money on books, coffee, and tuition. God forbid we allow students to learn on their own. We should make sure that we waste tons of money enforcing so we "feel better about spreading the wealth", instead of allowing the money to be spent on more good kids.

There will always be some sort of abuse of any system. The fact is, most students use the money in the best way possible. One student doesn't make all others look bad.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:21 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
My friend's daughter and daughter-in-law received more than $4000 from the IRS. They paid nothing near that in taxes but the fact that they attended a junior college qualified them for "credits". I guess this is my wealth being redistributed. I can tell you that these two young women will not spend the money wisely.
You're breaking my heart...

Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

Most people have the utmost respect for hard working young people like yourself and have walked in your shoes. My hats off. Keep working hard and don't listen to people like this. Most of the stories here are usually made up anyway, half claiming to be retired, the other half are doctors. So take these type of "people" with a grain of salt.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Perhaps they want some big government agency, to make sure that they are only spending the money on books, coffee, and tuition. God forbid we allow students to learn on their own. We should make sure that we waste tons of money enforcing so we "feel better about spreading the wealth", instead of allowing the money to be spent on more good kids.

There will always be some sort of abuse of any system. The fact is, most students use the money in the best way possible. One student doesn't make all others look bad.
Coffee? Surely you jest! Surely there is a better use for that money than a cup of coffee, worse yet, several cups! (J/K)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies