Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 04:33 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippyman View Post
My friend's daughter and daughter-in-law received more than $4000 from the IRS. They paid nothing near that in taxes but the fact that they attended a junior college qualified them for "credits". I guess this is my wealth being redistributed. I can tell you that these two young women will not spend the money wisely.
Hand outs are bad long term. But one big one once a year is better than small ones all year long. That isn't real wealth redistribution. Not in terms of the total distribution of wealth. Changing the pay structure does way more and that is far subtler to see than what you are seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 04:35 PM

214 posts, read 130,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Whats wrong with trying to give those in college extra money? As long as they stay in, they'll get decent jobs, and pay in far more in taxes over the rest of their lifetime, than they ever withdrew.

As far as "I know they won't spend it wisely" thing, thats just the age old young vs. old.
This is the mentality that will destroy the United States of America. They have both graduated are working in minimum wage jobs.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:44 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,035 times
Quote:
My friend's daughter and daughter-in-law received more than $4000 from the IRS. They paid nothing near that in taxes but the fact that they attended a junior college qualified them for "credits". I guess this is my wealth being redistributed. I can tell you that these two young women will not spend the money wisely.
Wealth distribution is the perfect description.

And every refund I ever got in college went towards paying for tuition even though I always wanted to do something "stupid" with it like burn it on label purses and shoes. Damn, I wish I wasn't so responsible.

Let those girls have their fun. If they are smart, they will get good paying careers - or marry smart - and then they will be in the same boat as you and I are in. Otherwise, we'll be supporting them for the rest of their lives. They'll get their once a year of fun but there's nothing like financial stability, even if it is at the expense of paying Uncle Sam his 35% cut (closer to 50% I'm sure if you factor in state and local taxes).

Old 04-10-2010, 04:47 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
This is the mentality that will destroy the United States of America. They have both graduated are working in minimum wage jobs.
Thats your opinion. However, time and time again, nothing is proven to be a better investment in our countries future, than education.

For every dollar spent by the government on education, we receive 10 back in return. Even counting the few "bad apples" as you listed earlier.

On another note, you didn't say what their degree was for, or what their jobs are, or that they are working.

Assuming that you are paying part of their bills, or for part of their education, you yourself should have qualified for tax reductions because of that. I know that, because I pay for someones expenses while she is going to school, and I get to claim her as a dependent, and write off any school supplies and tuition I have paid.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Wealth distribution is the perfect description.

And every refund I ever got in college went towards paying for tuition even though I always wanted to do something "stupid" with it like burn it on label purses and shoes. Damn, I wish I wasn't so responsible.

Let those girls have their fun. If they are smart, they will get good paying careers - or marry smart - and then they will be in the same boat as you and I are in. Otherwise, we'll be supporting them for the rest of their lives. They'll get their once a year of fun but there's nothing like financial stability, even if it is at the expense of paying Uncle Sam his 35% cut (closer to 50% I'm sure if you factor in state and local taxes).
In this economy they are not likely to get good paying jobs and they seem to be quite content making minimum wage.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:50 PM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
I think some missed the point. They did not get a "REFUND". They got back MORE than they paid in taxes.

That is what is unfair.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I've got a niece with a Masters who took a job as secretary in a Temp Company.
She's content..she has to be as she cannot find a job in her field and gave up for now.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think some missed the point. They did not get a "REFUND". They got back MORE than they paid in taxes.

That is what is unfair.
Exactly. These two young women are not likely to ever be real taxpayers. One is 23 years old with 4 children and the other is 25 years old with a history of having multiple jobs from which she was fired.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:09 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
No it's not.
^ part of the reason we are trillions of dollars in debt.

Heck its not our money. Why should we get a say so in the money we work to earn

So does that mean you'll just pass out your money and not want it to be accounted for?

Old 04-10-2010, 05:10 PM

These kind if handouts encourage people to reach for the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies