Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group.
Agree 82 26.80%
Disagree 210 68.63%
Not sure 14 4.58%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:25 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I definitely think Homogenous countries are far more ideal than their multicultural counterparts but we have to deal with the fact that blacks have been here for 100s of years and will always be here.
Black families used to be very strong, have good morals and work ethic... I do believe Black people can overcome the worst stereotypes of their race and eradicating thug culture would be a huge step toward achieving that.
I agree with everything you said here.

From what I understand, the Black family was intact and Black businesses were thriving (such as Harlem) before the "Great" Society. After the Great Society, things began to break down, and now we are facing major problems.

It may not be easy, but government dependence must stop ASAP. It will make the country a better place for our children. If groups don't want to interact, so be it, but we all have a right to liberty and our government continues to grow stronger and suppress said liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,414 times
Why are Americans so butt hurt talking about race? It's not that serious. We live in a progressively much less racist era than our forefathers. We have a Black president for God's sake. That is huge progress. Crime has gone down drastically in the past two decades and tens of thousands of formerly inner city Blacks have suburbanized and live in much safer environments today.

People in America fail to realize the complex dynamics of race. You can't paint all people who have the same physical features with the same brush. A White guy who is a biker or a skinhead with tons of tattoos faces a lot of discrimination and will have a hard time getting legitimate jobs and will be harassed by the police. A Carlton Banks-esque Black male who was born into a rich family in a predominantly White suburb faces the same feelings of being an oddball as a poor Eminem-esque token White kid in a Black neighborhood in a ghetto city like Baltimore or Detroit. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Some White women and Italian guidos on Jersey Shore get tans to look darker while some darker-skinned Black celebrities have caught backlash for lightening their complexion (i.e. Sammy Sosa, Lil Kim, Michael Jackson). Although people will argue to the death, there is an element of truth to every stereotype. However, stereotypes are not meant to be applied to everybody who has a certain set of physical characteristics associated with a certain race. Every race has both positive and negative stereotypes; the latter contributes to discrimination. Black men dominate popular music and professional sports but young Black men are also disproportionately represented in the American prison population, are more likely to be poor and or unemployed are much more likely to be robbed or murdered than Whites. White men dominate American society; although there is a great amount of economic diversity in the earnings of White males in this country from very rich to dirt poor to middle class. White men are looked at as uncool, sheltered and spoiled in the eyes of many Blacks and Latinos. Asian men are looked at as being smart, better educated and more likely to make more money than other groups although Asian men are generally looked at as being nerdy, uptight, autistic, socially unacceptable, unattractive and undesirable to women of all races, including many Asian women, in American society. So as we can see here, everyone in American society faces discrimination on some level.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
BTW...

What rivalries still exist among Germanic peoples in Europe and how are they attributable to battles fought amongst each other 100s-1000s of years ago??
The Saxons and Franks (both Germanic tribes) are rivals to this day. England vs France. Not to mention the English and their fear/hostility towards Germany. World War II might explain it, but that just proves my point anyway.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 AM

13 posts, read 8,444 times
@tim6624

Disparage, is what an ignorant monkey does. I am a black male and i will be the first to tell you that the black community has serious problems with ignorance. Emotions override far to many people's intelligence causing them to lash out and act in destructive ways that create greater stigmas and consequences that are to be suffered.

I do not agree with a number of things that you say but i still have respect for you as a human being to hear you out. With people like itshim, who needs enemies?

Do you see how easy it is to divide and conquer the black man because of the lower intellects? At the least, if you were smart and had an issue with any of my comments, being that we share a resemblance and are fighting for the same goal, why not send me a personal message? No! He blasts divisive ignorance on a post board that potentially millions of viewers can see. And at the end of the day the only thing people are going to do is go back and read it and come to the conclusion that it is typical nigg(e)r sh*t.

This is even more of an example why i believe blacks and whites need to re-segregate so we can tend to our own (especially blacks). The first thing, individuals like him would be educated and if that didn't work they would be shot, to help cleanse the group. Until blacks lift themselves up out of shame, they will not receive respect in the eyes of other races, because it will be profitable to keep them right where they are at.

I know it may seem radical, but sometimes that is whats needed to fix a radically extreme problem. You even stated your self that tribal war/ racism has always existed (which i agree) and will always exist (i agree again). So the best choice i see for the future is for the races to split. Even when whites engage in miscegenation with blacks, their offspring suffer from extreme prejudices, from both sides, and even from their parents... (The uncomfortable truth!) and then the race question becomes eternal causing extreme discomfort and alienation!!

My family is from the Caribbean and i am a product of miscegenation (white grandmother) and i have studied in Latin America where it occurs even on a larger scale, the results are still the same (mostly negative), causing individuals to be eternally confused and suffer from hate from both races.

If we didnt live in this racially polarized world, maybe it would be mostly positive (attraction,intrigue,etc) but as of 2012 that just is not the reality!

Last edited by clayvee; 03-13-2012 at 01:09 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
I believe straight White males make up 95% of all CEOs and Senators in the USA. They are also similarly represented in the US military and other areas of leadership. I don't know about you but that doesn't sound like a discriminated group. Since they are so overwhelmingly overrepresented in these leadership positions, disfranchised White males would do better to target powerful White males instead of powerless minority groups with their grievances.
It depends how you define 'white'

Are Jews white, or a distinct race?

If they are a distinct race, then whites cannot make up 95% of the Senate.
Ten of the 100 U.S. Senators are Jewish. We are five times over-represented in the U.S. Senate
American Jews

Just looking solely at skin colour and gender is only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Also consider the age of the Senators. Most are probably over 50, where whites still have a clear demographic majority. The US population is skewed by the young. Obviously many more under 25s and even more so under 16 are not white, so skew the statistics to look more non-white than the Senate demographic. Yet you wouldnt expect them to be CEOs or Senators by that age!

Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 AM

13 posts, read 8,444 times
@ LondonAreaWeatherSummary

Those with power do not like to give up their power!! And who is going to replace them? Blacks populations have been decreasing. Hispanics? Whom are overwhelmingly white! And yes jews are white! If they have political or religious dictates that make them function in a different way, that is totally another argument.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:20 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
Uh no. No way in heck. I mean I've heard of one or two instances of "reverse-discrimination", but let's face it. The world is the white man's oyster. Always has been, and appears to still be so.

I went on a date last summer with a guy who was the epitome of the "whiny white male". He was a total jackass and had nothing nice to say about anything, and he portrayed himself to be racist pretty early on but one thing that really stuck with me was at the end of the date when we got into a conversation about Eminem and he said, I kid you not "it's nice to see a white guy succeed in black music". It took all my energy not to just burst out laughing at that point. And he seemed so cool when I first met him before the date.

Nothing makes my blood boil more than blanket, dumb-ass statements about any group of people. For some reason I've found my acquaintance among quite a few racist punks and I have no idea why, if they're multiplying, hiding, or just hide who they are until they think it's safe or what???

Maybe it's a sign to start punching people in the face?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:05 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
well, they are expected to make more of themselves and are ridiculed if they aren't the most by society.. jokes about 'mom's basement and the like would never be aimed at black men or women. They are simply not held to as high a standard. There is certainly 'reverse discrimination' whereas blacks commit crimes and they conveniently leave out the race because the fact of the matter is blacks commit far more crimes as a percentage of the population. Facts are facts. Whether it's because of genetics, culture, or discrimination, I'll leave that for others to decide.

Whites discriminated against though? Not particularly, unless they are the ones living in mom's basement. Despite the attempts by the media to make everything equal and to make black culture look 'cool' , this is still a white man's world.

People do tend to mix up 'whites' with 'jews' when jews make up a disproportionate amount of the power structure in our country. I don't really care anymore though, we have a pretty good standard of living and a pretty open culture. There's no need to take everything in life so seriously. The people who judge and condemn others for silly things are the ones with the problem. Live and let live.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz;
People do tend to mix up 'whites' with 'jews' when jews make up a disproportionate amount of the power structure in our country. I don't really care anymore though, we have a pretty good standard of living and a pretty open culture. There's no need to take everything in life so seriously. The people who judge and condemn others for silly things are the ones with the problem. Live and let live.

I am REALLY struggling with the notion that some people have that "Jewish" is really some kind of "other race." This is an idea that is usually advanced by white nationalists.

I just don't get it. Not only do Jews intermarry heavily these days (outside of Hassidic communities, but even there, the only requirement is to marry another Hassidic), but Jews are of all colors... from black Ethiopian Jews, to more Sephardic, to Ashkenazi.

Jews in America are OVERWHELMINGLY of the white variety, and from Central/Eastern Europe - German, Polish, Russian. Some of the Jewish people I work with (and I work in a field with a lot of Jewish people) are blonde and blue eyed, and one is so pale her skin is almost translucent!

Do Jewish make up a disproportionate amount of the power structure? Probably. But just like Asians dominating certain fields, I tend to put a lot of stock in cultural values/mother's guilt/high achieving expectations aspect of the stereotypical Jewish culture.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:28 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't believe that the majority of heterosexual white men think of themselves as persecuted victims, but it's clear that some do. Perhaps those who believe they are discriminated against can explain why they feel this way.
I can't say if this is true among the private citizens, but government does not seem to have any problem writing laws that discriminate against white men, or at a minimum, to elevate the rights and privileges of everyone else above those of white men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies