Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group.
Agree 82 26.80%
Disagree 210 68.63%
Not sure 14 4.58%
Voters: 306. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
That's not necessarily discrimination in the context of this thread. I would imagine the number of jobs that blind people can actually do, and are qualified for is very low.

A blind person can't work the vast majority of jobs, especially unskilled labor jobs.
Pure ignorance. Blind people can do most jobs. Pretty much the only jobs blind people can't do are ones that are completely dependent upon seeing--such as being a cab driver, or pilot. And blind people can do unskilled labor--in fact the blind services I worked with in NC had a program to employ blind people at a sewing factory for the military. Of course, more high-end jobs like computer technology, law, and medicine, are also doable blind. It's this kind of ignorance that leads to the 70% unemployment rate, because a lot of employers have the same perspective as you, and are under the impression they know what the blind can and can't do, despite never having actually met a blind person in real life (in 99.9% of all cases).

Like I said, are white men really the most discriminated against? There is a whole lot more ignorance, and therefore discrimination, happening to blind people, not just in terms of employment, but in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
That's not necessarily discrimination in the context of this thread. I would imagine the number of jobs that blind people can actually do, and are qualified for is very low.

A blind person can't work the vast majority of jobs, especially unskilled labor jobs.
All blind people are not totally blind; there's a range of sight. Certainly there are limitations - a blind person would be pretty bad at, say, filing - but they can do a lot more than you (and apparently many employers) think they can.

And my ex, who was legally blind, was flat out told by many companies that they would not hire him once they found out he was blind. No matter what the job, except for a paper route. Later, he was lucky enough to get a computer job for a bakery company, because they were willing to accommodate his low vision.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Pure ignorance. Blind people can do most jobs. Pretty much the only jobs blind people can't do are ones that are completely dependent upon seeing--such as being a cab driver, or pilot. And blind people can do unskilled labor--in fact the blind services I worked with in NC had a program to employ blind people at a sewing factory for the military. Of course, more high-end jobs like computer technology, law, and medicine, are also doable blind. It's this kind of ignorance that leads to the 70% unemployment rate, because a lot of employers have the same perspective as you, and are under the impression they know what the blind can and can't do, despite never having actually met a blind person in real life (in 99.9% of all cases).
Well, I'm game - "Larry, you may be blind, but you have heart, you're our new crossing guard!"

Besides which, will a blind person do the job as well, will the employer have to make no special accommodations for them?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm game - "Larry, you may be blind, but you have heart, you're our new crossing guard!"

Besides which, will a blind person do the job as well, will the employer have to make no special accommodations for them?
Depends on the job.

There are countless numbers of jobs out there. It's amazing how so many sighted people manage to focus on the handful of jobs blind people can't do, rather than the thousands of jobs blind people can do. When are people going to start thinking in terms of "can" and not "can't"?

I can, and have done the following:
1) a computer desk job
2) a customer service job
3) tutoring (languages, swimming, and braille technology)
4) interpreting and translating.

Did I need accommodations? Yes, but they were either cheap and easy, or I set them up myself. For example I already have adaptive technology on my computer and I didn't need special accommodations to tutor people or interpret spoken languages.

So a blind person can't be an an air traffic controller but there are tons of jobs out there that blind people can do. It's that ignorance that leads to discrimination. I walk into an interview room and the first thing that pops into the HR person's head is the list of things I can't do, rather than the list of things I can do.

What was that about white men being the most discriminated against? Unless that white man is blind...

Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,842 times
Quote:

i don't know but i'm surprised these employers aren't going against the americans with disabilities act. if a person only needs a reasonable accommodation, they aren't supposed to deny them employment.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Depends on the job.

There are countless numbers of jobs out there. It's amazing how so many sighted people manage to focus on the handful of jobs blind people can't do, rather than the thousands of jobs blind people can do. When are people going to start thinking in terms of "can" and not "can't"?

I can, and have done the following:
1) a computer desk job
2) a customer service job
3) tutoring (languages, swimming, and braille technology)
4) interpreting and translating.

Did I need accommodations? Yes, but they were either cheap and easy, or I set them up myself. For example I already have adaptive technology on my computer and I didn't need special accommodations to tutor people or interpret spoken languages.

So a blind person can't be an an air traffic controller but there are tons of jobs out there that blind people can do. It's that ignorance that leads to discrimination. I walk into an interview room and the first thing that pops into the HR person's head is the list of things I can't do, rather than the list of things I can do.

What was that about white men being the most discriminated against? Unless that white man is blind...
So as a blind person, you had jobs a blind person could do? You should go give those 70% of blind people that are lazy bums to get out there and get employed...

Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
i don't know but i'm surprised these employers aren't going against the americans with disabilities act. if a person only needs a reasonable accommodation, they aren't supposed to deny them employment.
Right, but who wants to pay for that when they can avoid it? Further - even if a blind person can do a job, can they do it as well and as easily as a non-blind person?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM

15,096 posts, read 8,641,275 times
Quote:
Dear straight white sighted men, get a blind cane and some sunglasses and see how long it takes to find a job, let alone keep one. Then get back to me with the answer to the title thread--"Straight white men face more discrimination in American society than any other group. Agree or disagree?" The answer will be quite obvious.

Also, before anyone criticizes me for anecdotal evidence, I would just like to let it be known that the blind have a 70% unemployment rate.
This is perhaps the prime example of intellectual blindness, which may be your greatest handicap.

Of course it's going to be difficult for handicapped people to find suitable employment, particularly when Millions free of any handicap are also unemployed and looking for work. The very nature of being handicapped is no doubt a challenge as well as an extreme disadvantage in a competitive environment, but has nothing whatsoever to do with being unfairly treated, unless your gripe is with God and the harsh hand dealt you.

Is society to blame for your blindness? Is it wrong for people to frown upon the idea of their heart surgeon being legally blind? The Bus driver? The airline pilot? The fact that such conditions are labeled a "handicap" should be your first clue. The facts are, a sighted person is capable of a broader range of tasks and jobs that need to be done than a blind person is .... that's not discrimination ... that's just the cold hard reality.

You won't find many paraplegics as Olympic runners ... police officers ... UPS drivers. It's just the reality of their unfortunate situation, and is totally irrelevant to the topic of "discrimination". It's a limitation presented by the condition itself, and not an artificial roadblock created from someone else's malice toward such people suffering that limitation.

Walking through a hospital today, I noticed a sign on a door that said "Electrical" .... obviously an electrical closet. Below the written words was braille. Are we now to assume that it's normal to have blind electricians? Just stick your hands in there and feel around?

The major handicap I see happening today is located in the empty space between people's ears.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
All blind people are not totally blind; there's a range of sight. Certainly there are limitations - a blind person would be pretty bad at, say, filing - but they can do a lot more than you (and apparently many employers) think they can.

And my ex, who was legally blind, was flat out told by many companies that they would not hire him once they found out he was blind. No matter what the job, except for a paper route. Later, he was lucky enough to get a computer job for a bakery company, because they were willing to accommodate his low vision.
Really? I have a legally blind friend who used to do filing at her local library. She had the job for a very long time so I can't imagine she was messing up very much, or they would have canned her sooner.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
This is perhaps the prime example of intellectual blindness, which may be your greatest handicap.

Of course it's going to be difficult for handicapped people to find suitable employment, particularly when Millions free of any handicap are also unemployed and looking for work. The very nature of being handicapped is no doubt a challenge as well as an extreme disadvantage in a competitive environment, but has nothing whatsoever to do with being unfairly treated, unless your gripe is with God and the harsh hand dealt you.

Is society to blame for your blindness? Is it wrong for people to frown upon the idea of their heart surgeon being legally blind? The Bus driver? The airline pilot? The fact that such conditions are labeled a "handicap" should be your first clue. The facts are, a sighted person is capable of a broader range of tasks and jobs that need to be done than a blind person is .... that's not discrimination ... that's just the cold hard reality.

You won't find many paraplegics as Olympic runners ... police officers ... UPS drivers. It's just the reality of their unfortunate situation, and is totally irrelevant to the topic of "discrimination". It's a limitation presented by the condition itself, and not an artificial roadblock created from someone else's malice toward such limitations.
Basic statistics here, GuyNTexas.

What's the unemployment rate among the general population? 8.3%

What's the unemployment rate among the blind? 70%

Discrepancy? I think so.

Is society to blame for the fact people are physically blind and there are some physical limitations? No. Is there discrimination against blind people? Yes. Is society to blame for the component of the unemployment rate that is a result of sighted people assuming the blind are much more handicapped than they really are? Yes.

Did I ever say that a blind person should do heart surgery or be a bus driver? No. Did I point out that most people focus on what blind people can't do, and not what they can? Yes. Is that exactly what you did in your post--pointing out a handful of jobs blind people can't do instead of focusing on what the blind can do? Yep. Thanks for proving my point.

It's discrimination when people's concept of what the blind can and can't do is completely overblown from reality, and blind people are often denied jobs that they CAN do. That's the part that's discrimination.

I'm not saying that blind people should go and fly a plane. But blind people can be lawyers, doctors (exempting the surgical aspect), factory workers, etc. Even the military has blind people working in the civilian branch, Navair (I just got a braille pamphlet about it the other day, lol). More employers need to get on board and realize that they don't know what blind people can and can't do, and they should be asking instead of assuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies