Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 05:11 PM

7 posts, read 7,515 times

Advertisements

why dont they buy back the drugs on the street offer a decent price and the dealers will just sell all there dope to the goverment so poof no more need for gang violence lol and then we can sell the dope to other country or convert it into pharmasuitical grade use. take the profits of it to pay back our increasing debt that this jack ass keeps building up with stimulous bills and pissing money away to other countries for dumb ****.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 05:11 PM

8,455 posts, read 12,239,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k/t/g View Post
this is tottal bull **** lol the only guns a person is going to turn is are ones that dont work and arent worth a ****.
This is about the third or fourth year of the very successful gun buy back program. I turned in an inoperable, one shot shotgun two years ago which was so old it didn't even have a serial number on it! They gave me a credit card worth $100.

In the line were people with guns which belonged to their dead spouses, and one former security guard who turned in an automatic handgun. The program has good results. What folks fail to credit is how many handguns are lost to felons in home burglaries. Better those guns are turned in to the police.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:27 PM

45,791 posts, read 61,187,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
LOL..What talking points? Those were my words and beliefs that you obviously cant dispute. The truth is difficult to refute. Next time all you need to say is, good post. It wont hurt you.

Nor can you refute what I posted, which is that the vast majority of guns turned in during these media events, and that's what they really are, are not the typical guns used in crime. And that does happen to be the truth, not a belief, the truth.
What you posted is posted over a variety of web sites: kids will use any gun they can find, they could be on the streets tomorrow, etc. Those are the talking points I referenced.
Instead you accused me of profiling.

Why should I say "good post"?

Old 05-08-2010, 05:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,667,961 times
Quote:
There's actually no point to miss. Guns are guns. They're all designed to kill, period. Criminals will kill with whatever gun they can get their hands on. The less floating around the better. The funny thing is, youre actually pretending to be able to profile the type of gun a criminal will use. Just because a gun isn't on the street today doesn't mean it wont be on the street tommorrow. Nobody thought kids on the street would be carrying AK-47s. They use whatever is accessible, a Fox SxS Shotgun kills a lot better than a 9mm or a glock 27 does.
Most true criminals, that is, those whose life-style revolves around predatory behavior, the type we have to fear, are not going to be using the type of junk that is usually turned in under inane programs like this. Hell, a rock would probably be more useful in armed robbery than some of that stuff turned in. This is not going to do one damn thing toward reducing crime.

The only good it might do is get rid of some cheap piece of crap that might otherwise have injured someone by blowing up in their hands. Something that most of us who know the slightest thing about firearms wouldn't offer a yankee dime for, much less $75.

I wish I could find the old link, but I remember once reading an article where the reporter went out and asked some of the obvious criminal types who had turned in some guns under one of these "Buy Back" programs (with the promise of anonymity) what gun they turned in and what they planned to do with the money.

The answer was obvious to all except the most naive of gun-control fanatics. That is, the prevelant theme was that it was a cheap Saturday night special bought illegally (imagine that) on the street for $20 Then, turned in for a profit. And the money earmarked to illegally go and buy a better weapon on the said streets. Imagine that again...

Old 05-08-2010, 05:37 PM

7,791 posts, read 8,062,409 times
Quote:
LOL..What talking points? Those were my words and beliefs that you obviously cant dispute. The truth is difficult to refute. Next time all you need to say is, good post. It wont hurt you.
maybe it will be not such a good situation for you someday and you wish you had a gun.just saying

Old 05-08-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
This is about the third or fourth year of the very successful gun buy back program. I turned in an inoperable, one shot shotgun two years ago which was so old it didn't even have a serial number on it! They gave me a credit card worth $100.

In the line were people with guns which belonged to their dead spouses, and one former security guard who turned in an automatic handgun. The program has good results. What folks fail to credit is how many handguns are lost to felons in home burglaries. Better those guns are turned in to the police.
In what way did it have "good results"? Did the crime rate drop?

Old 05-08-2010, 05:44 PM

the people that have guns stolen buy crimanls obviously need to learn how to use thhere weapons to prevent that from hapening. so what your sugesting is that people should turn in there guns and crimals will be the only ones with guns? i must be missing somthing hear. not to mention the fact that turning in a ****y gun for a good profit is a great way for a criminal to go buy a better weapon or even ammo for already owned weapons. and as for the people that just want to get rid of ther loved ones or whatever the cases weapons there are plenty of gun auctions on line or ones you can go to where they could get probably more money for there guns . in fact let me know if any of you guys are wanting to get rid of your guns ill glady take them.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:59 PM

18,339 posts, read 26,601,619 times
Quote:
There's actually no point to miss. Guns are guns. They're all designed to kill, period. Criminals will kill with whatever gun they can get their hands on. The less floating around the better. The funny thing is, youre actually pretending to be able to profile the type of gun a criminal will use. Just because a gun isn't on the street today doesn't mean it wont be on the street tommorrow. Nobody thought kids on the street would be carrying AK-47s. They use whatever is accessible, a Fox SxS Shotgun kills a lot better than a 9mm or a glock 27 does.
A bit dense?

It's not criminals turning in guns (it's their potential victims doing so), the guns turned in are unlikely to ever be used in crime (I doubt the average criminal would even know how to use a Spencer and would probably blow up an antique shotgun with smokeless powder).

You claim DC has its lowest crime rate in years yet it's far higher than elsewhere. DC's crime went up after banning handguns. Vermont has more guns than DC and far less crime too.

It should be a crime to destroy some of the historic weapons I've seen pictures of in these grabs.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
What folks fail to credit is how many handguns are lost to felons in home burglaries. Better those guns are turned in to the police.
Whaaaa? Better folks turn in their handguns to the police rather than risk them getting stolen by burglars????

For starters, what then, pray tell, are they to use to use to defend their home and family against the said burglars? Or, is it the contention that if no guns are found within the said household, the burglar(s) might turn around and go home because no guns were in the house? Another wasted night. No guns in this place. Might as well go catch a movie...

With all due respect, this doesn't make the slightest bit of practical sense.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:32 PM

texasreb i drink a beer to that statement my friend. now if only the rest of the world would come to reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies