Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask what it is you think he was elected for. The White House has had some serious candlepower sitting in the hot seat of late but because it didn't come in the usual geeked down package the acumen was overlooked. Jimmy Carter hid rocket scientist credentials behind an aww shucks peanut farmer exterior and was run out of the WH on a rail. Clinton, a Rhoades Scholar, could hardly be considered a rube, but at least one poster here thinks Gingrich has a dual core CPU to bring to the dogfight. I've seen in print, often, the standard delivery of Obama's IQ being 135. More recently I have read, that to people who do this sort of thing for a living, Obama's actual IQ, based on performance is closer to 172. I belive it. My own IQ is 175+ and the saying "it takes one to know one" is very, very true". No, his diction does not have the finest polish. Which President in recent memory has had real Elder Statesman quality? America, it must be said, does not rate intellect that highly. If he wanted it, Clint Eastwood would land the GOP nomination handily. So would, you guessed it, Ahnold. No other country in the world (excepting Italy) would put anyone other than a career politician in charge of the entire country and its military. Could it be that deep down we understand that the position of President is, in many ways, symbolic? Could it be that there is subliminal awareness of the fact that a Cabinet bolsters the performance of the Commander in Chief? Perhaps there is comfort in the knowledge that a Congress, a pretty large Congress, exist to be a check and balance against what might otherwise turn into dictatorship? Present levels of hysteria notwithstanding, I submit that, all in all, the country has never been in better hands. The U.S. could do a lot worse than re-elect Obama.

H
yes congress is to be in place for checks and balances, which hopefully soon, it can return to that role.

As to why he got elected.. well, there are multiple reasons....
For one, yes, he did come off as a good charmer at some points. I mean heck I at one point seen him being interviewed on 20/20 and thought to myself, I may not like his policies, I may not like that he is a Dem, but he seems to be a down to earth family guy.

For two, many people voted for him, because they felt it was the only way to vote against Bush. Many may not understand it this way, but many people at that point considered all Republicans to be Bush's. so since they felt that Bush did so poorly as president, the only way to vote against him, would be to elect a Democrat no matter who it was.

For three, you have those that did it just because they thought it would be cool to vote for him. Those that thought, hey it would be great to say that I voted for the first black man as POTUS. These people voted for him because they thought it would be monumental to do as such.

Four.. you have those that voted for him also because he was half black, but for a different reason. These are the ones that voted for him, to try and show and prove that they are not racist. Much the same as those that say the phrase, "hey I am not racist, I have black friends.".

A lot of the people that I just mentioned, had no clue what his policies were or where he stood on many platforms, they voted for him solely on the basis of the specified reasonings.

While yes there are those that actually believed in Obamas policies and his platforms... the ones that voted for him because of the reasons stated previously, is the reason the vote was so far tipped his way.

I am not saying that he still wouldnt of won, because I don't know for sure, but I am quite sure it would of been such a far tipped scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Any guess's where the Obamas' will live after they get kicked to the curb in 2012?....assumming Americans don't evict them from the White house sooner?
I'm guessing in a house...probably a nice house since they're rich...I dunno was there a punchline here or was this just another "Obama will never get re-elected" thread?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
OP - In the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, DC.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 AM

714 posts, read 1,539,934 times
Who Cares. Every one of them is annoying. Michelle might be at the top of the list. Hopefully, somewhere out in the middle of no where.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
...based on performance is closer to 172. I belive it. My own IQ is 175+...
Oh, the humor.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Oh, the humor.
Oh, the smarm, fixed. Anything else?

Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Oh, the smarm, fixed. Anything else?
Oh you just keep getting better with each try!

Quote:
...based on performance is closer to 172. I beleive it. My own IQ is 175+ ...
psst... I don't think your continued misspelling is the only thing incorrect in that quote.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 AM

608 posts, read 924,100 times
I figure Obama will go to Cali or Hawaii come 2012. May Washington DC and Chicago never be tainted by this anti-American ever again!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
WYS, you should have realized I was playing with you. The first typo was just that. A typo. Indicative of nothing. The edit was deliberate and you jumped on it like a lunkhead on stinkbait. Sad. Now your churlishness is preserved for posterity on the C-D server. Unless you act quickly. Maybe the edit window has timed out and maybe it hasn't, in all the excitement I've forgotten how many minutes have gone by. Do you feel lucky, lunk?

H

Old 06-08-2010, 12:12 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,680 times
This is a valid question and not about whether he'll be elected. If you want to check that bellweather wait till November. I want you to consider if every American would welcome the Obama's after he joins the ranks of the unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies