Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 06:54 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,796,340 times

Advertisements

I agree aridon.

Sams is ok, but only because it's convenient. It's the "Walmart" of big box clubs. I can't wait to go in one last time after Costco opens. I'm sure I'll be the only one in there! Everyone I talk to is waiting with scissors in their hands to cut up their card and head to Costco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 02:21 PM

43 posts, read 71,785 times
In the mid 90's Sam's was pretty good. I miss buying gallons of extra virgin olive oil for $7 and almonds for $2 a pound. I went to Sam's a couple of years ago during one of their free trial days. Their prices were more expensive than Walmart. Why would I pay $50 to pay more?

Costco? They were great in the 1980's. Then they decided to cater towards Yuppie and rich folks. No, I won't pay more for a label that says fair trade or tries to mimic some Whole Foods product. I guess they are fine for the same type of person who doesn't question Publix's absurd prices either. It's all about the look of the store, fancy packaging, and going where other White Liberals gather. They bemoan about social justice, but love paying that white penalty so they don't have to shop where the lesser folks go.... The new Costco would have been better positioned near the Burlington Coat store in PSLW. That Publix has the most traffic between PB County and Orlando. Don't know if Martin offers less redtape or the demographics were better?

BJ's? They seemed to have the right balance for me. But lately they have been jacking up their prices and limiting choices. I can't blame them completely, as most of the issues is the Federal Reserve's money printing and a politician who begs them to lie about the resulting stagflation/unemployment/gdp, etc. But if Aldi and other smaller players have been able to keep their prices in check, I can't see why BJ's can too. I've noticed some items going up 10% and two months later the price increases again. Not sure I'll be renewing my card.

Most of my money goes towards groceries. Wish some other players would enter the market. Western Beef. Krogers. Wegams. I'd even take a Piggly Wiggly. The buyout of Winn-Dixie by Bi-lo didn't drop prices like they offer in their Northern stores. Need more competition...

Old 10-25-2015, 07:23 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
BREAKING NEWS- just for FlaLadyB!

PALM CITY — Costco, the membership-only wholesale store, has made official its plan to build a store and a gas station here.
Costco representatives approached Martin County as far back as a year ago for preliminary discussions. A pre-application meeting with county staff was in May. Now, its official site plan application has been submitted.
Costco wants to build on about 28 acres on the southwest corner of Martin Highway and High Meadow Avenue.
Here are some details of the proposal:
152,661-square-foot building
18 gas pumps
694 parking spots
The main entrance would be on High Meadow Avenue.
The property is designated for industrial use, which would allow the Costco store and gas station.
Martin County staff is to review the application for the first time at a Nov. 19 meeting. A staff report is to be issued by early December.
If plans move forward, the next step would be two public hearings, one by the Local Planning Agency and the second by the County Commission.

oh yes yes yes.... Martin Hwy and High Meadow .. YES!!!!!!!!! easy access !

the location would be right at the turnpike entrance --large empty piece of land on the South side between the turnpike and High Meadows to the East

Last edited by FlaLadyB; 10-25-2015 at 07:34 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 07:52 PM

18 posts, read 30,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12349876 View Post
BJ's? They seemed to have the right balance for me. But lately they have been jacking up their prices and limiting choices. I can't blame them completely, as most of the issues is the Federal Reserve's money printing and a politician who begs them to lie about the resulting stagflation/unemployment/gdp, etc.
BJs raises prices and limits choices because ... Obama.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:30 PM

Wow- I'd love to be a fly on the wall at 12349876's house. Yeesh!

Old 10-27-2015, 04:23 PM

PORT ST. LUCIE — The mere mention of development in Tradition sparks excitement among small-business owners and city officials alike. The City Council on Monday rezoned 487 acres from agricultural use to master planned unit development acres, making way for Keiser University and a host of other potential projects in the area of Tradition dubbed the “economic corridor.”
The $14 million, 74-000-square-foot college building, on about 8 acres, is expected to be completed sometime next year, but, for a strategic reason, property owners asked to rezone much more property than the project needed. They are bracing for a boom with the need for retail, light-industrial manufacturing and housing.
“There’s a large industrial boom occurring in South Florida that’s fueled largely in part by improvements at the port of Miami as well as the growth of international trade around the airports,” said Wes McCurry of Fishkind and Associates, who represents Tradition Land Co., the property owner. “As a result, South Florida industrial rents and land — if you can find it — are at a premium.
“We’re also every encouraged by the prospect activity that we see coming through the Economic Development Council (of St. Lucie County), so as a result, we felt the timing was right to go ahead and rezone this entire 487 parcel to allow for industrial and office uses.”
The news of more potential development near Bagel Brothers of New York in Tradition is exciting for Donna Ceglio, who manages the delicatessen.
“It’s awesome and increases our level of business and we’re crazy busy right now,” Ceglio said.
Development in Tradition stalled after the Great Recession, but is picking up steam again, much to the delight of city officials who envisioned the area as a place to live, work and play.
Tradition Medical Center last week began an expansion project, due to be completed in 2018, that will double its capacity. The stalled Panera Bread restaurant finally is under construction and is to open early next year, and a shopping plaza with yet-to-be-named eateries and a WAWA gas station/convenience store are planned.
“What’s happening in Tradition is very exciting. … Keiser is a continuation of what’s happened with the hospital,” Mayor Greg Oravec said. “Tradition Hospital is the economic engine in that jobs corridor, and just this week we had the (expansion) ground breaking.”

Old 10-27-2015, 05:45 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,201,048 times
I like all of that because of its easy access to everyone. Right off I95. Becker Rd west will become a great location for those plans.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 PM

403 posts, read 1,079,784 times
I always knew that parcel would turn into a Costco. There was no way Walmart would allow a Costco in the County. First thing they would do is close the distribution center and stores and places them right outside city/county limits. It's an astute business strategy but an effective one none the less.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:31 PM

Crosstown Bridge--Big hurdle cleared!

FHWA [and City] prevail in lawsuit against the Bridge. The project can move forward. Let's hope there is no appeal!

Old 11-10-2015, 09:11 AM

6 posts, read 8,171 times
Saw some construction activity at the site of the proposed Town Place at St.Lucie West, between St.Lucie West blv and i-95.

Town Place at St. Lucie West

Can anyone confirm if plans to build are still a go, or if they scrapped it for something else being built now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach