Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach
 [Register]
Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach St. Lucie, Martin, and Indian River counties (Treasure Coast)
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Heritage Oaks Homeowners: Are you satisfied with the quality of the landscaping maintenance services
Yes 10 37.04%
No 17 62.96%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,207,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehunts123 View Post
Hi FlaLadyB.......... Your post didn't come thru. Just a partial quote. Yeeesh, I sure was rambling the other day! LOL (my apologies to anyone who required tylenol after all that)
Yes... I noticed it didn't. I was remarking on all our wildlife that IS here. I love watching all the birds. I have a lake behind me and then the river. Haven't seen the wild boars, but have heard about them. Bats? Would never cross my mind that we have them and you're the first I've heard of that at all. Maybe it's because HALLOWEEN is so close LOL!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:33 AM

36 posts, read 185,739 times
FlaLadyB wrote: "Bats? Would never cross my mind that we have them..."

Yep, bats are actually pretty common all over; not just here in PSL. If you walk outside late at night (as in walking your dog) you can often spot them flying. They tend to live up in the palm trees around here. Some are as small as sparrows and others are as big as crows. They seem to be attracted to the areas surrounding street lamps because of the flying bugs that the lamps attract. I'm not sure what else they eat though. We killed a small (12 inches) striped snake a few nights ago on our driveway and it was gone in the morning. Something obviously took it; perhaps a bat? As long as the bats steer clear of me, I'm okay with them -LOL.

My husband and I commented recently that we haven't seen any squirrels yet here in Heritage Oaks. Maybe our trees are too small or too new for them right now? A year ago we still had no lizards here, but now we're fully stocked in the lizard department. I hope we start seeing squirrels soon. Cute furry creatures will be nice for a change!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:10 PM

Bats in Florida eat insects, not meat. One reason they are around the lights- dinner time!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM

Yes, the bats do seem to like their bugs. We have a street lamp right in the center of our front lawn (such brilliant builders...) which means we have swarms of flying insects in front of our house all night long, from the time the sun goes down to the time the sun comes up. It's an all-night bug buffet for bats, frogs and anything else that eats bugs. Unfortunately, we can't stand outdoors in front of our own house after sundown because of the VAST NUMBER OF HUGE MOSQUITOS that are attracted to the street light as well. Otherwise we become human buffets for the mosquitos! But wait -- I shouldn't go off on a tangent about our brilliantly misplaced street lamps and our severe mosquito problem in this post. This post is supposed to be about bats - lol. I've already mentioned the street lamp issue in a previous post....... I'll talk about the squitos and the standing water issue another time.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:15 PM

10 posts, read 40,889 times
Smile About the critters

I dont live in Heritage Oaks, but all the critters and creatures you talked about are just a part of Florida. We see all those you mentioned and I dont live near construction. About 3 months ago, I almost drove over an alligator trying to cross the street on Westmoreland! I thought it was a log, until it looked right at me!!

I can do without some of the wildlife, like frogs, snakes and alligators. But it is pretty cool to look outside and see an owl staring into your house or see flamingos (yes we saw lots of pink one legged birds near Centennial high school the other week)!

Old 10-23-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhdgrl74 View Post
I dont live in Heritage Oaks, but all the critters and creatures you talked about are just a part of Florida. We see all those you mentioned and I dont live near construction. About 3 months ago, I almost drove over an alligator trying to cross the street on Westmoreland! I thought it was a log, until it looked right at me!!

I can do without some of the wildlife, like frogs, snakes and alligators. But it is pretty cool to look outside and see an owl staring into your house or see flamingos (yes we saw lots of pink one legged birds near Centennial high school the other week)!
You actually got to SEE flamingos! I love it! I have never see one for real. Lots of Sand Hill cranes around my house which I love, plenty of duck and other water birds, but never Flamingos....would love to see them

Old 10-24-2008, 11:12 AM

To redhdgrl74 and FlaLadyB..... Pink Flamingos would definitely be a lovely sight!! Except for the occasional lawn ornament, I haven't seen any in person since we lived in the Miami area. I do love the Sand Hill Cranes though. Such graceful giants! ((Yikes - Can you imagine living in Australia and seeing something as large as an Emu in your yard?!))

Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 PM

4 posts, read 14,339 times
Default Moving into my Heritage Oaks house

I am trying to refinance and move into my de-valued house at Heritage Oaks. After reading some of these posts, I am wondering if I should. Are there really alligators, fire ants, and dark corners everywhere?
Does anyone have any idea about when the Heritage Oaks market will make a recovery? Do you think it is worth waiting for a rebound? Is Tanger still building their outlet center?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 AM

. The market is moving....although slowly. Your house is the same as anybody else's house in any area, not just here in Heritage Oaks.

Tanger is under construction at this very moment as is our new Fire Station which looks almost done.

No, we aren't living in the dark here, we'd just like to have more street lights. Considering other areas, we aren't too bad.

As for the wildlife ...that's everywhere in Florida.. not just here. Quite common.

Do you not live in Florida?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
This thread should probably be moved up to the Treasure Coast Forum now, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Port St. Lucie - Sebastian - Vero Beach