Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area
 [Register]
Portland area Portland, ME metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:57 PM

9,423 posts, read 11,173,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Always without judgement. We cannot tell the little dears that ANY behavior is wrong.

Oh, wait, drawing a picture of a gun is punishable without recourse.

No tolerance for drawings, or plastic butter knives.

Infinite tolerance for underage sex.

What a fascinating society public schools are creating!
Remember The Dark Ages?
The Enlightenment?

This period will probably be referred to as The Insanement.

History-readers hundreds of years from now will not believe that actual non-institutionalized adults mandated policies such as school expulsions for 6-year-olds who draw pictures of guns or who bring soldiers w/guns to school, and BC pills for 10 year olds.

A society run by the insane will destroy itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 04:02 AM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Remember The Dark Ages?
The Enlightenment?

This period will probably be referred to as The Insanement.

History-readers hundreds of years from now will not believe that actual non-institutionalized adults mandated policies such as school expulsions for 6-year-olds who draw pictures of guns or who bring soldiers w/guns to school, and BC pills for 10 year olds.

A society run by the insane will destroy itself.
'will' ???

'will destroy itself'?

that sounds pretty hopeful, and here I had thought it had already happened.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 AM

581 posts, read 713,749 times
Ok, Ok, we'll not pursue the children's chastity belt option. So I suppose that means that our children or grandchildren will simply have their children (IN MAINE - on topic) mandatorily vaccinated in schools for birth control as the only likely practical and effective method. I don't think "Please", "Just Say No.", or Sunday School do the trick any more. A "Moral Society" is a phantom of our past and fading memories.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,386,209 times
I had a foster child that was on the "birth control shot" , Depavera. Kids can go to family planning for birth control, STD testing, and Exams, free.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM

Here it is, looks pretty straight forward: Birth Control Shot

Old 10-31-2007, 11:13 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,386,209 times
Family Planning is a great organization in some cases. We had taken a young lady there shortly after she came to us. She was diagnosed and treated for a STD, had an exam, counselling, and was put on birth control. In my opinion (for what it's worth) it saved this girl. If she had become pregnant at such a young age, it would have destroyed whatever chance she had left (in her circumstances) for an education.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM

You are very likely correct, msina.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:30 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
one side of me says this is absolutely liberalism gone nuts,,,where does this crap stop?? today 11 tomorrow 7??
you cant give a friend at school an aspirin for a headache,,but can get free birth control pills??
however, if we ever talked to dr's and nurses on a baby floor in a hospital, they will tell you, 13-14 yr old girls DO get pregnant , and have kids,

tho, honestly, i believe this is a reflection of the moral breakdown of our society, and the reflection, or ****-poor parenting,,,,,meaning yes, there are some parents, who set horrible examples for kids,,
because we cant "punish" ignorance in parenting , and god forbid, you say "morals" any more or personal responsibility....i believe this is a broad brush attempt, at preventing something devastating to a young girl..
now , what happens, when the government issue "pill" doesnt work,,,,,will the parents of that child sue the government(which is our tax dollars) for 22 million??

it just seems an eleven yr old is a child,,,,

there will be folks fighting to thier death, to give that 11 yr old girl the "right" to have a "pill" ...because its her body,,,,freedom to choose
but picture that same eleven yr old,,lighting up a marlboro,,,and you'd have a firestorm,,from the same folks,,, or going deer hunting with her dad, or (gasp) eating a steak... or trans fat french fries,,, but yet giving a pill to an 11 yr old girl seems normal,,,wtf????????

again,,this is a great example of how, because of the severe lack of parenting morals,,the schools feel they have to take over,,

Old 11-01-2007, 08:12 AM

Lightbulb Mandatory birth control for ALL children

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
because we cant "punish" ignorance in parenting , and god forbid, you say "morals" any more or personal responsibility...
I've got a slightly Orwellian idea...let's look at this from the opposite direction for a moment. How about we pass a state law that mandates that ALL girls (boys too if there's an impotency pill/method for them) starting at age 11 (or 10 or 9, etc.) have to start taking birth control medication administered by a doctor, clinic or school. They would have to stay on this drug until they reach 18. Maybe the program could be extended indefinitely for some... Doesn't that sound like a plan ?

Last edited by DavidoftheNorth; 11-01-2007 at 08:35 AM..

Old 11-01-2007, 08:45 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidoftheNorth View Post
I've got a slightly Orwellian idea...let's look at this from the opposite direction for a moment. How about we pass a state law that mandates that ALL girls (boys too if there's an impotency pill for them) starting at age 11 (or 10 or 9, etc.) have to start taking birth control medication administered by a doctor, clinic or school. They would have to stay on this drug until they reach 18. Doesn't that sound like a plan ?
My feelings on government intrusion into private lives, especially something invasive like that, make me uncomfortable supporting a mandated drug regimen.

I'd sooner be in favor of an overhaul of the "welfare system", a withdrawal of the support that enables (even encourages) irresponsible behavior.

"Orwellian" is an apt term for describing the sort of program you propose. Opening that door establishes a condition whereby the criteria for parenthood could be enlarged to include other factors- not that I don't believe that there are those who *shouldn't* have children, but giving the State the power to choose who does and who doesn't would be a bad move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Portland area