Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM

36 posts, read 95,845 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating in Januaryish.

I've been working a pizza job on the side here, in California. (And I did it in Texas ages ago.)
I've got tons of experience.

I was wondering if you guys thought it would be terribly difficult for me to pick one up quickly. As a survival sort of job until I could find something real. Make sure I have SOME sort of income, when I get up there.

I've got management experience. (But I don't expect to come in and be a manager.)
tons of references. Very trained.
Without being too "technically" over qualified.

But is it really that bad in food service up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:31 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korynnn View Post

I've been working a pizza job on the side here, in California. (And I did it in Texas ages ago.)

I was wondering if you guys thought it would be terribly difficult for me to pick one up quickly. As a survival sort of job until I could find something real. Make sure I have SOME sort of income, when I get up there.

I've got management experience. (But I don't expect to come in and be a manager.)

Your best bet is to contact the various pizza places around town to see if they are hiring. Unfortuantely, your experience may work against you but it is worth a try. The most difficult jobs to come by in Portland are survival jobs.

Also, if you are lucky enough to score a job before you get here, make sure it will be enough for your living expenses. Survival jobs don't pay the rent.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,449,461 times
Minimum wage jobs are getting 500+ resumes off of a single Craigslist posting.

Even with tons of experience, I'd hold off on moving here unless you can come and setup interviews ahead of time.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:59 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,826,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korynnn View Post

Are you kidding? You want to get a job in pizza? In Portland? Portland, Oregon?

Good luck... You'll need it. Not to discourage you, but it is "that bad".

Old 11-11-2010, 02:20 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,486,885 times
Kroynnn:

Dude, with your experience and background, you sound like you would do better running a pizza joint rather than as a dough slinger.

Just asking, have you heard about Portland's foodie carts?
Food Carts Portland
Each 'Pod', or group of Portland Food Carts, is like a large shopping Mall food court, but outdoors, and not as much seating area. Same county health standards as any other restaurant. Mostly eaten standing up and on the go.

These are RV trailers parked on private auto parking lots, modified to be foodie kitchens, and serve out a window to passer-by customers. Low initial investment compared to brick & mortar pizza joints. A really lot of hard long hours of work for little profit, but better than no job at all.

Hint: "Italian Calzones" variety of meats and fillings with large and "watching my weight" sizes.

Phil

Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,589,728 times
Relocating to one of the worst job markets in the nation with the hope you'll land a survival job. This sounds like an absolutely brilliant idea to me. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? With a goal of obtaining a job that attracts/caters/seeks out first time workers aged 16-22, by using experience as your secret weapon, this is sure to work.

In case it was too subtle, that was sarcasm. But hey, it's Portland...not having a plan is the status quo, so at least there will be plenty of company.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,472,976 times
Without without trying to sound nosy, is there a reason you must move to Portland in January? I mean I cannot think of a worse time. Besides the weather, it is the end of the holiday season when employers lay off seasonal workers and people who have lucky enough to have jobs are going to stick to them at least until tax time.

It's good to have a plan but yours is not one that can really be relied upon. Phil's idea of your opening your own pizza place is probably the best offered here. Portland can use some good old Siclian style Chicago-type pizza if you want to specialize.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:33 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,069,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Without without trying to sound nosy, is there a reason you must move to Portland in January? I mean I cannot think of a worse time. Besides the weather, it is the end of the holiday season when employers lay off seasonal workers and people who have lucky enough to have jobs are going to stick to them at least until tax time.

It's good to have a plan but yours is not one that can really be relied upon. Phil's idea of your opening your own pizza place is probably the best offered here. Portland can use some good old Siclian style Chicago-type pizza if you want to specialize.

I'm willing to believe most cities are just as bad for employment as Portland. I mean they complain of employment issues for cities that even boast LOWER unemployment rates like Austin. They say the same thing as in here. Jobs are scarce and better come with one. Makes me wonder if a little fraud in the % is going on sometimes to make some places look better or worse. I talk to someone in Portland who had little problem of landing a job at Borders but then again, she got a transfer from FL before moving so.. probably took some waiting on her part.

As far as pizza or any type of job, it gets costly to try and set up your own business, but does everyone in here suggest you do it in order to have a job there? Its not like someone can just rent and start up a business.. its a lot of work as well. Portland seems to cater mostly to those who can operate their own startup and do it well or lets say many cities nowadays do unless maybe you move to Oklahoma lol or maybe Utah where they say jobs are plentiful but, cant believe it fully unless you hang out in their forum lol.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,449,461 times
You're right, the Official unemployment numbers in Portland are wrong. They're undercounting by anywhere from 2-8% depending on who you talk to and which segment of the population you're looking at. They also do not count those who's unemployment benefits have expired, but are still unemployed. That apparently accounts for another entire 5%.

At least this is my understanding by talking with employees at WorkSource (Oregon Unemployment Office)

Old 11-13-2010, 10:04 AM

666 posts, read 1,845,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
You're right, the Official unemployment numbers in Portland are wrong. They're undercounting by anywhere from 2-8% depending on who you talk to and which segment of the population you're looking at. They also do not count those who's unemployment benefits have expired, but are still unemployed. That apparently accounts for another entire 5%.
Benefits have nothing to do with unemployment numbers. The official unemployment numbers, U-3, come from monthly household surveys. In other words, if someone's benefits ran out, they still get counted.

What the U-3 numbers do not count are those who have simply given up looking for work or those marginally or underemployed. Thats where the larger U-6 numbers come in to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland