Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

+3 for Sesame Donuts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
+3 for Sesame Donuts
Is that a store or a flavor? I love to find new donuts.

Whoops, sorry I didn't see the previous page with the info. I am sooooo there!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
One thing I love about Portland right now is the many and varied food places around town. It was just the opposite when I first came here and for a long time after. It's not quite like anywhere else I have been and it's got a good variety of choices.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:17 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
The third photo down is a chocolate cream stick. I've heard them called long john's (what they're called here) and even bismarks, but I'm pretty sure that latter one is a boston cream donut.

The Persnickety Palate » Time to Make the Long Johns

Old 06-18-2011, 12:42 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
The third photo down is a chocolate cream stick. I've heard them called long john's (what they're called here) and even bismarks, but I'm pretty sure that latter one is a boston cream donut.

The Persnickety Palate » Time to Make the Long Johns
I've never heard of a long john or a Boston cream donut, nor have I ever seen the 3rd one down. It just looks like a larger and more doughnut-y eclair.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 AM

50 posts, read 102,713 times
Two men/women holding hands and nobody seems to notice. Almost everyone wears a back pack. When we left Ohio yesterday and changed planes in Denver to PDX most looked more casual as if they were ready to go hiking. Staying at a b&b in the N.W, loving the vibe and wishing it was in our price range.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I've never heard of a long john or a Boston cream donut, nor have I ever seen the 3rd one down. It just looks like a larger and more doughnut-y eclair.
I've had Boston Creme donuts here in Portland. Love 'em.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:09 AM

Well, I found my donuts this morning - eating two of them now! Roth's in Mac has chocolate bars, which they are willing to split open & add butter cream frosting to. Never really crossed my mind, after all these yeras, that the cream was just ordinary butter cream frosting. Silly me.

Mmmmmmm. Little messy, though, cause they're sliced, instead of injected, to add the cream.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 AM

Here is another thing I've found different - fluctuations in the price of gas.

In Ohio, it was a standard for the price to fluctuate wildly. It would be $3.61 one day, then $3.87 the next day, then two days later, down to $3.74. I've yet to see that here - so far, the price has fluctuated no more than 4 cents in 8 days at a single station, although it can vary more than that from town to town.

Definitely makes it easier to determine gas consumption in your household budget.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:25 AM

892 posts, read 2,392,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
One thing I love about Portland right now is the many and varied food places around town. It was just the opposite when I first came here and for a long time after. It's not quite like anywhere else I have been and it's got a good variety of choices.
Oh man, speaking of varied food places, how can this thread not have some mention of food carts? I know some other cities have a celebrated food cart "culture" beyond the basic dogs and pretzels but dude...Portland really takes it to the extreme.

For the unfamiliar, check out this WONDERFUL video series by Michael Cogliantry, but be warned watching more than two or three in a row will make you absolutely starving (and possibly incurably drawn to moving to Portland).

PM Food Cart Favorites on Vimeo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland