Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 09:20 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,447,772 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Portland for a week this June. This will be my 3rd time in the city. I will be staying in Beaverton and Downtown. Can anyone recommend...

1. Some tourist things to do that aren't so common (I've been to most of the big name places like Washington Park, Japanese Garden, Powell's, Shanghai Tunnels, Saturday Market, been to the Chinese Garden, not terribly interested in the art museums). I really like exploring new things and learning about urban history.

2. Any good restaurants to eat at in Beaverton or is it all the standard chain fare out there? Due to dietary restrictions of my traveling companion, I'm wondering if there are any restaurants in Beaverton with very fresh and light food. (Eating at a chain restaurant can sometimes result in an upset stomach for her).

3. Any good restaurants in the downtown area? Not looking to break the bank but are there any good restaurants between $15-$25 per meal that serve food that isn't too heavy on the stomach?

We also plan on driving to the Pacific Coast and driving to Multnomah Falls and repeating some of the bigger things I have seen in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
1. Here is a good (but outdated ... check to make sure everything's still there!) brochure listing some of Portland's small museums.

3. Food carts. Food carts. Food carts.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
1.) Some more ideas here (http://www.hamell.net/2010/03/geeky-things-to-do-in-portland/ - broken link)

2.) Beaverton does not have the depth and variety of food as Portland does. But there are a lot of very surprising finds. Hall Street Grill, I Love Sushi, Veggie Grill (technically a chain, but a great Vegan option) Ernesto's, Nona Emilia, Decarli, Beaverton Sub Station, Gloria's Secret Cafe, Du Kuh Bee (recently voted best Asian food in the entire Portland area,) Nakwon, Kaow Thai, Thai Derm, Cafe Yumm (also a chain, but local,) Abhiruchi Indian, Pho Hung and China Bay. Most of those are in Central Beaverton. There are other place further abroad like Thirsty Lion Pub in Tigard, and Pasta Pronto Cafe or Lentil Garden in Tannasbourne.

3.) What Portland area are you going to be in? I can probably list a dozen places in each neighborhood. My favorites list includes Buster's BBQ (among the best BBQ in the US in my opinion, and I eat BBQ a lot when I travel,) Fire on the Mountain (awesome hot wings,) Oba, Andina, Urban Fondue, and Pok Pok. Except for Buster's and Fire on the Mountain, you need a reservation at all the other places since they're so popular.

Since you're also going on the North Oregon Coast, I can highly recommend Fulio's in Astoria for dinner. Their Rigatoni Mustarde Salsiccia is the best Italian meal I can imagine.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:29 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
If you like authentic Vietnamese food, do check out the Tan Tan Deli on Broadway. Wonderful!

Beaverton Library has a beautiful library, and the nice park is nice for a quick walk afterwords. There is also a small but very cool New Age store on Washington off Farmington called Crystal Heart. The Uwajimaya Store on Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy is humongous Asian grocery store that you may find interesting.

If you want to stop somewhere for a couple of beers/drinks and a bite to eat, Broadway Saloon has really GOOD food at decent prices.

Take drives along the countryside in greater Washington County to view awesome farmland.

Powell's in downtown Portland (Burnside) is a must-see.

SE Hawthorne has a delightful Ethiopian restaurant called Jarrah's. Though it definitely has vegetarian options, I don't know how "vegan" it is.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Pittock Mansion is a lovely place.

There is almost always something happening at the Waterfront Park.

Take the OHSU tram.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Pittock Mansion is a lovely place.

There is almost always something happening at the Waterfront Park.

Take the OHSU tram.
Pittock and Waterfront park are on the list, and maybe the OHSU tram too. Even though I've done all 3, they are still fun. What are people's impression of the rose festival? Is it fun or can it be overwhelming with crowds? Will the rose festival cause large public transit jams on the Max or is the ebb and flow in downtown still pretty good?

Also is there a website with a comprehensive list of events going on in the city?

Last edited by pete6032; 03-27-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 08:26 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Hm. The Rose Festival. There are all kinds of events that go on associated with it. If it's during either of the two downtown parades, MAX will be jam packed. Some of it's hokey small-town feeling, but a lot of it's fun. The parades are fun. The waterfront is pretty much just a big carnival, with rides, etc. There's usually some pretty good free music playing, though. Watching the Dragon Boat races is a kick. There are a number of races (cars, marathons, fun-runs, etc.). It's really just a matter of what interests you.

The Portland Visitor's Center has a pretty good events list (http://aall.travelportland.com/calendar - broken link). Or the Oregonian's (the local paper).

Old 03-28-2012, 08:42 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
These two blogs are great for free and low cost happenings in Portland:

Dave Knows: Portland

Around the Sun: A Blog About Saving Money in Portland, Oregon, and beyond -

Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,563,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
Pittock and Waterfront park are on the list, and maybe the OHSU tram too. Even though I've done all 3, they are still fun.
You should try the 4T trail, which will include OHSU, the south waterfront, and the tram (though if you go the right direction of the loop you will take the tram down, and it's free going down, so I would recommend this). The trails on this loop are nice, through dense Forest.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Thanks for all this advice. The 4T trail looks amazingly fun as well as some of these other suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland