Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
I didn't like my experience with the population en masse. Like I said, the young people were real cool but I felt the social norms were way too uptight for my taste. For that reason I won't support thta city again with another tourist dollar.
You may not have liked your experience with those you met. Though I do have a hard time believing that you had an unpleasant experience with each and every person you either met or passed during your time in Portland. But you did not meet the population en masse. To the best of my knowledge, the population has never gathered together anywhere, en masse, in order for you to experience them.

And you're free not to come back. No one will force you. And we'll all (you included) probably be better off for it.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,627,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Minervah does make an excellent point, but the other point I see in this thread is an assertion that Pacific Northwestern culture tends to be more reserved than cultures in the rest of the country. As someone who has lived all over the country, I would back this assertion. Of course, you are free to disagree!
I totally agree with this. Every region is different--people here seem to have less of a need to really connect with everyone they cross paths with and seem satisfied to keep their range of friends narrow. I don't think this has to do with rudeness--it's more about the cultural norm.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I totally agree with this. Every region is different--people here seem to have less of a need to really connect with everyone they cross paths with and seem satisfied to keep their range of friends narrow. I don't think this has to do with rudeness--it's more about the cultural norm.
Perhaps this came about with the early Western settlers who wanted land and space and not be near neighbors as they were forced to be more and more with the growth of the larger Eastern cities. That's why they migrated to the West in the first place and their descendants followed that line of thinking. The Wild, Wild, West was always the place for the maverick, the individualist and the no-account sidewinder.

Some folks still try to uphold that tradition.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:16 PM

182 posts, read 323,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
You were on a cell phone, in the Rose Gardens... wondering why people were giving you the stink eye about it?

Did you get the same reaction while walking down the street?
Kind of like if they were giving me the stink eye talking on the cell phone on the Golden Gate Bridge, or by the Washington Monument in DC? We're talking about an outdoor tourist attraction, right? LOL C'mon. Seriously.

I'm about out on the Portland topic LOL. Nice city but I probably won't be back. Just not into the cold fish/reserved however you want to decribe it thing.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
On the other side of it, people who act friendly with everyone will abandon their "friends" at the drop of a hat and move on. It's a symptom of urban anomie, not of friendliness. My friends are real friends, and the bonds last for decades. I can get together with people and have a good time, but I'm not going to allow them into my life just because they can tell a good joke.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:09 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,564,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
Kind of like if they were giving me the stink eye talking on the cell phone on the Golden Gate Bridge, or by the Washington Monument in DC? We're talking about an outdoor tourist attraction, right? LOL C'mon. Seriously.
No! Those are not the same. We're talking about a serene garden/nature setting that is here specifically because of flowers. You're talking about huge man-made structures of steel and concrete. All tourists attractions are not equal. By that logic you could just gab on your cell phone at the holocaust memorial or the Vietnam wall. Those are both "tourist attractions", but not all attractions are created equal.

But it doesn't sound like you're going to get it.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:58 PM

343 posts, read 693,175 times
^What he said. It's about context. Generally if it's a quiet place it's not a good idea to use your cellphone. This isn't regulated to parks and monuments, take for example libraries and movie theaters... but people still talk on their phone. The point is one person can spoil the entire experience for everyone.

My advice to NewtoSD? (or OR?): be aware of your surroundings and use common sense. Take a second to think before you talk on the phone. Is the occasion appropriate? Is it that pressing or important that you absolutely have to take the call? I doubt it... but if it is, make a beeline towards the souvenir shop or restroom and talk all you want over there.

Old 08-01-2012, 01:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Portlanders unfriendly? No way--don't see it at all.

Now please get the hell off of my lawn!!

Last edited by Deezus; 08-01-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 01:50 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,459,010 times
But,,,,,But.....I have to cross it to scavenge your recycling bins for bottles and cans!

(While yakking on my cell phone)

Old 08-01-2012, 02:06 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,544,520 times
Today some distant acquaintances of a friend of mine took it upon themselves to castigate her for not using a reusable Thermos for her daily Starbucks fix.

This is part of what I mean - some people have no problem criticizing your environmental awareness, but they don't stop to find out what your name is.

But in my opinion, just like it says at the Oregon Historical Center, Oregon is a place of contradictions. People want expensive social programs, but they don't want a sales tax. People are all "rah rah rah" about "community" but then they act like curmudgeons. This place has its own unique way of looking at things, its own modus operandi. It definitely had its charm (in spades) but certain factors can be an acquired taste, especially if you're an "outsider."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland