Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 01:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
You have a point when it comes to the manner in which you are addressed for sure. I unfortunately can't relate to being accosted due to my response to innappropriate behavior, "Yo buddy, I suggest you back off and take it somewhere else", is wildly effective. I do understand that aggressiveness isn't an option for everyone..point ceded.

You and I both agree that the OP is attempting to game the system and needs to rejoin the real world. Earlier in the thread when told that the Park Rangers use thermal cameras he said something about having special camping equipment that can beat them. Now I've never shopped these items myself but I can't imagine they're cheap.

All I'm saying is that my life has been enriched by the people I've met and the experiences I've shared with those I serve on Fridays. Sometimes all that separates us and them is one bad break. It takes a village y'know?
Sure, I get it about what separates us from them I practically lived it. People here who know me know about my bad break; 401k of 12 years stolen by my union's investment company, job layoffs some bad health issues, unemployed off and on mostly off for the better part of three to four years one step away from being on the streets to make a very long story short.

Lots of bad breaks here. But I didn't blame Society or Gaia or the Universe. Stuff happens. And the village alone didn't save me. Very hard work and the fact that I didn't **** people off by moaning about my fate rather than trying to fix it encouraged those who were willing to give me a helping hand from time to time. No one wants to help someone who is not willing to make the effort to help themselves.

You give a bad attitude you get a bad attitude. Y'know.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Some people have mental and/or emotional issues that make it difficult and maybe even impossible for them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. That's a big part of why there are so many homeless people. I'm sure that many of us have dodged a bullet or two in our time.

To the OP: I wouldn't camp out in Forest Park. But you know, there are jobs on remote properties where you could live the way that you want to while earning a wage; caretaking and light maintenance type jobs. There are all sorts of possibilities through the Oregon State Parks and Rec program to stay at out-of-the way places. These are temporary things; a few months at a time, but it might be possible for you to move around to different locations.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Some people have mental and/or emotional issues that make it difficult and maybe even impossible for them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. That's a big part of why there are so many homeless people. I'm sure that many of us have dodged a bullet or two in our time.

To the OP: I wouldn't camp out in Forest Park. But you know, there are jobs on remote properties where you could live the way that you want to while earning a wage; caretaking and light maintenance type jobs. There are all sorts of possibilities through the Oregon State Parks and Rec program to stay at out-of-the way places. These are temporary things; a few months at a time, but it might be possible for you to move around to different locations.
This advice and other helpful suggestions similar to it were first given when people tried to help. They were rejected. Instead responders were met with insults, tirades and false assumptions about their motives in posting when the OP was told it was a bad idea to camp out in Forest Park but gave these alternative suggestions instead.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 PM

135 posts, read 222,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This advice and other helpful suggestions similar to it were first given when people tried to help. They were rejected. Instead responders were met with insults, tirades and false assumptions about their motives in posting when the OP was told it was a bad idea to camp out in Forest Park but gave these alternative suggestions instead.
I insulted NO ONE.. I just come from a different perspective then most if not all the individuals on this site.. Yes, I have a tiny netbook, but it is NECESSARY for anyone living on the streets to find resources, gigs, etc.. I would recommend ANY homeless individual who is familiar with the internet to get one as soon as possible! I have been homeless off and on since I was 15(first trip to downtown LA back in the 80's) where I learned some harsh lessons, but I learned them well.. I've been to MOST every major city in the usa by the time I was in my late 20's,hitchiking, biking, walking, bussing, etc, many times homeless.. The "best" job I was ever able to get in NY was blockbuster video for minimum wage.. I haven't worked for more then 6 years now, been surviving and making survival money by "unconventional" means, but effective.. Your "suggestions" may work for certain people who've ended up homeless, people who had past careers, professional skillsets, etc, but they don't apply to someone as unique as myself.. I've never had a job making more then minimum, never used banks for anything, never rented from companies or agencies, never driven, and stay away from any and all records and "red tape"(I don't even KNOW WHAT a 401k is, although I've seen it mentioned often on these boards).. So tell me, how do any of these suggestions help someone like myself?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
So tell me, how do any of these suggestions help someone like myself?
I think, quite simply, you've come to the wrong place for help.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:45 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
Understandable, but unfair. Like all demographics you cannot paint a population via the actions/behaviors of one. My family and I have volunteered at a homeless shelter every Friday night for the past few years and the one thing I've learned is that every person in that room has a story, we may not be able to relate to their point of view but that doesn't invalidate it.
You don't seem to be understanding me, but having a knee-jerk reaction.

First off, if it's me (or anyone else) giving charity ... who gives a whit whether we do it "fairly" or not? I mean, seriously. It's not fair? What ... if I give one person a handout, do I have to give everyone one, or else, I'm not being faaaaaiiiiir.

All I'm saying, and I would think that you people who seem to be so passionate about the homeless would agree, is that the snotty, ungrateful attitudes of some panhandlers run the risk of ruining things for the homeless who truly need assistance.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
I think, quite simply, you've come to the wrong place for help.

Best of luck to you.
I agree. Anything more said is pointless. At this point, we are just going around in circles.

Also best of luck.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:52 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times
Agree.
Circles.
Help yourself and quit making excuses for yourself.
"The Man" isn't keeping you down.
You are.
If you were my son and whined to me like you are whining here, I would slap you silly and tell you to man up.

If you are for real, wake up dude.
You got it all wrong.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homelessadvocate View Post
I insulted NO ONE.. I just come from a different perspective then most if not all the individuals on this site.. Yes, I have a tiny netbook, but it is NECESSARY for anyone living on the streets to find resources, gigs, etc.. I would recommend ANY homeless individual who is familiar with the internet to get one as soon as possible! I have been homeless off and on since I was 15(first trip to downtown LA back in the 80's) where I learned some harsh lessons, but I learned them well.. I've been to MOST every major city in the usa by the time I was in my late 20's,hitchiking, biking, walking, bussing, etc, many times homeless.. The "best" job I was ever able to get in NY was blockbuster video for minimum wage.. I haven't worked for more then 6 years now, been surviving and making survival money by "unconventional" means, but effective.. Your "suggestions" may work for certain people who've ended up homeless, people who had past careers, professional skillsets, etc, but they don't apply to someone as unique as myself.. I've never had a job making more then minimum, never used banks for anything, never rented from companies or agencies, never driven, and stay away from any and all records and "red tape"(I don't even KNOW WHAT a 401k is, although I've seen it mentioned often on these boards).. So tell me, how do any of these suggestions help someone like myself?
I find it kind of offensive that you casually suggest a homeless person get a laptop

Old 06-07-2013, 10:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I think that if I had to choose one item to take with me if I suddenly had to go live on streets, it would be a mini laptop. They're easy to carry and to hide, and they can keep people connected with jobs opportunities as well as with family and friends. I realize that a lot of people think that the homeless *should* give up every last possession, but the problem is is that the more people give up, the harder it will ever be for them to find their way back.

Oh well, snarl on.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-07-2013 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland