Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 AM

461 posts, read 861,429 times

Advertisements

Housing and Relocation | General Information | OHSU

Helpful page!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 09:03 AM

Super tough finding a good spot downtown/Pearl/Goose Hollow that is reasonably priced and with parking! Frustrated!

Do you guys think the market will be a bit better closer to the end of next semester when I am moving? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:10 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
In a word, "no".

Goose Hollow has a resident street parking permit (Zone A) which you buy from the city. The best time to find a spot on the street is 3-5 pm or 8-9 am. With the advent of paid parking in Washington Park early next year I expect it will be even tougher.

Your problem is that you are looking for housing in the 'in' neighborhoods.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:59 AM

1,082 posts, read 1,912,413 times
You'd be able to find cheaper rent and parking if you go west (beaverton, etc). Not as hip as portland, but you're going to be working all the time anyway. You can drive your car in to portland when you have time off. If you wait til the end of the semester to look, I would think things will be moving super fast. That is a big time for people to move, so there may be more choices but they aren't going to be any cheaper. Lots of really good rentals aren't advertised, the ones that are don't last long (hours, not days).

Old 12-19-2013, 11:35 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I think the OP should look around John's Landing, there are apartments north of Wilson High School that would work well (easy access to Terwilliger Blvd.).

There will be a lot of turnover at the end of the school term. See if someone in your department will be leaving as you arrive, perhaps their apartment would meet your needs.

Funky as it may seem, put a housing wanted ad on Craig's list featuring the fact that you are a physician who has a Fellowship at OHSU. We can help you screen the replies.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:49 AM

Rent is crazy in your city!! Ha! CL has about a range of $1000-$1400 for a decent place in the areas I am considering...

Should I just buy? I was looking at some properties even in the Pearl and it comes out to be around the same price for a long term mortgage payment...

Is this why rent is so damn high? LOL
Oregon is No. 1 for attracting new residents, study finds | OregonLive.com

Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
Quote:
Rent is crazy in your city!! Ha! CL has about a range of $1000-$1400 for a decent place in the areas I am considering...
You consider 1 to 1.4K expensive? Really? OK, I see you are in Cleveland now, that explains it.
Take a look at San Francisco, or even Seattle, and rents in Portland will look cheap in comparison.
You are in a bit of a bind though - the areas where you looked are the most expensive in Portland. If, as christiner81 says, you look further away from downtown, prices are substantially less. However, due to the nature of your work, that may not be an option.

Quote:
Should I just buy? I was looking at some properties even in the Pearl and it comes out to be around the same price for a long term mortgage payment...
There are several online calculators that answer that question, here is one of them:
Trulia: Rent vs Buy - Is it cheaper to buy or rent a home

However, buying a house is A LOT of work.. Just looking may, and should, take several months, unless you buy the first one that strikes your fancy (a bad decision). Then there is the closing process - a month+ of hassle.
Finally, housing in Portland is tight right now, both when it comes to renting and buying. The supply of houses for sale is low, and choice limited.

Quote:
Is this why rent is so damn high? LOL
Oregon is No. 1 for attracting new residents, study finds | OregonLive.com
Most like, yes. Supply vs. demand

Last edited by skiffrace; 12-27-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
You consider 1 to 1.4K expensive? Really? OK, I see you are in Cleveland now, that explains it.
Take a look at San Francisco, or even Seattle, and rents in Portland will look cheap in comparison.
You are in a bit of a bind though - the areas where you looked are the most expensive in Portland. If, as christiner81 says, you look further away from downtown, prices are substantially less. However, due to the nature of your work, that may not be an option

There are several online calculators that answer that question, hereis one of them:
Trulia: Rent vs Buy - Is it cheaper to buy or rent a home

However, buying a house is A LOT of work.. Just looking may, and should, take several months, unless you buy the first one that strikes your fancy (a bad decision). Then there is the closing process - a month+ of hassle.
Finally, housing in Portland is tight right now, both when it comes to renting and buying. The supply of houses for sale is low, and choice limited.

Most like, yes. Supply vs. demand
Exactly...would be tough to live in Beaverton and drive every day and also miss out on the amenities/culture/fun downtown and in the Pearl.

I am really thinking about buying and have started calling some realtors and started doing some market research....

Anything else I should know?

This was a great read for others in a similar thought process:
Portland's Hottest Microhoods | Portland Monthly

Old 12-29-2013, 08:51 AM

These places were also attractive to me...

Can anyone comment on the location? Right between my work and downtown seems like:

for rent near downtown

CONDO FOR RENT IN POPULAR CIVIC LUXURY CONDOS goose hollow 23rd pearl (right by the soccer field!!)

Old 12-29-2013, 12:07 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
The first one is great as for its location to OHSU, but it's going to be a lot quieter neighborhood. Up in the hills, and treed. But, you're up in the hills. And you're not going to be close to a grocery store, to bars, restaurants. And as you can see, you get more for your money further from downtown.

As for the Goose Hollow one, I can't speak to the building itself, but I think (personally) it's a great location. Burnside can be a PIA, it's a busy street. But, you're very near to everything. MAX stops within a block. There's a Fred Meyer (department/grocery store) a block away. Lots of bars, restaurants. And, as you say, Jeld-Wen field. One thing I noticed about the CraigsList listing ... the photos in the condo make it look like it's near the ground. You might be more susceptible to street noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland