Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times

Advertisements

I live in the neighborhood that many call the Goose Hollow, near Washington Park. Basically the issue in both Goose Hollow and the Pearl is parking. BE SURE TO INCLUDE THE PRICE OF PARKING in any rental quote. Just taking a guess here but odds are the parking in the Pearl is much more expensive than that in Goose Hollow.

From Goose Hollow there is a 'back door' route to OHSU. Go south on Vista, at the stop sign where it intersects Broadway drive bear to the right, then immediate left to Greenway Ave (if you end up on Talbot you are OK because they meet further south - it's just more curves), at the first intersection bear left onto Talbot. Talbot Road becomes Fairmount Blvd. which will intersect with Marquam Hill Road.. Follow your nose down hill and you are at OHSU. This route is not suitable in the winter because you will be going up and over the hill on local streets but it can be quicker during commute hours. The first few times you try this you may feel like you need to leave a trail of breadcrumbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
Quote:
Since much of your life is also spent not working....
Hmm, read on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
..enjoy the finer things - food, concerts, etc...
...I want to live beside a nice gym also!...
Are you sure you are coming for the medical residency?
If so, then you must know the following:
Medical resident work hours

Unless residency at OHSU is completely different from all other hospitals, you will be working 80 hours per week.
That means six 13 to 14 hour days, plus the occasional off-hours call.
On the work days you will have just enough time to eat and sleep. On your day off you will try to catch up with the rest of your life.

Get a quiet apartment as close to the campus as possible, the one you've shown is just above Barbur Blvd and I-5 , and most likely quite noisy.

Last edited by skiffrace; 12-11-2013 at 05:47 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM

461 posts, read 861,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Hmm, read on...

Are you sure you are coming for the medical residency?
If so, then you must know the following:
Medical resident work hours

Unless residency at OHSU is completely different from all other hospitals, you will be working 80 hours per week.
That means six 13 to 14 hour days, plus the occasional off-hours call.
On the work days you will have just enough time to eat and sleep. On your day off you will try to catch up with the rest of your life.

Get a quiet apartment as close to the campus as possible, the one you've shown is just above Barbur Blvd and I-5 , and most likely quite noisy.
I will be here for a subspecialty fellowship - it will be busy for sure - but not as busy as residency I would imagine.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 PM

Found this thread from earlier this year helpful. I am in a bit of a tricky spot...
http://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...ar-rental.html

Old 12-11-2013, 06:58 PM

I take it the following google maps from the North End of the Pearl to OHSU is NOT accurate? Not 3.1 miles and an 8 minute drive? It would be nice to be at work at 5/530 am every morning....

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...13m1!1e1&fid=0

Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Driving from anywhere at 5 am is going to be a very quick commute. It's probably going to take you longer to get from your home to your car and from your car to the hospital, than it will to drive between the two. There will be next to no one on the street at that hour. Public transport takes longer, just because of the stops.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Driving from anywhere at 5 am is going to be a very quick commute. It's probably going to take you longer to get from your home to your car and from your car to the hospital, than it will to drive between the two. There will be next to no one on the street at that hour. Public transport takes longer, just because of the stops.
EnricoV you are a wealth of advice! Thank you so much!

I know I am nit picking, but what if I left around 530 am/6 am? I should be able to get from say my downtown/Pearl apartment to the OHSU parking lot in 10-15 minutes?

I will be working at the VA also (which I know is connected to OHSU with a skybridge?)

It is too bad that the street car doesn't run all the way up the hill to serve OHSU and the VA

Old 12-12-2013, 12:09 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,629,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
You got excellent advice so far: live nearby, use public transit instead of the car etc.
This however, is incorrect:

You have to get to work 5 (6....?) days a week.
Anything else will be an occasional treat, so being in immediate proximity does not matter. Portland is a very compact city, and any of the residential areas mentioned so far are very close to downtown and all the attractions anyway, though not necessarily within walking distance.
So again, choose a nice place with the quickest, most convenient work commute you can find - that's where the big time savings are.
Goose Hollow is downtown. It's pretty close to just about everything.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:15 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Goose Hollow is downtown. It's pretty close to just about everything.
Yes it is.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Goose...y,+Oregon&z=14

Old 12-12-2013, 12:22 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,629,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
I take it the following google maps from the North End of the Pearl to OHSU is NOT accurate? Not 3.1 miles and an 8 minute drive? It would be nice to be at work at 5/530 am every morning....
The URL didn't work for me. Anyway, I live in the North Pearl and if you hop on 405 and get off by PSU you shoot straight up the hill. I think I could probably get to OHSU in about 15 min at 5AM. During heavy commute times it would take much longer. The thing about Goose Hollow is you have a few more public transport options to get to OHSU. If you're in the Pearl you're stuck with the streetcar unless you walk to the bus mall on NW 5th where a lot of buses and MAX stop before hitting downtown.

I've lived in both Goose Hollow and if I were going to be busy with work a lot and commuting via public transport I'd pick Goose Hollow. If I was going to be focusing more on my social life I'd choose the Pearl. Both are workable but the streetcar/tram route will be more time consuming.

I just did the two options on trimet and Goose Hollow gives you a 20 min commute. Pearl gives you a 40/50 min commute via public transport. Both are pretty quick by car, though goose hollow shaves off 5-15 min by car as well depending on the time of day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland