Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,631,183 times

Advertisements

The Civic is kind of weird. It's right across from Jen-Weld but it's also on the edge of an area that's kind of seedy. It depends how comfortable you are with a lot of transient traffic, etc. It's not unsafe, just a hassle. It's not quite the Pearl, not quite Goose Hollow, not quite Kings Hill, not quite Nob Hill....it's kind of a triangular in the middle of all the neighborhoods spot. It's great for transport but not as pleasant of a walking/strolling neighborhood. Hard to explain. The building itself is very nice. Burnside is very busy with lots of traffic on it. I hate walking on that stretch of Burnside. However, you could get to OHSU pretty easily from there.

And the first one is up away from everything in terms of restaurants, stores, etc. It's in a more secluded location. Probably a nice area though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
I used to work there decades ago, I will tell you that the $95. parking fee will be worth it if you are working early or late. Remember Ptown has a loooong rainy season.

I used to live up on "pill hill" in an apt complex and rarely did I walk because of rainy weather, coming to work already soaked through is not a great way to start the day.

You might contact your employer about housing suggestions, also you might consider sharing housing with another employee.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:23 PM

73 posts, read 183,534 times
The first link to the condo on Broadway looks like the same building complex in which my brother owns a unit. I lived there briefly when I first moved to Portland. I don't think any buses go up that section of Broadway, and it's a narrow, steep, windy hill. I walked up and down the hill to get to the bus everyday, and while it was doable for me then, it wouldn't be ideal for someone who would like to rely on public transportation to get to a professional job.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:15 PM

461 posts, read 861,715 times
Can anyone comment on the Indigo downtown/Pearl?

Indigo - Downtown - Portland, OR

Old 01-05-2014, 04:38 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
You need to nail down parking. Make sure you have 24 hour in & out because of emergency calls.

You are just a couple blocks from the NS streetcar but keep in mind it is a streetcar and can be pokey given the number of stops to either the Tram or OHSU meet-up places.

My concern is that you are increasing the time of your commute un-necessarily when compared to housing further SW. There are plenty of places to socialize around River Place, for example.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
You need to nail down parking. Make sure you have 24 hour in & out because of emergency calls.

You are just a couple blocks from the NS streetcar but keep in mind it is a streetcar and can be pokey given the number of stops to either the Tram or OHSU meet-up places.

My concern is that you are increasing the time of your commute un-necessarily when compared to housing further SW. There are plenty of places to socialize around River Place, for example.
Hmmm...thanks for the thoughts.

What do you mean increase my commute time? When I google map "pearl district" to "ohsu" - it says 3.4 miles/8 minutes on I-405 and the other route down Broadway is 3 miles/10 minutes. Is that not accurate? Even with traffic, extreme traffic, wouldn't the 3 mile commute only be about 25 minutes max?

Many on this site and other things I have seen show that around the SW River front, it is kind of the "dead part of town" - not much to do...and even if I do live on the SW river front, i will only be able to take the tram when it is running...if not, I will have to drive around on Terwilliger. Am I way off?

Thanks again!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
This is a recent article in the Oregonian, about the first apartment in a new development area in the South Waterfront. Thought it might give you an idea of what the area's like, and what plans are for its future.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 AM

The South Waterfront and River Place are different but adjacent neighborhoods:
Portland Neighborhoods: South Waterfront

Portland Neighborhoods: Riverplace

(restaurant options have increased greatly in the last couple years)

Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM

What do you mean increase my commute time? When I google map "pearl district" to "ohsu" - it says 3.4 miles/8 minutes on I-405 and the other route down Broadway is 3 miles/10 minutes. Is that not accurate? Even with traffic, extreme traffic, wouldn't the 3 mile commute only be about 25 minutes max?

Can anyone comment on this? I ask because I would really like to live in the Pearl or downtown!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 PM

This assumes that you will be commuting by car. : I-405 is great when there is no traffic but the intersection you use to go to OHSU comes right after the intersection of I-405 and Highway 26, the primary road to the west (Intel, NIKE etc). It can back up at inconvenient times (a nice way of saying it can be a nightmare). The best I-405 ramp to OHSU from the area you are considering is at SW 13th & Taylor, it avoids the Hgy 26 intersection but your exit is still goes onto city streets with lots of stop lights. I have used that route as a patient.

Here is my favorite live traffic website: KATU Portland Area Traffic | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

Honest, River Place jumps - particularly on summer weekends but you are a smart guy and if the Pearl or the Indigo is where you want to be then give it a try. I just think you should look before you leap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland