Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:29 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Can anyone comment on this? I ask because I would really like to live in the Pearl or downtown!
If you really like living in Pearl, do it. It's still much better for your situation than, say, living in Lake Oswego.
Several people steer you in direction of South Waterfront\Johns Landing (and I agree with them). However, at the end of the day, it's your money and your decision. Also, don't over-analyse your decision. The good places, in Pearl or elsewhere, are almost always expensive - "you get what you pay for".
Make sure you have good parking, and are prepared for jammed traffic, just as Nell Plotts explained above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:21 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
This assumes that you will be commuting by car. : I-405 is great when there is no traffic but the intersection you use to go to OHSU comes right after the intersection of I-405 and Highway 26, the primary road to the west (Intel, NIKE etc). It can back up at inconvenient times (a nice way of saying it can be a nightmare). The best I-405 ramp to OHSU from the area you are considering is at SW 13th & Taylor, it avoids the Hgy 26 intersection but your exit is still goes onto city streets with lots of stop lights. I have used that route as a patient.

Here is my favorite live traffic website: KATU Portland Area Traffic | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

Honest, River Place jumps - particularly on summer weekends but you are a smart guy and if the Pearl or the Indigo is where you want to be then give it a try. I just think you should look before you leap.
That's only applicable if you take I-405 to get there. It's easy enough to avoid.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 AM

461 posts, read 861,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
This assumes that you will be commuting by car. : I-405 is great when there is no traffic but the intersection you use to go to OHSU comes right after the intersection of I-405 and Highway 26, the primary road to the west (Intel, NIKE etc). It can back up at inconvenient times (a nice way of saying it can be a nightmare). The best I-405 ramp to OHSU from the area you are considering is at SW 13th & Taylor, it avoids the Hgy 26 intersection but your exit is still goes onto city streets with lots of stop lights. I have used that route as a patient.

Here is my favorite live traffic website: KATU Portland Area Traffic | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

Honest, River Place jumps - particularly on summer weekends but you are a smart guy and if the Pearl or the Indigo is where you want to be then give it a try. I just think you should look before you leap.
Nell Plotts and others!! Thank you all for all the information! I really appreciate you guys and this forum!

I think I understand the I-405 issues. The thing is, I will probably head to the hospital around 530/6 am. Will the traffic be bad at this time of the morning?
Also, on the days that I don't have to go in so early...perhaps around 8 am, I could take the street car to the tram and get up to OHSU.

But I am coming to understand that living by the SW riverfront or River Place would be super convenient to get to the OHSU tram!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:21 AM

Sounds like you've got a good handle on the situation. You will have no problems with whatever route you take that early in the morning, driving. Once the tram/streetcar start running, that's an even better option.

If you're potentially a biker, I just saw this little [vimeo]78005998[/vimeo]
video about the free "bike corral" at the bottom of the tram that I thought was a great service.

And sure, living right by the tram is the most convenient. Doesn't mean it's the only option. And actually, isn't all that great for having to get up the hill before the tram starts running.

Live where it feels right for you, as long as you know the potential challenges and are willing to deal with them. Sounds like you do.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCB View Post
Nell Plotts and others!! Thank you all for all the information! I really appreciate you guys and this forum!

I think I understand the I-405 issues. The thing is, I will probably head to the hospital around 530/6 am. Will the traffic be bad at this time of the morning?
Also, on the days that I don't have to go in so early...perhaps around 8 am, I could take the street car to the tram and get up to OHSU.

But I am coming to understand that living by the SW riverfront or River Place would be super convenient to get to the OHSU tram!
I have occasionally driven to PSU from the Pearl on 405 at about 8AM and generally the traffic is decent on that particular stretch. You'd get off at the same exit to go to OHSU that I use to go to PSU.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:29 PM

543 posts, read 1,146,897 times
EnricoV, thanks for sharing that bike valet video. That's such a brilliant idea. I would imagine that people who use that service have lower stress levels just knowing they don't have to hassle with wondering if their bike is safe.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydoc View Post
EnricoV, thanks for sharing that bike valet video. That's such a brilliant idea. I would imagine that people who use that service have lower stress levels just knowing they don't have to hassle with wondering if their bike is safe.
Yeah, it does seem pretty genius, doesn't it? I don't know if there are any more around town ... but there ought to be.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,837 times
I could be wrong but I think there is supposed to be pretty nice bike facilities (showers, lockers, etc) at the new CLSB building that should be opening shortly at the waterfront. It is a bit north of the tram. The original plans had the facilities, but I'm not sure if they are still there and the building is not quite open yet.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:03 PM

461 posts, read 861,994 times
Default Just visited!

I just visited Portland and really enjoyed my visit! I am looking forward to moving up there!! I got a much better idea of the "lay of the land" but was there on business and couldn't see all the areas of town that I really wanted to see. You have all helped me immensely on this board! I would love a last few bits of tidbits and ideas!
Please correct me if I have anything wrong!! Only spent about 3 days there!

I made a map and had some questions about the areas. I have circled the Aerial Tram - Which I am convinced will be the best way to get to work! If I can bike to or walk to the tram, it will be very convenient! On days that I am on call, I will take my car up Terwilliger Blvd!
I want to live close to a good grocery store also! Which seems to be the Whole Foods - 12th and Couch - any other grocery stores to frequent? Safeway near PSU perhaps?

So in summary, two big needs/wants: 1) Access to Aerial Tram

2) Access to Whole Foods/Good Grocery

Blue Circle/South Waterfront: Did not get to see up close and personal, but I get the vibe I think. Not much on the way of grocery store. I think it would be incredibly convenient to live in those big condos and just get on the aerial tram every morning - solves a lot of the commute problem. But the cons is the lack of grocery store!

Green Circle/River Front/East of PSU: Did not get down there. Could bike to the Tram. Bike/public transport to the Safeway.

Red Circle/Downtown: Stayed here. I like downtown and all the amenities. I think I could drive to work or bike to the aerial tram very easily I feel like. It does have a "downtowny" vibe if that makes sense and not as "residential" as the Pearl or other neighborhoods. But I really liked the food and just the general vibe. The South Park Blocks were really nice I felt.

Purple Circle/Pearl: I did not check out as much of the Pearl as I would I have liked to have. I did drive through the Pearl and really liked it. I was not able to check out any of the apartments there. I also did drive from the Pearl to OHSU and it took 12 minutes! But this was in NO TRAFFIC at all! So not a terrible commute!

Yellow Circle/SE Portland: Did not really get to visit except check out some breweries...was a fine park of town. But I think it would be harder to get to OHSU, though the pro will be the cheaper rent.

Grey Circle/Jen Weld Field: I see what one of the posters were saying about being a little shady. Didn't really dig it all that much. But very doable.

From the visit analysis, I think it would be practical to live in the Downtown/Pearl/River Front (Purple/Red/Green) area would be the best compromise between a grocery and access to the Aerial Tram.

What do you all think? Any recommendations? Critiques? Thank you! Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to PDX! Working @ OHSU! Help!! Where to live?-screen-shot-2014-01-31-5.28.18  

Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,632,925 times
The waterfront area will be getting a small Fred Meyer but not sure what the time frame is. Most people who live there take the streetcar to the downtown Safeway and Whole Foods, or drive to the Fred Meyer on Barber Blvd.

We just took streetcar/tram to OHSU the other day for an appt. It's pretty easy, though it depends on your hours.

I'm the one who told you the Jenweld area was kind of shady Glad you agreed.

I think your assessments were good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland