Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 02:05 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,455,954 times

Advertisements

Chill out a little, Bro!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 12:43 PM

333 posts, read 329,203 times
I gotta say, Portland's snow removal capability is pretty bad, almost pathetic. Most of the major routes are still covered with snow and ice three days after the storm. All sidestreets are totally untouched. Crossing from Portland to Clackamas County, there is a noticeable difference in the amount of snow on secondary arterial routes. It's bare pavement for the most part. at least in my area.

In other news, those Seattle trucks that came down to Portland to lend a hand came with a full load of salt and they've been out salting. Works better when it's spread before the snow falls, but better late than never.

Portland tries road salt, courtesy of Seattle | OregonLive.com

Old 01-13-2017, 02:10 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
I gotta say, Portland's snow removal capability is pretty bad, almost pathetic. Most of the major routes are still covered with snow and ice three days after the storm. All sidestreets are totally untouched. Crossing from Portland to Clackamas County, there is a noticeable difference in the amount of snow on secondary arterial routes. It's bare pavement for the most part. at least in my area.

In other news, those Seattle trucks that came down to Portland to lend a hand came with a full load of salt and they've been out salting. Works better when it's spread before the snow falls, but better late than never.

Portland tries road salt, courtesy of Seattle | OregonLive.com
Do you have any idea how much equipment and manpower that would take to clear every single side-street in Portland? I can guarantee that those 11 trucks and 15 crew members from Seattle along with the normal crews from Portland will not be enough to do it. The major routes will be plowed, but snow will melt before they can possibly get to the majority of side streets.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:56 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
Those trucks and Seattle salt provided the opportunity to compare both types of road treatments.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:36 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Those trucks and Seattle salt provided the opportunity to compare both types of road treatments.
And the results are in. Bad news for salt fans. Now enjoy your rust, if you were one of the unlucky ones who drove on the stuff.

Portland test finds road salt no better than de-icer

Old 01-14-2017, 04:10 PM

Jeez. Exaggerate much?

You make it sound like the end of the world.

It's just a little salt.

Funny how the people that are complaining the most are the ones that don't live in the Portland area, where some judicious use of salt would really make a huge difference.

This thread should be moved to the Oregon forum.

It doesn't belong in the Portland forum.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:34 PM

65 posts, read 68,871 times
Coming from someone who's experienced driving conditions year-round in several states: you guys need to learn to drive before you can argue about all this crap

Seriously, I've never felt more in danger on roads than I do here. Whether it's a sunny, clear day, or pouring rain, or the roads have glare ice. It's not the road's fault, it's the drivers.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:51 PM

516 posts, read 429,632 times
Dang I'm glad I don't live in Portland. I live in a very Rural area now (grew up in western WA). The day after X-mas I woke up to 8" of fresh snow in my yard ontop of the 15" already there. Took a drive to the main highway maintained by the state. Was already plowed. This was at 6am. Talk about being ontop of things. Eastern WA btw. .

Old 01-14-2017, 09:00 PM

Where they probably smartly used salt for safety.

Now you are all going to die, your land will become sterile, every single one of your cars will all rust to pieces, your kids will have all kinds of genetic problems and life will cease to exist as you know it.

But seriously, keep us updated on the myriad of problems the periodic use of road salt has caused.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 01-14-2017 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The safest way to drive on snow and ice, is to stay home. Anybody who has ever done it, knows that. This thread is not about safety. It's about the entitlement of drivers to drive, even when weather conditions don't allow for safe driving. ODOT provides a safe driving environment 363 days a year. But that is not enough for some people, who think the roads must be in perfect driving condition 365 days a year. And taxpayers and the environment should foot the bill. The fact that heated roads even came up, just shows how strong this sense of entitlement is. You guys just won't take "no" it's not safe to drive in these type of conditions for an answer. I don't know where this conversation can go from here.

"The safest way to drive on snow and ice, is to stay home" umm no, cuz that's not driving on snow and ice. The safest way to drive on snow and ice is to go slow and use tires with good traction.

You must be a stubborn old mule, because people have mentioned again and again, that when you gotta get to work YOU GOTTA GET TO WORK. Sorry we're not all retired like you are. People have jobs because bills don't pay themselves and when the boss says you gotta come in, you gotta come in. You're acting like everyone on the road is on their way to Voodoo Doughnut or something!

The only reason Oregon is so bad to drive on during snow is because of its unique wet winter climate with so much rain that eventually freezes over. Its not because Oregonians just don't know how to drive, its because the unique icy conditions that colder places don't get because their winters aren't very rainy. I see nothing wrong with putting a little bit of salt that will be washed away in the next shower anyway.

Btw I live in Texas and my job doesn't close for anything. If there's 10 inches of snow, and I gotta go in to work... I gotta go in to work. We get as much snow as y'all usually do, and Texans can't drive in it worth a damn but we still try and our roads aren't so treacherous cuz we don't have the rain, freeze, snow thing that happens in the PNW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland