Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 08:19 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,923 times

Advertisements

First off - I don't know anything about Col Springs.

We recently bought a home in the Prescott area. Many of the places we looked at were in CV, as we have horses and wanted a few acres. It is a really nice little town with many of the small town benefits and detriments.....

Pluses -
Small town feel
Plenty of local amenities, like shopping, medical etc....
Great weather
Big open spaces
Very nice people

Minuses -
A little bit of 'poor white trash' feel with the zoning apparently allowing trailers and run-down structures right next to beautiful large homes
25 minute drive into the larger town of Prescott to get to Hospital/Costco/Home Depot Etc....
Possible water issues - lots of issues, esp over by Reed Rd and west of there......

That's just my take. We settled in a bit to the north of CV. Very happy, couldn't be better.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 03:07 PM

65 posts, read 119,841 times
I am considering northern Colorado Springs, or Prescott Valley. Both seem to have pros and cons. It seems that I may have to live in each place for a year to really understand them.

Old 07-10-2020, 03:16 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
Visit both areas for a week at least and decide which ones fit your needs would be my opinion.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:53 PM

138 posts, read 230,754 times
Not just Chino Valley, but local politicians in bed with developers.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:32 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
If you want a more comparable city to Prescott Valley, visit Grand Junction.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:21 PM

354 posts, read 416,027 times
I moved to Chino Valley in 2005. All of my friends LOVE living here. I HATE living here but I can't afford to live anywhere else on limited income.

Pros: I live in a development with no HOA and most of the neighbors keep up their yards. Neighbors are friendly and mind their own business. It is quiet and peaceful where I live and I have awesome views out my front and back. I suggest if you buy a house buy into a area that the houses are kept up because there are areas that are trashy. Since I do not live in a area that is trashy it doesn't affect me. I enjoy driving down Reed Road and looking at the farm animals and I can look out my back windows and watch the cows and antelope and deer nearby. Neighbors are friendly.

Cons: A) There are a lot of them so here I go. It is constantly windy. It seems it never lets up for more than two days and weeks go by with wind, up to 40 mph.
B) Limited shopping so you will find you are driving into Prescott for decent shopping and restaurants. Prescott is becoming more crowded so thus more traffic.
C) You will be charged more if some one comes to your house for service call.
D) People here are rather strange in general. Education is not one of the town's priorities. With that said, there are quite a few wonderful people. Many of the new transplants are coming from California.

You said you are Christian and Conservative you will fit right into the mix of Chino Valley. If you have any major health issues I urge you not to move here, medical is a C-.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:01 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,801,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite60 View Post
I moved to Chino Valley in 2005. All of my friends LOVE living here. I HATE living here but I can't afford to live anywhere else on limited income.
Surely there is somewhere in the US that is livable and even cheaper than AZ? Maybe Texas?

Quote:
Cons: A) There are a lot of them so here I go. It is constantly windy. It seems it never lets up for more than two days and weeks go by with wind, up to 40 mph.
I haven't noticed that much wind, but it can sure howl here, that's for sure! I knew that coming in though, so not a surprise....

Quote:
B) Limited shopping so you will find you are driving into Prescott for decent shopping and restaurants. Prescott is becoming more crowded so thus more traffic.
C'mon, it's only 20 minutes from CV to Prescott.....not a big deal....I mean if you want to live in the city, you have to deal with all of the city issues. You can't live in the country to reap those benefits and be in the city.....

Quote:
C) You will be charged more if some one comes to your house for service call.
I am remodeling my house right now and I definitely have not noticed that at all. And I am 10 miles north of you......

Quote:
D) People here are rather strange in general. Education is not one of the town's priorities. With that said, there are quite a few wonderful people. Many of the new transplants are coming from California.
Define 'rather strange'.......and you think people here are dumb....?

Old 07-14-2020, 10:23 AM

306 posts, read 336,474 times
Hey! Yuma wasn't hurtin' nobody. I'm a Yuman, but if I didn't have a great job here, I'd be somewhere else. That said, Yuma has some positives. Primarily the Colorado River. It's beautiful, refreshing, sandy and fun. San Diego is less than 3 hours away. Coastal Mexico is nearby as well. No traffic. Yeah, it's hot, but not appreciably different than alot of AZ in that regard.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:43 AM

404 posts, read 766,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint8ball View Post
Hey! Yuma wasn't hurtin' nobody. I'm a Yuman, but if I didn't have a great job here, I'd be somewhere else. That said, Yuma has some positives. Primarily the Colorado River. It's beautiful, refreshing, sandy and fun. San Diego is less than 3 hours away. Coastal Mexico is nearby as well. No traffic. Yeah, it's hot, but not appreciably different than alot of AZ in that regard.
Haha, sorry. No offense intended.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:48 AM

440 posts, read 240,571 times
CV has enough elevation to be devoid of Valley Fever. Cooler, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott