Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

OK - so there is a rule that teams must interview a minority coach before making a decision on whom to hire.

With Dallas - they must wait if they hire Garrett until they interview a black coaching candidate.

With Minnesota - they can go forth and hire Frazier without interviewing anyone.

Fair? Unfair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
It's as fair or unfair as any other affirmative action...

Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
OK - so there is a rule that teams must interview a minority coach before making a decision on whom to hire.

With Dallas - they must wait if they hire Garrett until they interview a black coaching candidate.

With Minnesota - they can go forth and hire Frazier without interviewing anyone.

Fair? Unfair?

just want to clarify...the candidate must be a minority, not just black.

i think the nfl is past this kind of rule, and it's most likely a slap to the face of any legitimate candidate that is being interviewed for a job solely b/c he's a minority.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,849,513 times
So much for judging by content rather than by color... What a ridiculous rule.. Imagine if the NBA had a rule that 70% of the players at tryouts had to be white as that is the percentage of the population?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times
IMO, it's a stupid rule. Whoever is the most qualified should get the job. It shouldn't matter whether they have white, black or purple skin color.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:35 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
just want to clarify...the candidate must be a minority, not just black.
If you look around the look today, you'll notice that whites are actually in the "minority" of players. In some cities, whites are also the minority, so I wonder how the league defines minority. Probably anyone who is not white.

The rule is dumb. Choose the best man for the job based on credentials, not race.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,414,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
If you look around the look today, you'll notice that whites are actually in the "minority" of players. In some cities, whites are also the minority, so I wonder how the league defines minority. Probably anyone who is not white.

The rule is dumb. Choose the best man for the job based on credentials, not race.
you know, you're absolutely correct. and back to what i said before...i could only imagine here, but i believe, if i was a "minority" as defined by the nfl, i would be offended to have an owner call me up for an interview, knowing that the only reason he/she may be calling ME is because i'm a "minority"...

if you ask me, it's just holding our country back...racism will continue as long as "laws" and policies like this are still in tact.

no doubt, if this "law" and other affirmative action laws were dropped, there would be some $h!t storms to go through, but in the long run, i have no doubt things would work out for the better...

Old 01-03-2011, 02:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
I'm black and I think it's stupid. I'm a Panthers fan who doesn't care what color my coach is as long as he can bring winning football back to Carolina. We could, BTW, have the first hispanic head coach in Ron Rivera (a very deserving man.) The only color that should matter in football is whatever color the Lombardi trophy is.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:52 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Let me end this one: does the Rooney Rule apply to fielding the best 53 man squad? Do the coaches, on cutdown day, use these parameters when picking who to cut?

Let's extend the Rooney Rule premise to something a little more important, like say, the OPERATING ROOM! And you are supine, on the table, in need of some qualified medical professional to save your life. Do we use the Rooney Rule to pick the surgeon to perform the triple bypass surgery, or do you want the best-qualified doctor?

Mike Tomlin in my view is one of the 3 best head coaches in the NFL. The man knows his business. All he does is field a winning team, each year. Previously, Tony Dungy. Lovie Smith and Raheem Morris enjoyed very successful seasons. I can assure you these coaches were picked because of their character, and their intelligence, not because of some dumb rule. The NFL is a multi-million dollar enterprise.

This is 2011. Seriously, does ANYONE know anybody who really thinks this way, any longer? To immediately, and reflexively, disqualify a coach, or any other hire, on the basis of their looks? I guess there are some people who still do, and this is a damned shame.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:15 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,184 times
Rooney Rule: Affirmative action at its worst. . .as the rule does not require the owner of the team to hire minorities only to interview them, absurd.

The rule only exist to appease public politically correct organizations that frequently complain about racial inequality, useless rule nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football