Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times

Advertisements

How can you chose only 5?

Manning, Brady, Farve, Marino, Warner, Griese, Staubach, Starr, Stabler, Montana, Bradshaw, Elway, Unitas, Young, Tarkenton, Kelly Aikman, Fouts.... The list goes on and on.

Differnt era's, different offenses, different rulebooks. Its very hard to compare across the times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 01:28 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
The Tom Brady thread got me wondering about the top five. This is my list for right now. I didn't do a lot of hard thinking about who to include. So it is subject to change but most likely only the order. It is harder for me to go back further than Montana being that I am under the age of 30.

1)Montana
2)Brady
3)Peyton
4)Marino
5)Elway

What's yours?
1. Montana
2. Young
3. Jeff Garcia
4. John Brodie
5. Alex Smith

Old 09-19-2011, 04:17 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
1. Montana
2. Young
3. Jeff Garcia
4. John Brodie
5. Alex Smith
Sarcasm detected

Old 09-19-2011, 08:41 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Van Broklin
Fauts
Stabler
Montana
Brady

Old 09-19-2011, 09:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
To compile such a list, you must include Otto Graham, Bart Starr and Joe Montana. After that, just make a case for two other QBs.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Otto Graham, Unitas, Montana

Brady and Manning.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 AM

625 posts, read 952,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
The Tom Brady thread got me wondering about the top five. This is my list for right now. I didn't do a lot of hard thinking about who to include. So it is subject to change but most likely only the order. It is harder for me to go back further than Montana being that I am under the age of 30.

1)Montana
2)Brady
3)Peyton
4)Marino
5)Elway

What's yours?

Imagine if the Patriots had won Super Bowl XLII after going undefeated in the 2007 regular season. Tom Brady would have been ranked #1 on this list if the Patriots had not lost that Super Bowl. I think Elway should be ranked above Marino since Elway won two Super Bowls. I think Peyton is a top 10 all-time QB but what about Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, and Brett Farve?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous51 View Post
Imagine if the Patriots had won Super Bowl XLII after going undefeated in the 2007 regular season. Tom Brady would have been ranked #1 on this list if the Patriots had not lost that Super Bowl. I think Elway should be ranked above Marino since Elway won two Super Bowls. I think Peyton is a top 10 all-time QB but what about Troy Aikman, Terry Bradshaw, and Brett Farve?

Why would the result of a single game make that much difference in your rankings. A QB does not win games, a team win games. You can be the best QB to ever play the game and never make the playoffs much less win a Super Bowl. It doesnt matter how great you are at your position, you cannot win unless you have a team that is able to do so.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Peyton Manning is the best QB to ever play the game. I dont know how anyone can make an argument against that. There is not a single player to ever play football that has the understanding of the game he does. There has never been a QB as technically proficient as he is. There has never been a player that is more valuable to his team than he his. He literally makes the difference between the Colts being a Super Bowl contender to being one of the worst teams in the league. I am not sure there has been a single player that has that kind of impact for a team in the history of the game. This is not the case simply because of his play but because of his leadership, his ability to call plays on the fly, and his ability to make his offense one of the most unpredictable and dangerous in the league.

Other QBs to be given consideration: Favre, Montana, Marino, Fouts, Starr

Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Peyton Manning is the best QB to ever play the game. I dont know how anyone can make an argument against that. There is not a single player to ever play football that has the understanding of the game he does. There has never been a QB as technically proficient as he is. There has never been a player that is more valuable to his team than he his. He literally makes the difference between the Colts being a Super Bowl contender to being one of the worst teams in the league. I am not sure there has been a single player that has that kind of impact for a team in the history of the game. This is not the case simply because of his play but because of his leadership, his ability to call plays on the fly, and his ability to make his offense one of the most unpredictable and dangerous in the league.

Other QBs to be given consideration: Favre, Montana, Marino, Fouts, Starr
yeah? well for cripes sakes, there's a lot more to be an NFL quarterback besides having a monstrously sized head...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football