Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 07:38 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I don't think the punishment makes any sense at all. The money means nothing to these guys, they make millions so a half mil is nothing to them. They should forfeit the game against the Jets, lose first 2 round picks and pay the fine. This is to make sure no one else ever tries this or if they are, they should stop NOW before getting caught. This is just a slap on the hand as far as I'm concerned.

1st, do you really think the incident affected that game in anyway? He got caught in the 1st qtr and no one was ever able to view the tape. the pats killed the jets because they are the better team.

If everyteam is pushing the envalope in every way to gain some competative edge than is it really cheating or is it just part of the sport?

I love the Pats so I am bias. But, doesn't this have more to do with the publics dislike for Bill, Jets HC tiff with Bill, and the fact that he more or less defied the comissioner's letter which specifically stated not to do this exact thing.

In the end I really can't say how much this has affected the pats winning games. I guess we'll see sunday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
1st, do you really think the incident affected that game in anyway? He got caught in the 1st qtr and no one was ever able to view the tape. the pats killed the jets because they are the better team.

If everyteam is pushing the envalope in every way to gain some competative edge than is it really cheating or is it just part of the sport?

I love the Pats so I am bias. But, doesn't this have more to do with the publics dislike for Bill, Jets HC tiff with Bill, and the fact that he more or less defied the comissioner's letter which specifically stated not to do this exact thing.

In the end I really can't say how much this has affected the pats winning games. I guess we'll see sunday!

As I said before, this is not going to affect the Pats and they still would have won the game regardless. My point is that the penalty should be severe enough to deter anyone from doing and/or continuing to do this sort of thing. Again the Pats would have won the game regardless of this and the penalty won't affect them either but the point is detering other teams from doing this.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:06 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Just got through watching the "BIG PRESS CONFERENCE" with Belichcik. Can he please man up. "All our focus is on the Chargers", "I'm moving forward, were moving on", "The past is behind us" He couldn't even answer the question "how did you interpret the rule" Bottom line is he didn't answer a question put to him, very sad!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:48 AM

As smart as Belicheck is I can't believe he was so stupid to get caught......or to play into Mangini's hands. I can see Belichecks stance already just from the two press releases. "Our interpretation of the rule", "we never used video as a competitive edge during the game".

OK, so his stance is "I thought it would be ok if we were just using it as a competitive edge for a later date". (which is probably true, can't imagine the logistics of trying to decipher the video in game)

but come on, he knew what he was doing was against the rules. here's what he should of said!

It's my job as head coach to gain every competitve edge against our apponants as I certaintly feel every NFl team is trying to gain an edge over us. With this particular incident it is very clear that I over stepped the boundries. I am truely sorry for bringing this kind of negative attention to the kraft family, the team, and myself. As I stated before the use of the tapes were only to gain a competitive edge for later games. It is clear this is not acceptable and for the future this kind of activity will stop"

BLA bla bla bla. ect.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
As I said before, this is not going to affect the Pats and they still would have won the game regardless. My point is that the penalty should be severe enough to deter anyone from doing and/or continuing to do this sort of thing. Again the Pats would have won the game regardless of this and the penalty won't affect them either but the point is detering other teams from doing this.
I see your point. I think this will definately deter other teams from getting "Caught". Just the negative attention alone is huge distraction!

I'll bet though there will be even more spying going on......but this time it will be in an effort to catch other teams "cheating" or trying to gain a competitive edge.

I mean all of the attention has been placed on belicheck and the patriots. but really this was a huge success for Mangini..and in retrospect it was Mangini and the Jets that just gained a HUGE competitive edge

Old 09-14-2007, 11:14 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
As much as I'm a Dolphin fan, I should be relishing in this and hoping the worst for the Patriots. But I don't. I respect them for what they've been able to do in the free agency market. Their achievements mean so much more because they did it in a period that was far different from the 49ers of the 80s and the Cowboys of the 90s. I really don't think that it impacted their win/loss ration that much over the years, I simply think they were that good.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 PM

262 posts, read 300,209 times
Quote:
Just got through watching the "BIG PRESS CONFERENCE" with Belichcik. Can he please man up. "All our focus is on the Chargers", "I'm moving forward, were moving on", "The past is behind us" He couldn't even answer the question "how did you interpret the rule" Bottom line is he didn't answer a question put to him, very sad!
Belichick never really answers a question if theres a question about a injury hell always answer its day to day he always generalizes his answers.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:20 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Even though I'm not in agreement that any of the patriot's records should be affected, I did have to post this because it's funny.

New Patriot's Logo:

http://bogp.com/recordingits.gif (broken link)

Old 09-14-2007, 01:35 PM

160 posts, read 775,242 times
I love the "new logo"

I'm sorry to say, but they are not the only ones doing this... others just have not been caught. Its 2007.... every team wants to be bigger and better. I'm sure they are always coming up with new ways to "cheat" and get ahead.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:47 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
That's a great logo, I like it.

Here is a good Redskins joke for you, I heard Dan Snyder has spent millions of dollars this week on Spy equipment from Japan to duplicate the Patriots' success!! Now all he has to do is figure out how to bring back Doug Williams and the Hogs!!

Regardless, Go 'Skins this Monday night!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football