Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:47 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

The silver lining for Redskins fans is that Kirk Cousins is actually good. I wonder if Cousins will have a breakout season the same way Tom Brady did when Drew Bledsoe went down.

Both were respectable Big Ten QBs who were drafted in the late rounds. Just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 01:17 PM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The silver lining for Redskins fans is that Kirk Cousins is actually good. I wonder if Cousins will have a breakout season the same way Tom Brady did when Drew Bledsoe went down.

Both were respectable Big Ten QBs who were drafted in the late rounds. Just sayin.
I guess the best case scenario would have been RG3 benched when he won the division. Cousins then would have taken all the snaps in practice. Boy, that would have went over well but in hindsight that would be the route to take.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I guess the best case scenario would have been RG3 benched when he won the division. Cousins then would have taken all the snaps in practice. Boy, that would have went over well but in hindsight that would be the route to take.
That's what I would have done. I know everybody wants to follow the N.Y. Giants "just get to the playoffs and anything can happen" model, but I'm sorry, it wasn't going to happen for the Redskins. At least not this year. The Redskins' secondary is suspect and Pierre Garçon is no Victor Cruz or Mario Manningham despite any protestations to the contrary. Even if they had lucked out and gotten to the Bowl, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning would have completely eviscerated the Redskins' defense. So I don't think it was worth it to put the future of the franchise at further risk.

The funny thing is that the Vikings' head coach looks like a genius now for sitting Ponder out against the Packers. You sit your franchise player--especially a young franchise player--out of games precisely to avoid this type of potentially long-term injury.

I'm sure Shanahan is revisiting that decision in his mind every four nanoseconds.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 01-08-2013 at 01:34 PM..

Old 01-08-2013, 02:14 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that putting Cousins in was no guarantee? .
i don't think any of us skins fans are guaranteeing a win with cousins. But a 2-legged Cousins is probably better than a 1-legged Griffin LOL. RG3's passes were all over the place because he couldn't push off when throwing.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:35 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I didn't think it was a guarantee, I just felt RGIII should have been out of the game. I turned it off because I felt he was an accident waiting for a place to happen, couldn't stand it, turned it back on and sure enough he was on the ground.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM

570 posts, read 581,137 times
just a terrible injury for such an all around exciting player...

Old 01-08-2013, 04:06 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,634,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I didn't think it was a guarantee, I just felt RGIII should have been out of the game. I turned it off because I felt he was an accident waiting for a place to happen, couldn't stand it, turned it back on and sure enough he was on the ground.
You're absolutely correct. As a long time Redskin fan, not only was this situation mishandled, but the beating this kid took all season leading to the condition concerned many following RG3's development. The talk about how long he could hold up in this particular offense began early in the season, and it was a valid concern.

The injury suffered against the Ravens was classified as a 1st degree sprain of the LCL ... but I have my suspicions that it may have been a bit more severe than they led on. The week off as Cousins took the reins in Cleveland was not enough time for proper recovery, and though RG3 managed the game against Philly the following week, he was clearly slowed. In the Cowboys game, Robert looked to be in worse shape, though he claimed the injury was "better". But that game, Alfred Morris carried the load with 33 carries and 200 yards, to RG3's 9/18 passing and 100 yards total ... his worst statistical performance of the year. The LCL sprain likely worsened in those two games with Philly and Dallas, perhaps to a partial tear. Then, on the second drive in the 1st QT against Seattle, he clearly came up lame on that roll out on the play just before the second TD pass. That's when the ACL was damaged ... you could see his knee collapse as he tried to come to an abrupt stop .... then he falls and pulls his helmet off ... not a good sign. But he gets up and limps back to the huddle and runs the next play an throws a TD. But after that, he was done .. and it was evident that he couldn't run, but he couldn't throw either, as he couldn't drive off that right leg.

So in retrospect, he should have been pulled right then, but I don't fault Shanahan for not making a move then. His guy is telling him he was OK ... HOWEVER ..... as the 2nd Quarter played out, it was clear to anyone watching that he was done, and there is no earthly excuse for seeing him start the 3rd Q. That's when I was screaming bloody murder at the TV. Cousins absolutely should have come in starting the second half. ... no excuses, no cry baby stuff ... Shanahan is in charge and he made a horrific decision to leave RG3 in there ... likely playing on a torn ACL and LCL, and risking further damage to RG3, jeopardizing the game, and next season too.

There is no doubt in my mind that Shanahan should be shown the door for this blunder. He rode RG3 like a pack mule all year, and rode him right to the bitter end, until he collapsed.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
Reading articles now, he needs surgery, and once in there, seeing how his knee is, may need more surgery, the fact he has had this before, very complicated and to me, frustrating because it didn't have to be this way.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
-Did the QB bully the head coach into making the wrong decision
If a rookie can bully a head coach about anything he shouldn't be a head coach at all.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Complete reconstruction of the knee. Repair LCL, and apparently the fixed acl from 2009 had "come undone."

Dr. andrews is considered the best ortho surgeon in the country. His words were 6-8 months, so thats what im gonna roll with.

Heres to a speedy recovery, Robert!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football