Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,111,956 times

Advertisements

The read option has nothing to do with RG3 getting hurt.

RG3 suffered two injuries this year, a concussion against Atlanta, and a strained ACL against Baltimore. In both those plays, there was nobody open and he was under tremendous pressure, so he took off running downfield. Both injuries are a result of him not sliding soon enough, fighting for that extra yard. If he would've slid a second earlier on both plays, neither injury would have occured. Again, just to make sure everybody is clear, none of RG3's injuries this year came from the read option. He simply took off downfield on broken plays to avoid being sacked. I know he's young, but Griffin needs to realize its not worth the risk of injury to keep running for an extra yard or two. Griffin himself is 100% the reason he was injured this season.

Oh, and I love how fans and analysts consider Kyle Shanahan's scheme a "gimmick offense," and they use the term negatively. Well, that "gimmick offense" was the 4th highest scoring offense in the NFL. That "gimmick offense" led to a rookie QB having the 2nd best QB rating in the league, and a rookie running back breaking the Redskins all-time franchise record for rushing yards in a season.

And remember, RG3 did all of that with his starting tight end Fred Davis going out for the season week 4, and Pierre Garcon his #1 receiver missing 9 of 16 games. That would be like Matt Ryan being without Tony Gonzalez and Julio Jones, or Tony Romo being without Witten and Dez Bryant.

So analysts and fans who don't like it or don't understand it call the Redskins offense a gimmick because it don't fit some mold, I call it the 4th best offense in the NFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Good point but, when RGIII runs the READ OPTION, sliding is not one of his options... Although he was hurt during a scramble out of a passing play and could have slid to avoid heavy contact, that is not an option out of a designed run. He has no protection guaranteed him on a designed run as he does during a designed pass play. He can obviously get down, get out of bounds or slide but that does not make him ineligible from being hit by a defender... But that's not really the point, the point is when RGIII is running, whether its a scramble or a designed run he is at a greater risk of injury than if he sits in the pocket and tosses the ball... And you have to decide as a team (coach, owner, etc) if its worth the risk... Personally I dont' think it is and you only run the read option if your QB is not good enough to win from the pocket.... I don't think that is the case with RGIII.. but I could be wrong. I think the Redskins put this offense in place to help RGIII be successful as a rookie and were probably planning on phasing out out as he progressed during the season but it became so prolific that they started to lean on it more and more.. who can blame them!

I certainly do not think the read option is gimmicky I just think it is not practical to run more than 2 or 3 times a game. I believe that the Redskins will almost certainly adjust their offense next season and you will see a lot less read option plays being called. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.. Its just not wise to put your franchise QB in harms way any more than necessary.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 PM

426 posts, read 958,679 times
What's the thought in DC about getting your owner to invest in a decent playing surface? To hear the talking heads on ESPN, etc, your franchise QB is gone for 6-8 months minimum because he was playing on a glorified sandlot.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
What's the thought in DC about getting your owner to invest in a decent playing surface? To hear the talking heads on ESPN, etc, your franchise QB is gone for 6-8 months minimum because he was playing on a glorified sandlot.
Funny, but up until this game, I had not heard anything negative about the playing surface at Fedex field. The most notorious offenders always seemed to be Soldier Field, Bengals stadium and Heinz Field.

ESPN is misdirected when it comes to blaming the field for RG III's aggravated injury. The first contact, against the Ravens, that was a vicious hit. It had nothing to do with the FedEx Field surface.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Good point but, when RGIII runs the READ OPTION, sliding is not one of his options... Although he was hurt during a scramble out of a passing play and could have slid to avoid heavy contact, that is not an option out of a designed run. He has no protection guaranteed him on a designed run as he does during a designed pass play. He can obviously get down, get out of bounds or slide but that does not make him ineligible from being hit by a defender... But that's not really the point, the point is when RGIII is running, whether its a scramble or a designed run he is at a greater risk of injury than if he sits in the pocket and tosses the ball... And you have to decide as a team (coach, owner, etc) if its worth the risk... Personally I dont' think it is and you only run the read option if your QB is not good enough to win from the pocket.... I don't think that is the case with RGIII.. but I could be wrong. I think the Redskins put this offense in place to help RGIII be successful as a rookie and were probably planning on phasing out out as he progressed during the season but it became so prolific that they started to lean on it more and more.. who can blame them!

I certainly do not think the read option is gimmicky I just think it is not practical to run more than 2 or 3 times a game. I believe that the Redskins will almost certainly adjust their offense next season and you will see a lot less read option plays being called. I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.. Its just not wise to put your franchise QB in harms way any more than necessary.
You make some good points. And I do agree with you. Though RG3 is probably the fastest QB in the league, he does run too often. Granted the offense cut down on designed runs later in the season, but RG3 does get hit a lot. Besides their pro bowl right tackle, the Redskins offensive line is actually pretty bad. But RG3's mobility masked that. I have to find the link to the stat, but I believe between being sacked, knocked down, and being hit while running the ball, RG3 was in the top 5 of QBs taking hits.

And yes, you are right about RG3 being good enough to win the game from the pocket. Once he comes back from that knee injury, I can definitely see the skins cutting down on that read option. maybe run it 3 or 4 times a game to keep defenses honest, but as a Redskins fan I grew tired of holding my breath every time RG3 ran the ball. He doesn't have the size of a Ben Roth to take those hits. RG3's body type is that of an olympic sprinter. Very lean, and not much additional weight at all. These defensive players lick their chops everytime Robert tucks it and runs.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Many people in DC and on the Redskins forums consider Fedex to be the worst field in the NFL.

When talking about the field and RG3, a lot of people say "The Redskins are running a Ferarri on a pot-holed city street. Which is kinda true. The Redskins play a very fast style of offense, and the field doesn't help that.

And whether the RG3 injury can be connected to the field or not, after the national media talking about what a crap field it is, Dan Snyder might pump some money into it this off-season and get a new surface.

How does the 2nd richest pro sports franchise in the United States have the worst field?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
. But that's not really the point, the point is when RGIII is running, whether its a scramble or a designed run he is at a greater risk of injury than if he sits in the pocket and tosses the ball.
Yep.

So here's my question: If Cousins comes in next season and pulls a Tom Brady, what you do with RG3?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM

Dr. Andrews, RG3's surgeon, releases statement:

Quote:
STATEMENT FROM JAMES R. ANDREWS, M.D., ANDREWS INSTITUTE
REGARDING PROCEDURE PERFORMED ON ROBERT GRIFFIN III

"Robert Griffin III had successful knee surgery early this morning. He had a direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction. We expect a full recovery and it is everybody's hope and belief that due to Robert's high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season.

The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career."

Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Funny, but up until this game, I had not heard anything negative about the playing surface at Fedex field. The most notorious offenders always seemed to be Soldier Field, Bengals stadium and Heinz Field.

ESPN is misdirected when it comes to blaming the field for RG III's aggravated injury. The first contact, against the Ravens, that was a vicious hit. It had nothing to do with the FedEx Field surface.
from a 2010 NFLPA survey:

Best Grass Fields....
1. University of Phoenix Stadium (Arizona)
2. Raymond James Stadium (Tampa Bay)
3. Qualcomm Stadium (San Diego)
4. Bank of America Stadium (Carolina)
5. Lambeau Field (Green Bay)

Worst Grass Fields
1. Heinz Field (Pittsburgh)
2. Oakland Coliseum
3. Soldier Field (Chicago)
4. Sun Life Stadium (Miami)
5. Cleveland Brown Stadium

Best Atificial Turf
1. Lucas Oil Stadium (Indianapolis)
2. New Meadowlands Stadium (New York)
3. Superdome (New Orleans)
4. Qwest Field (Seattle)
5. Cowboys Stadium (Dallas)

Worst Articial Turf
1. Metrodome (Minnesota)
2. Ralph Wilson Stadium (Buffalo)
3. Edward Jones Dome (St. Louis)
4. Paul Brown Stadium (Cincinnati)
5. New Meadowlands Stadium (New York)

Player survey reveals Arizona, Indy have best fields in NFL - NFL.com

Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM

20 posts, read 19,684 times
What does Jay Cutler have to do with RGIII's injury? It's irrelevant. As a Baylor alum who has followed Griffin's career development for the past several years his performance on Sunday was, by far, the worst that I have ever seen him play. I refuse to make excuses for Baylor athletes and I put the blame squarely on RGIII himself for this injury. A professional athlete has to take personal responsibility for thier own health and well-being, knowing thier performance levels, knowing safe working (i.e. the "field") conditions, dealing with potential media/public criticism, etc. because that is in their job description. He was raised to take personal responsibility for his decisions, and I have no doubt that he will do this because he expects it from himself. That being said Shanahan should have benched him in the 1st quarter when even Helen Keller could have seen that his performance was poor because of his injury. Shanahan needs to take responsibility for that poor decision, but from what little I've read about Shanahan I don't hold out much hope for that

RGIII claimed at his post game press conference that he gave the Skins the best shot at winning the game. Does he really have such little respect for the ability of Cousins? Or is he that deluded that he really thought that he could play better then a healthy Cousins who had already proven himself as a backup? On a side note ask Texas Tech fans about how they were introduced to Baylor QB Nick Florence.

I'm embarrassed that a Baylor grad would put himself before his own teammates and even his own longterm health like this. As a Baylor alum I will always support Robert and wish him success, but from my vantage point he needs to reign in his ego and competitive nature a bit. Hopefully during rehab he will meditate on Proverbs 16:18 and how it applies to his life, and hopefully he comes out of this a stronger and much wiser teammate, but more importantly, a better person. I have little doubt that he will as he worked through an ACL injury at Baylor and then went on to win our program's first ever Heisman Trophy.

~ Sic'em Robert!

Last edited by 007Fan; 01-09-2013 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football