Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:40 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times

Advertisements

(edited to stay on the football topic)

Slavery was the worst behavior known to man, and the people who perpetuated it and today indirectly benefit from it, have been and are being rewarded. Yes, this is F'd up.

Richard Sherman plays a position in the NFL reserved for the best. He traveled very far to reach the pinnacle, and had a tougher road of it. His passion for the game is appreciated, and he is absolutely in the right with who he is and what he does. I for one an extremely delight that the athlete who is excelling in this manner is a confident, versatile, brash, vocal, passionate, intense, and supremely effective black man.

I hope he and his team prevail on Sunday. They have been the best team all year.

Go Hawks!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-28-2014 at 05:04 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 01:43 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
yeah - the PNW is a large enough market to get 3 players in the top 10 without any sort of national sales................

the point is pretty clear - no other defender has sold more jerseys than him in 2013, not even stars in large markets or that play for iconic franchises

however, even if it was all local sales that is an incredible draw that would be worthwhile to national companies that sell product in that area for a targeted approach

either way, he's positioned to cash in a lot more than any other 5th round defensive player in their 3rd year that I can remember
I have yet to see a Sherman Jersey where I live (Atlanta) but by this time next week, there might be hundreds.. some NFL fans flock to the champs like flies to well, you know....

What is the point of continuing to remind us when Sherman was drafted? Are we supposed to be impressed that a 5th rounder has come this far.. ? Brady was a 7th as I recall.. or are you suggesting he was an under achieving college player? Could this have something to do with the PEDs ? Regardless, I am not following your line of thinking..

Old 01-28-2014, 02:15 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
What is the point of continuing to remind us when Sherman was drafted?
Because it's relevant to how much he's been able to raise his personal brand and status in under 3 years - he didn't come into the league with a name or really any recognition, yet he's one of the most sought after interviews currently.

You may not like it, but it's worthwhile. It's also important to him since he's not making first round cash that any additional revenue is always nice.

Plus it gives more light to his foundations and other interests - an all around win

Quote:
Brady was a 7th as I recall
Also a QB

Sherman plays corner - where to get endorsements, media attention, etc you typically need to do more than anyone on offense ...... the league is geared and marketed towards offense .... people care what Sherman has to say ...... that's rare for any defensive player these days

Quote:
Could this have something to do with the PEDs ? Regardless, I am not following your line of thinking..
His draft status? No, not at all.

However, continued ignorance is cute and all

Old 01-28-2014, 02:20 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
There is a picture of all the cameras pointed at Sherman at media day, insane really. Reading his comments/answers today, I get a different picture of Richard Sherman. I think the other is a big deal about the heat of the moment, coming immediately after the game and the media loves it. They were still showing clips of it 5 days afterwards.

I've read/heard players saying the media access is getting to be too much and they don't have a chance to be in the moment themselves whether it be a win or a loss after a game. I tend to agree with those comments.

This thread, now that the SB is here, should probably die. Reading some of the comments, no one is going to state their case sufficiently to change someone from yay or nay. If anyone thinks about it, all the athletes, their high opinions of themselves, the most obnoxious list could be very, very long!

Last edited by susancruzs; 01-28-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 02:43 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
His excellence reminds me of our current President, and these people should be honored and revered, not unreasonably and irrationally condemned because they don't "know their place.
Sherman was an ass for being a bad winner and shoving it in the face of an opponent. Being African American has nothing to do with it. If you consider my opinion to be based on race you are being unfair to his critics and frankly you don't have that right.

If this was an isolated incident I may be more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. But it wasn't, it's been a pattern of behavior. Another example below, and I hate Skip Bayless. But Sherman just didn't know when to stop as he personally attacked Bayless. "i'm better at life than you" does nothing but confirm my opinion that at times he acts like a classless ass.

Richard Sherman vs. Skip Bayless on ESPN 1st Take - YouTube

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 01-28-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Because it's relevant to how much he's been able to raise his personal brand and status in under 3 years - he didn't come into the league with a name or really any recognition, yet he's one of the most sought after interviews currently.

You may not like it, but it's worthwhile. It's also important to him since he's not making first round cash that any additional revenue is always nice.

Plus it gives more light to his foundations and other interests - an all around win

Also a QB

Sherman plays corner - where to get endorsements, media attention, etc you typically need to do more than anyone on offense ...... the league is geared and marketed towards offense .... people care what Sherman has to say ...... that's rare for any defensive player these days

His draft status? No, not at all.

However, continued ignorance is cute and all
Agreed with your corner to QB comparison.. concerning endorsements. Its much harder for corners and defense men all around.. so his lack of endorsements could be due to his position vs his out bursts. But personally I don't believe his outbursts will improve his endorsement status. I guess, we can only wait and see on that front.

As far as jersey sales, does he actually get a cut of that revenue?

I believe the reason he is sought after for interviews is that the interviewer is hoping to get another outburst.... no doubt he is a lightening rod for this stuff..

I don't claim to be the PED expert but ignorant on the Sherman issue, I am not.
I know that Sherman tested positive for PEDs.... I also know that he appealed and won. The reason he won the appeal was because the CUP used to take the sample was cracked or leaking so the sample was moved to another CUP. I was in favor of the suspension being over turned because of the issue with the CUP but I am not naive enough to believe that the CUP or transfer caused the sample to be tainted.. but there has to be some standard applied or things could get way out of control. If there is any issue with the sample, it gets voided, regardless of circumstance..

Personally, I don't blame him for using PEDs. Perhaps he felt he needed PEDs to play at this level, perhaps he felt what he was taking was not a PED or HE was ignorant to what is and what is not a PED.. I am ignorant to WHY he used them, no doubt. It appears he was simply following the Seahawks routine since many of their defensive players tested positive.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Agreed with your corner to QB comparison.. concerning endorsements. Its much harder for corners and defense men all around.. so his lack of endorsements could be due to his position vs his out bursts. But personally I don't believe his outbursts will improve his endorsement status. I guess, we can only wait and see on that front.
He's already starting to pull in deals .... he won't ever get offensive player type endorsements, but will be near the top for defenders I'm sure ....... guy is charismatic and get people interested

Quote:
As far as jersey sales, does he actually get a cut of that revenue?
Nope - well at least not beyond the portion that is considered revenue and then divided under the CBA ... but he does sell his own apparel as well

Quote:
I don't claim to be the PED expert but ignorant on the Sherman issue, I am not.
I know that Sherman tested positive for PEDs.... I also know that he appealed and won. The reason he won the appeal was because the CUP used to take the sample was cracked or leaking so the sample was moved to another CUP. I was in favor of the suspension being over turned because of the issue with the CUP but I am not naive enough to believe that the CUP or transfer caused the sample to be tainted.. but there has to be some standard applied or things could get way out of control. If there is any issue with the sample, it gets voided, regardless of circumstance..

Personally, I don't blame him for using PEDs. Perhaps he felt he needed PEDs to play at this level, perhaps he felt what he was taking was not a PED or HE was ignorant to what is and what is not a PED.. I am ignorant to WHY he used them, no doubt. It appears he was simply following the Seahawks routine since many of their defensive players tested positive.
You were talking about why he was a 5th round pick - anything that happens after that point is irrelevant to why he was picked when he was .......... that answer lies mainly with him changing positions from WR in college

As for the PED, you may want to read up on the appeal or really any appeals .... it's almost impossible to win an appeal - it's not as black and white as any issue with the sample would be voided .... there were other issues with his sample that would have stood on their own, as mentioned in the appeal (like the pH being out of range) ........ there were many things wrong with the sample

It's also funny that the team Seattle is facing this weekend has almost an identical string of violations - yet we hear nothing of it.........

Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM

For some reason, Football as a sports gets none of the backlash the baseball players get for PED use.. its almost and accepted practice.

But are we to believe that because Sherman won the appeal, he in fact DID NOT use PEDS?

Old 01-29-2014, 10:30 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,947,475 times
I'll take Sherman on my team any day. So, he reacted on the heat of the moment and then apologized, who cares, football is a physical game with lots of trash talk, players are not immune.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
For some reason, Football as a sports gets none of the backlash the baseball players get for PED use.. its almost and accepted practice.

But are we to believe that because Sherman won the appeal, he in fact DID NOT use PEDS?
Read the appeal decision and make your own decision - also look at how many successful appeals get through the NFL for any reason, it just doesn't happen

It should also be noted that the NFL broke the confidentiality agreement contained within the CBA and the drug program - which is does with pretty much every case even if they pass on responsibility to "media leaks"

Also, while it may make a fun talking point the fact is that only one player for the Seattle defense will have a suspension for PEDs that will play on Sunday and that is Bruce Irvin who isn't in the secondary - Thurmond had 4 games for substance abuse (non-PED) .... other than that I can't think of any other players on the defense that have had any type of NFL suspension

Baseball and football are definitely different in this regard and this backlash though

Starting with the Steelers teams in the 70s many franchises have built themselves off of full blown steroid use - there have been tragic stories like Alzado, guys who broke their body down like Tony Mandarich, etc

On the other hand though, if you really look at it a 50 game baseball suspension is 31% of their season while a 4 game NFL suspension is 25% of their season so the initial punishments aren't that far off ..... the media outrage is definitely different though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football