Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 05:50 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The ball was moving the whole time on the Clement TD and per the rule that's not a TD. I am not saying I agree with the rule. Had this been a regular season game, the TD gets overturned.

I agree.....once he got complete possession(ball not moving) his 2nd foot touched the line....this is a catch in College football but not in the NFL by the rules.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:19 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,008,536 times
IMO it was gutsy to run it on 3rd and 5. Pats were going to stuff it, and they did. I would have tried a play-action pass for something safe. As long as it's a catch even if it's only 2 or 3 yards, it's not a big deal. But the upside of a first down means game over. Of course there's a risk of getting sacked out of field goal range or an interception, but...

and the going for 2 at 15-3 was just idiotic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
Last post on this thread, as its back to being the train wreck it was before game day, I will just point out that the offivciating was great. We're always dumping on the officials, so I'll give credit where it's due. They let the players decide the game and were thorough in the review of the Ertz TD as to why the play was upheld. See ya in September.
I agree except that they took so long for the replays on such obvious touchdowns. It slows the game down, and gives both teams an extra timeout (not sure who benefitted, if anyone, but this sort of thing is way worse in basketball).

The Patriots need to figure out how to avoid playing from behind. Sounds strange for such a successful team, and who knows how their team will get shaken up over the next 6 months, but they fell behind in every playoff game this year. They're perfectly capable of scoring more than 10-12 points in the first half of a game.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:26 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,275,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post

The Patriots need to figure out how to avoid playing from behind. Sounds strange for such a successful team, and who knows how their team will get shaken up over the next 6 months, but they fell behind in every playoff game this year. They're perfectly capable of scoring more than 10-12 points in the first half of a game.

they have to fix their 29th ranked defense.......they accomplished a lot with that defense but if they want to be back and get another ring, they have to start rebuilding that defense.

on offense, the Pats are good with Eldelman coming back next season.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:59 PM

I guess my biggest question would be Josh McDaniels leaving. You also wonder how long Brady can keep being Brady. Both Manning and Favre had historic seasons at "old" age, and they fell off a cliff so quickly it was shocking.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I heard that if it's a Hail Mary the refs will pretty much stuff the whistles in their pockets. There have been historically very few PI's on such plays.
Yeah that's the other obvious thing too.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:13 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,288,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I guess my biggest question would be Josh McDaniels leaving. You also wonder how long Brady can keep being Brady. Both Manning and Favre had historic seasons at "old" age, and they fell off a cliff so quickly it was shocking.
Well, based on Brady's performance throughout his career up to and including the Super Bowl, no cliff. At least not yet. Brady has far eclipsed "the best old man in the NFL performance ever" this year.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Well, based on Brady's performance throughout his career up to and including the Super Bowl, no cliff. At least not yet. Brady has far eclipsed "the best old man in the NFL performance ever" this year.
I agree, but it's incredibly stupid to not put any effort into preparing for that moment. If it never comes, great. But if it does, do you really want Brian Hoyer stepping in?

Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
Not being in Philadelphia, I will not be able to join the festivities on Thursday. But I am sure it will be televised.

From the Eagles home page it looks like NBC10 (That is such a weird thing to a CBS10 kid) hosted the regular season games. Does this mean they will televise the parade? If so, do you think it will be webcast too?

Old 02-05-2018, 09:01 PM

808 posts, read 690,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I saw that as well. I'm not sure if Brady had rolled out of the pocket or not but if he did I think it may be legal in that situation to blow up a receiver as long as the ball is not yet in the air because the QB could be deemed a runner by rule. This is at least what was explained to me when Richard Sherman blew up a Bills receiver in the Monday Night game a couple years ago as Taylor was scrambling out of the pocket.
Brady did have to scramble out of the pocket on the hail mary due to pressure by the Eagles. NFL rules state that once the QB leaves the pocket, illegal contact doesn't apply anymore as long as the ball isn't in the air. I couldn't tell whether or not Brady was already out of the pocket when that happened, or if he still had the ball, but if the answer was yes to both, then illegal contact would not have been called.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:40 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,542,767 times
Brady will do just fine as long as Belichick is still coaching. If Belichick leaves, then all bets are off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football