Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2022, 02:56 PM

1,988 posts, read 975,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
This sat (christmas eve) game in pittsburgh VS the raiders is gonna be good but freeezing. Both teams wont make the playoffs so its mainly for pride game. Pitts is 6-8 with only 3 games left. One more loss & tomlin will have his first losing season since he became the head coach. This sat will also be the 50th anniversary of the immaculate reception with ceremonies planned. It is sad franco harris died a few days ago. RIP.
Raiders probably going to win. They have a superior offense, especially running game. Will keep Steelers defense on the gridiron and wear them down. Can't rule out Derek Carr, he has played well against them, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 04:37 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,865,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
As a Browns fan, I respect the Steeler history. Three Rivers was a cool name. Heinz Field wasn't bad because we all know who Heinz is and understand corporate sponsorship.

We're the Rooney's that hard up for sponsorship? With Pittsburgh being such an historic team, I'm surprised they couldn't have done better...maybe even for less money. (Acrisure is paying nearly 4x more than Heinz per year, $10 million instead of $2.85M)

Will the average fan even know what Acrisure means? I'll probably just call it Steelers Stadium or something when talking to others.

You can join the protest here: https://www.change.org/p/steelers-stadium-name-change
Solid commentary!!

When Franco joined the Steelers in 1972 how many HOFers were on offense with him? Zero. In his first eight seasons he rushed for 1000 yards in seven of them and the only reason he didn't make it eight was that he missed four games with an injured knee in 1973. AFAIC he was the chief reason for the Steelers to finally be a playoff team in 1972 where they had never knew playoffs in their longtime history of the NFL.

It wasn't until 1974 that John Stallworth and Lynn Swann would be drafted along with Mike Webster. Barry Pearson, Ron Shanklin and Frank Lewis were the starting receivers and were your basic journeyman type. And Bradshaw? Chuck Noll would pull Bradshaw out of the game more than a few times and put in Terry Hanratty and in 1974 "Jefferson Street' Joe Gillam. It wasn't until the halfway point in 1974 that Bradshaw came alive.

There is a thread on Franco Harris in the Pittsburgh sub forum on this message board with some cool stories on him. Harris stayed in the area after retirement, opened a few businesses and was involved in several charities. A quality guy on the field and off the field.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:25 PM

19,531 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
Yeah I totally agree with you. Acrisure Stadium is an absolutely stupid name. I don't even call it that and I grew up in the Pittsburgh area, lol.
I know I’ll slip and call it Heinz or like a previous poster said, Steelers stadium.

Acrisure? Sounds like something to do with the weather? About as dumb as BB& T using name Truist.

Old 12-23-2022, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Solid commentary!!

When Franco joined the Steelers in 1972 how many HOFers were on offense with him? Zero. In his first eight seasons he rushed for 1000 yards in seven of them and the only reason he didn't make it eight was that he missed four games with an injured knee in 1973. AFAIC he was the chief reason for the Steelers to finally be a playoff team in 1972 where they had never knew playoffs in their longtime history of the NFL.

It wasn't until 1974 that John Stallworth and Lynn Swann would be drafted along with Mike Webster. Barry Pearson, Ron Shanklin and Frank Lewis were the starting receivers and were your basic journeyman type. And Bradshaw? Chuck Noll would pull Bradshaw out of the game more than a few times and put in Terry Hanratty and in 1974 "Jefferson Street' Joe Gillam. It wasn't until the halfway point in 1974 that Bradshaw came alive.

There is a thread on Franco Harris in the Pittsburgh sub forum on this message board with some cool stories on him. Harris stayed in the area after retirement, opened a few businesses and was involved in several charities. A quality guy on the field and off the field.
Franco is still the Steelers' all-time leading rusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I know I’ll slip and call it Heinz or like a previous poster said, Steelers stadium.

Acrisure? Sounds like something to do with the weather? About as dumb as BB& T using name Truist.
I agree. They are better off using a generic name.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:09 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Very sad considering the timing of everything going on this weekend.
Yes, definitely so.

RIP, Franco.

I'm a second half of the boom baby boomer, and a lifetime Raiders and 49ers fan.

No NFL play in my lifetime (which I saw on TV as it happened) has upset me more than the Immaculate Reception (although 'the tuck rule play' - Raiders vs. Pats is in a similar ballpark), but of course how I felt about that play has nothing to do with the quality of the man. I smiled whenever I heard Franco being interviewed.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yes, definitely so.

RIP, Franco.

I'm a second half of the boom baby boomer, and a lifetime Raiders and 49ers fan.

No NFL play in my lifetime (which I saw on TV as it happened) has upset me more than the Immaculate Reception (although 'the tuck rule play' - Raiders vs. Pats is in a similar ballpark), but of course how I felt about that play has nothing to do with the quality of the man. I smiled whenever I heard Franco being interviewed.
Franco and Phil Villapiano are the best of friends.

Old 01-10-2023, 03:44 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,030,232 times
I believe next season is going to be exciting for the steelers.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
They've got the third place schedule so it should not be as difficult as this past season.

Old 04-03-2023, 08:53 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Thought I'd share a photo I took a couple of weeks ago.. Might bring back some memories for folks here.. And.. Honestly.. Might be a bit surprising to some.

Took that when I was out doing my cemetery walks. His findagrave memorial page is here.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...k-a-deloplaine

A bit before my time.. I wasn't old enough to really appreciate football until about '82.

Old 07-30-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The schedule is tricky, but I feel they can win 9-10 games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football