Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2022, 07:18 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times

Advertisements

Growing up in the DC area and lightly following his career, I was and still am in shock. Sad new, and may he RIP. The circumstances of how he he got hit and died (at least what is being reported) are weird and a little puzzling, but I’ll just pay my condolences to him and his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 08:53 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I saw that when I was out for a few hours. I didn't read if he had car trouble or what, but there's no good reason to be crossing an interstate on foot ever, much less in what was probably less than ideal light. Still very sad.

I agree. Unfortunately, being a WFT fan.. The first thing that comes to mind is his lack of maturity and wondering if that played any kind of part in this.

Hew was immensely talented and if he could have gotten his head screwed on a little tighter and focused on football.. I think he could have had a solid career. I think that's what the Steelers were looking towards. the talent was there. It was the maturity that wasn't. Obviously, nowhere NEAR Johnny Football levels of immaturity..

Old 04-10-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I agree. Unfortunately, being a WFT fan.. The first thing that comes to mind is his lack of maturity and wondering if that played any kind of part in this.

Hew was immensely talented and if he could have gotten his head screwed on a little tighter and focused on football.. I think he could have had a solid career. I think that's what the Steelers were looking towards. the talent was there. It was the maturity that wasn't. Obviously, nowhere NEAR Johnny Football levels of immaturity..
I don’t want to speculate too much at this point, but if the reports are true, the first thing that comes to mind is that this would be way beyond his “lack of maturity.” He may have been having some mental health challenges. While he did lack maturity, I can’t see him (or anyone) in their right state of mind trying to cross a busy highway.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...orida/2732756/

It’s too early to tell, but based on the few details, this seems to be more than plain “immaturity.”

Old 04-10-2022, 08:51 AM

3,737 posts, read 2,568,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I can’t see Haskins (or anyone) in their right state of mind trying to cross a busy highway.

It’s too early to tell, but based on the few details, this seems to be more than plain “immaturity.”
I assume there'll be some kinda press conference soon, where local law enforcement will share their information on the case. I've seen random online comments that Haskins was going to get gas, but nothing official yet. Cops would've been able to see how much gas was in the tank, so I assume they'll address that. Their initial statement was that Haskins was on foot for 'unknown reasons', which sounds like they didn't want to officially conjecture yet, or they saw his tank had gas, so his reason for walking was truly unknown.

I think some of the 'ran out of gas' theorizing is people trying to generously assign a rational motive to Haskins' walk. But his actions may have a more unfortunate or reckless explanation, etc (?)

Old 04-10-2022, 10:25 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Totally stunned and saddened. Despite what happened with Washington, still had a whole life ahead of him. RIP.

A terrible, terrible loss.

Old 04-10-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I assume there'll be some kinda press conference soon, where local law enforcement will share their information on the case. I've seen random online comments that Haskins was going to get gas, but nothing official yet. Cops would've been able to see how much gas was in the tank, so I assume they'll address that. Their initial statement was that Haskins was on foot for 'unknown reasons', which sounds like they didn't want to officially conjecture yet, or they saw his tank had gas, so his reason for walking was truly unknown.

I think some of the 'ran out of gas' theorizing is people trying to generously assign a rational motive to Haskins' walk. But his actions may have a more unfortunate or reckless explanation, etc (?)
Totally agree. I think what makes this so puzzling is that this was an Interstate. Trying to cross an interstate on foot is daunting even if it is completely empty because how how long the cross is, and the fact that at any moment a car could come speeding by. To cross it when there are cars actively passing by is even more puzzling and truly is risking your life. As you said, I’m sure at the appropriate time more information will come out.

Old 04-10-2022, 04:46 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I don’t want to speculate too much at this point, but if the reports are true, the first thing that comes to mind is that this would be way beyond his “lack of maturity.” He may have been having some mental health challenges. While he did lack maturity, I can’t see him (or anyone) in their right state of mind trying to cross a busy highway.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...orida/2732756/

Possible. There's so many possibilities you just don't know. The mental break.. Ok.. I'm not saying 'no' to it, but there's been no evidence of that coming.. I mean prior episodes. Of course this could have been the first.. But..

We've had evidence of the lack of maturity. So.. That's just a consideration that I first thought of.

At the end of the day, you can say "Who cares? He's dead".. But, I don't like that answer because it certainly DOES matter. There's also the slim chance of CTE coming into play here and if that's the case.. That needs to be understood.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:38 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,457,534 times
I am born and raised in Miami and have traveled that road thousands of times. The only way to get up there is by an on or off ramp. He obviously was not in the correct state of mind here whether it's drugs or mental break.

It is a major road where thousands of cars pass on it at 70-80mph. There was no reason for him to be on there at 6:30am.

The only good thing about this is he went quick.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:54 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
Browns fan here - heard the news about Haskins since I live in south Florida.

Wanted to extend my sympathies for his fans and teammates (and of course, family and friends).

I'm not sure what reason there was for him to be on 595, but that doesn't make this any less tragic.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:36 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
there is so little know about this case publicly so far. The police may know, but they're not telling much. I'm not even sure there was a car found nearby. An article I read a day or two ago reported that a passerby saw him prior to his death and he seems to be acting strangely trying to get onto the roadway on foot. The driver called it "disturbing." As far as suicide, that was something I was wondering. The fact that he seemed happy and upbeat means nothing. A lot of people mask their depression from even those closest to them. I am interested in finding out what happened, but I am not sure we ever will

This is a different article than the one I mentioned. I'll keep looking for that one. The witness did not recall a car nearby. Another article states that the interstate is eight lanes in that location, four each way. Not a good place to try to cross at all

Quote:
A Florida man told an NBC affiliate that he thinks he saw Haskins moments before his death.

“He was about halfway, to a quarter way in the right lane already onto the highway and I was already concerned that somebody was going to strike him right there at that moment,” Chris Stanley said.

Stanley says he was so concerned that he dialed 911 — the call log shown to the outlet is time-stamped just six minutes before the crash was reported to FHP.
NEW DETAILS Dwayne Haskins cause of death news – Witness saw ‘Steelers star 6 minutes before crash on highway with arms in air’

Apparently we'll know more... eventually.

Quote:
FHP Lt. Indiana Miranda said no additional information about the incident will be released until the investigation is complete, and that a 90-day time frame is standard for the scope of the investigation, which involves evidence collection, interviews and transcribing.

She noted that investigators work multiple cases simultaneously, which adds to the time needed to conclude in investigation.

A spokesperson from the Broward County medical examiner's office said Tuesday that the office is waiting a toxicology report as part of a separate investigation into the cause of death.
Dwayne Haskins death: Florida Highway Patrol probe could take months

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 04-14-2022 at 12:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football