Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,483,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Yeah, I do. He was very average. Do you honestly think he's a good offensive coordinator? He doesn't suck as bad as Haslett but he's right up there...
Hhhmmm....Kyle Shanahan was the offensive coordinator in Houston for two seasons. These were the first two seasons of his young career as offensive coordinator in the NFL. What in the world would you have expected this early in his career? And with that said, his name was still mentioned among other coordinators as a possible head coaching candidate before he came to Washington (and he still is considered a possible head coaching candidate.) For an offensive coordinator with that little experience in that position to be considered a possible choice as a head coach somewhere, I would say that's pretty good.

Secondly, moving the football has never been a problem since Kyle has been in Washington. Scoring was an issue the first two seasons - but let's see....when you have Donovan McFlabb, Rex Grossman, or John Beck as your starting quarterback, what the heck do you expect there? The job Kyle did last year was amazing - #7 in passing, #1 in rushing, #4 in scoring....and yes, the numbers have went down this year, but let's see...a second year quarterback coming back from major knee surgery. Again, what do you expect? Kyle has done a good job with the Redskins. As matter of fact, I would not be surprised if he is not considered for the head coaching vacancy in Houston (as of today.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 11:28 AM

8,637 posts, read 9,154,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
he sure is. and that's the problem with our defense. Jim Hasslet uses our players in the wrong ways, instead of playing to their strengths.
My understanding is Hasslet has no issue with the 4-3. Shanahan does. It is he who is obsessed with the 3-4. Under Greg Williams the Skins had a good defense for several seasons. The very first year Hasslet took over with his 3-4 they stunk and really have stank ever since. Change coaches perhaps? Does not matter when it pertains to one of the worst run franchises in the NFL.

Hail.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:28 AM

16,318 posts, read 10,450,389 times
Great post SkinsGuy. I really get sick of fans overreacting to what they have seen last. I'm pretty sure the folks claiming Kyle was never any good weren't saying this last year this time.

As for the 3-4 I'm also sick of hearing about this great Redskins defense of the past. Rankings are not the way you evaluate a defense. Turnovers are a huge part of football, it is the one stat that will tell the story of the final score more than any other. The Saints defense was ranked very low in yards allowed a few years ago. Yet it was a big part of their Super Bowl title because they forced turnovers and changed games, including sealing the deal with a pick 6 in the Super Bowl. You have to give your offense a short field regularly to be considered an effective defense and for years the Redskins flat didn't do it. That is why the change was made. The problem is a lack of talent and an average, at best, defensive coordinator. The problem is not the decision to switch to the 3-4.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 12-07-2013 at 03:38 AM..

Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,068,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Great post SkinsGuy. I really get sick of fans overreacting to what they have seen last..
The feeling is mutual! The right hook response to your jab is that I am sick of fans like you and Skinsguy who are what I call the stereotypical 'Skins fans... Always know everything, always have to put others' opinions down and always act like you are "better" fans because you have the illusion that you know more or have been a 'Skins fan longer. The condescending posts always get me. How about you get off your high horse and just accept that not everyone shares your opinion and that doesn't mean that your opinion is the holy truth. Agree to disagree perhaps?

You ain't talkin to a 20 something year old who doesn't know the past, doesn't know football or the typical fan who expects a Super Bowl every year. I have followed the 'Skins since the RFK days in the 80s when I lived there as a teen... And for the record, I never liked Kyle's offense last year either regardless of the success. It exposed the QB too much which eventually lead to him getting hurt. I never felt like Griffin was the 2nd coming of Vick, I felt like he was always a very good QB in the pocket passing the ball as well as his ability to run. I felt like they ran him too much. Now it is fair that they don't really have very good WRs.

Another thing I thought last year was that I felt like they gave up too much to get Griffin, I never understood that especially when they took Cousins a couple of rounds later who was projected to be a good QB... If you gave up so much to get the guy, why would you constantly expose him to big hits in your play calling risking a serious injury? I would have been happy if they had kept their pick and not traded with the Rams and had just built around Cousins or whatever other QB. They now have a team with a very average roster and no high draft picks to build the team with.

I'm not trying to start a fight or be rude... So I'll get off my soap box. But when you and your boy insult folks, don't expect anything less in response.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:22 AM

16,318 posts, read 10,450,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
The feeling is mutual! The right hook response to your jab is that I am sick of fans like you and Skinsguy who are what I call the stereotypical 'Skins fans... Always know everything, always have to put others' opinions down and always act like you are "better" fans because you have the illusion that you know more or have been a 'Skins fan longer. The condescending posts always get me. How about you get off your high horse and just accept that not everyone shares your opinion and that doesn't mean that your opinion is the holy truth. Agree to disagree perhaps?

You ain't talkin to a 20 something year old who doesn't know the past, doesn't know football or the typical fan who expects a Super Bowl every year. I have followed the 'Skins since the RFK days in the 80s when I lived there as a teen... And for the record, I never liked Kyle's offense last year either regardless of the success. It exposed the QB too much which eventually lead to him getting hurt. I never felt like Griffin was the 2nd coming of Vick, I felt like he was always a very good QB in the pocket passing the ball as well as his ability to run. I felt like they ran him too much. Now it is fair that they don't really have very good WRs.

Another thing I thought last year was that I felt like they gave up too much to get Griffin, I never understood that especially when they took Cousins a couple of rounds later who was projected to be a good QB... If you gave up so much to get the guy, why would you constantly expose him to big hits in your play calling risking a serious injury? I would have been happy if they had kept their pick and not traded with the Rams and had just built around Cousins or whatever other QB. They now have a team with a very average roster and no high draft picks to build the team with.

I'm not trying to start a fight or be rude... So I'll get off my soap box. But when you and your boy insult folks, don't expect anything less in response.
Calm down son, my post was hardly enough for you to get this worked up about. But when you post things like Kyle wouldn't have a job as OC without his daddy, when he held that position in the past and was successful, you kind of leave yourself open to criticism. Didn't realize your skin was so thin, I'll try to keep that in mind.

First off my comment was not primarily directed at you, it was directed at the broad base of Redskins fans who have been claiming for months that Kyle is a crappy OC when the facts simply do not support this position. He has been very successful in the past with marginal talent, including just last year. He did not get stupid overnight. The team's execution, particularly but not limited to the QB, is simply not up to last year's production. And he has a lot of holes to overcome. When you are starting Polumbus, Chester, Montgomery, this cast of iron fisted WRs and a QB who is simply not playing well there is only so much an OC can do. We would all love to see Robert develop into a pocket passer. But do you really expect Kyle to start calling 7 step drops when this OL can not protect for a 5? Griff is taking most of his big shots while standing in a collapsing pocket waiting for receivers to get open. However if he plays like he did against Dallas last Thanksgiving suddenly Kyle's smart again. That is what I meant by fans reacting to what they've seen last.

Regarding Cousins I will respectfully disagree. The NFL is about great QB play, that should be obvious by now. And the fact is guys like Kirk Cousins rarely become great QBs. Qbs who elevate to "pretty good" or "game managers" rarely are seen contending year after year. No the teams in it regularly have QBs named Brady and Rothlisberger, not Stafford or Schaub of 4 years ago. And let's be honest, Cousins' ceiling is probably at that level, maybe a top 15 QB.

So the Redskins finally had a chance to grab a guy with this potential. I for one am thrilled that they rolled the dice. I don't care how many picks the Rams have. With the Incredibly Average Sam Bradford IMO they will never be consistent contenders. Just ask a Chiefs fan who saw his playoff hopes dashed year after year because they thought they could load up everywhere else and win by trotting out guys like Matt Cassell or Elvis Grbac. No in the end the teams left standing for the most part had the top QBs.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 12-07-2013 at 07:39 AM..

Old 12-08-2013, 10:20 AM

Report: Shanahan was ready to leave Redskins in January | ProFootballTalk

Oh boy!!

Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 AM

18,238 posts, read 25,897,364 times
Very interesting article Greensboro! Thanks for the link!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:21 PM

8,637 posts, read 9,154,764 times
And its because of Snyder this franchise is what it is, a poorly run franchise, thanks to the owner. I've said it for years this guy is the reason for its demise. Boycott the SOB in order to save the franchise, sounds crazy but it the only way. Before Shanahan revenue was falling like a rock, and that is when this horrible owner brought on board a general manager and Shanahan, and still has managed to F it up.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
And its because of Snyder this franchise is what it is, a poorly run franchise, thanks to the owner. I've said it for years this guy is the reason for its demise. Boycott the SOB in order to save the franchise, sounds crazy but it the only way. Before Shanahan revenue was falling like a rock, and that is when this horrible owner brought on board a general manager and Shanahan, and still has managed to F it up.
Totally agree! He's a horrible owner and is the main reason for the Redskins getting the nickname "Raiders East".

With that said... I think there's a very good chance that Shanny will get fired after today's game! They are losing 38-10 at home at the half, the owner is an idiot, Shanny only has one more year left on his contract and this report just came out.. .Perfect conditions for Danny Boy to strike again!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:43 PM

Storm brewing in D.C. (beyond the weather) | ProFootballTalk

With an ugly home loss taking place at this very moment.. This seems highly likely!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football