Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2018, 04:11 AM

16,288 posts, read 10,434,651 times

Advertisements

Oh I totally agree that few QBs would have had a chance against that defense with that crap OL. But at this point Kirk's history of showing up small in the biggest moments is just too large to ignore. I still would prefer him on our team over the absolute crap we will be saddled with moving forward, and Smith was nothing more than Mark Brunell 2.0. But I'm pretty sure the Vikes are having second thoughts too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 07:55 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,693,876 times
More bad news, as Derrius Guice's ACL surgery and rehab hasn't gone as expected. Based on reports, he's had to have 3 additional surgeries since his ACL repair due to infection in the wound:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-injured-knee/

Old 12-13-2018, 11:10 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Ok.. Mason Foster comments are the last straw.

Look, I don't blame him for what he said.. He does need to be a little more careful apparently with who he says things to. It does reflect badly on him, and it's bad that this got out.

But.. He's right. All the way around, he's right. Other than perhaps saying (in a way) that he's not part of the problem. He isn't playing great himself, so.. A bit of glass houses there. But, I certainly cannot blame him for being frustrated or for his attitude towards the situation.

Top to bottom.. Need to clean the house up. Need to get rid of the owner, too, but don't think that's an option here.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:05 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,477,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
More bad news, as Derrius Guice's ACL surgery and rehab hasn't gone as expected. Based on reports, he's had to have 3 additional surgeries since his ACL repair due to infection in the wound:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-injured-knee/
"Guice said the complications are now behind him and his recovery is back on the correct path. However, it’s uncertain exactly when he will be fully healed and able to retake the field."

He's back in the gym working out. I expect the Redskins to work him back in slowly, especially if they still have AP.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh I totally agree that few QBs would have had a chance against that defense with that crap OL. But at this point Kirk's history of showing up small in the biggest moments is just too large to ignore. I still would prefer him on our team over the absolute crap we will be saddled with moving forward, and Smith was nothing more than Mark Brunell 2.0. But I'm pretty sure the Vikes are having second thoughts too.
I'm not a Kirk hater at all. I'd rather he'd be the one wearing #8 for us instead of Josh Johnson, but until Cousins is able to take that next step, there's always going to be questions. Back around the time that Mark Brunell was our QB, there were fans who took the notion that they would rather see exciting losses, in which the quarterback was playing great, putting up points, and entertaining the fans, rather than an anemic offense that was barely sputtering out points and having to rely on a great defense to win games.

I always took the notion that I'd rather see wins than losses, even if the wins are ugly. I still feel that way. I do love being entertained by super charged offenses who can put up 30+ points, but I still feel empty if by the end of the game, the score is 45 - 38, with the other team having 45 points.

So, that all being said, I'm not even sure if Cousins was in the line up at this point if it fixes the issues we're having on defense. Quite frankly, the defense has unraveled, and there's no reason for it. Now, we have Mason Foster running his mouth - which if you remember, he had a few choice things to say last year, but it got squashed quickly and was easily forgotten. This time, it's pretty adamant he's done with this team. Zach Brown is another. Honestly, those guys have shown some strengths, but have also shown some weaknesses as well.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:58 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Cool, got the win today, 7-7 and very much in the hunt for a wild card slot. Hail, Fight On, Fight On !
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Cool, got the win today, 7-7 and very much in the hunt for a wild card slot. Hail, Fight On, Fight On !
Ugly win, but I'll take it. If they win any more games this season, I'm afraid they'll all be ugly wins. But, a day in which the Redskins win ugly and the Cowboys get shutout is a great day to me.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:49 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Ugly win, but I'll take it. If they win any more games this season, I'm afraid they'll all be ugly wins. But, a day in which the Redskins win ugly and the Cowboys get shutout is a great day to me.

Josh Johnson doesn't look horrible out there. I know this sounds like a backhanded compliment, and it sort of is, I guess.. Pending on what shakes out with McCoy and Smith.. I wouldn't be totally averse to him being signed as the backup next year. Honestly.. If Smith is out.. The next 2 years are going to be ugly. $20M in salary cap to him.

I didn't realize that Morgan Moses is the most penalized player in the NFL this year. Though, certainly makes sense. He's been the only OL player in the past 3 years to remain healthy.

As for playoffs.. Cue Jim Mora.. "Playoffs?!"

This is the kind of situation that the Redskins seem to make the playoffs in.. Go on a tear.. But.. I don't see it. They're still not playing well.. They struggled against a poor team today. Their next two games will be against teams that need to win to make the playoffs as well..

Vikings play the Lions and Bears to finish the year, and Bears are most likely not playing for anything in week 17. They won't be able to get a bye (barring a miracle) and Lions are.. The Lions. Vikings FINALLY ran the ball and.. That's where you see Kirk shine.

Seattle is likely to finish 9-7 as I expect them to lose to the Chiefs, but.. That should be a good game and that's not a gimme, especially since it's in Seattle.

Redskins have the Titans and Eagles. I suspect he Eagles will lose tonight which will eliminate them. But both those games will be tough to win if the offense fails to put 20 on the board.

That's the wildcard scenarios.. The division isn't done yet.. But, Dallas would have to lose out as they have the tiebreaker based on division record. And they've got the Bucs and Giants. They'll win one of those.

But.. If they SOMEHOW manage to sneak into the playoffs as the wildcard.. They're playing the Bears in Chicago. Don't see that ending well.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Josh Johnson doesn't look horrible out there. I know this sounds like a backhanded compliment, and it sort of is, I guess.. Pending on what shakes out with McCoy and Smith.. I wouldn't be totally averse to him being signed as the backup next year. Honestly.. If Smith is out.. The next 2 years are going to be ugly. $20M in salary cap to him.

I didn't realize that Morgan Moses is the most penalized player in the NFL this year. Though, certainly makes sense. He's been the only OL player in the past 3 years to remain healthy.

As for playoffs.. Cue Jim Mora.. "Playoffs?!"

This is the kind of situation that the Redskins seem to make the playoffs in.. Go on a tear.. But.. I don't see it. They're still not playing well.. They struggled against a poor team today. Their next two games will be against teams that need to win to make the playoffs as well..

Vikings play the Lions and Bears to finish the year, and Bears are most likely not playing for anything in week 17. They won't be able to get a bye (barring a miracle) and Lions are.. The Lions. Vikings FINALLY ran the ball and.. That's where you see Kirk shine.

Seattle is likely to finish 9-7 as I expect them to lose to the Chiefs, but.. That should be a good game and that's not a gimme, especially since it's in Seattle.

Redskins have the Titans and Eagles. I suspect he Eagles will lose tonight which will eliminate them. But both those games will be tough to win if the offense fails to put 20 on the board.

That's the wildcard scenarios.. The division isn't done yet.. But, Dallas would have to lose out as they have the tiebreaker based on division record. And they've got the Bucs and Giants. They'll win one of those.

But.. If they SOMEHOW manage to sneak into the playoffs as the wildcard.. They're playing the Bears in Chicago. Don't see that ending well.
Rest assured if the Redskins make the playoffs, they are one and done. I still believe we need to jettison both Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden. I will have to say, if Jay can lead this team into the playoffs, with all the injuries this team has had, with the internal turmoil we've heard leaked to the press, and just the lackluster performance the offense has put up and the defense not being consistent, I will be very impressed. Maybe Gruden does deserve one more year, but honestly, I don't see it happening. I think retaining Gruden if the 'skins miss the playoffs would be a huge mistake.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:45 AM

5,841 posts, read 5,645,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Rest assured if the Redskins make the playoffs, they are one and done. I still believe we need to jettison both Bruce Allen and Jay Gruden. I will have to say, if Jay can lead this team into the playoffs, with all the injuries this team has had, with the internal turmoil we've heard leaked to the press, and just the lackluster performance the offense has put up and the defense not being consistent, I will be very impressed. Maybe Gruden does deserve one more year, but honestly, I don't see it happening. I think retaining Gruden if the 'skins miss the playoffs would be a huge mistake.
My problem with firing Gruden is I think he's been dealt a bad hand, having poor management and ownership above him that has compromised his talents. He will be coveted if fired. Given the organizational dysfunction, what qualified coach do you think wants to come here? What young inexperienced guy would you want to throw into dysfunction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football