Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 02:11 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry to read the news of JD, I was unaware. Wasn't he the kid Joe referenced when he quit saying he wanted to do things like watch his son play?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'm so sorry to read the news of JD, I was unaware. Wasn't he the kid Joe referenced when he quit saying he wanted to do things like watch his son play?

Probably Coy at that point. JD graduated from William and Mary in 1991, I believe it was.

Coy is my age. 45. He was playing at Stanford around the time Joe retired.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:06 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Default Kyler?

Galdi this AM was talking about drafting Kyler Murray.

Maybe he was just trying to fill air time.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:47 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think I can tell you pretty straight.. His faith carries him. There's nothing more to say than that.

I have 'met' him several times. Never more than a 30 second conversation or something like that. Just asking him for an autograph or similar. I have several, the best of which was a personalized autograph on a copy of his book.

But.. He's a genuine guy. Faith is first, family second.. He will listen to everyone and it's not uncommon for him to pray with people he's meeting.

I think I've told this story before, but back in '84 to '87 or so, when I was playing little league in NoVA.. Coy was playing at the same time (Different team) and we always looked around as to whether this weekend would be the one where Joe would show up to watch his son play baseball... He never did. I mean, remember this is June/July right when training camp would start.
Yeah, and I'm sure that must've really ate Joe up. One reason why he stepped down after the '92 season. I remember him saying he wanted to go to his boy's football games and spend more time with the family. Being an NFL coach - especially a successful one - takes a lot of time away from the family.

If Joe ever does any more autograph signings, I want to make sure I get to one. I know he's getting up there in age, and you wonder how many more opportunities you'll have. He seems to be healthy, but going through loss in the family can take a toll on health.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Joe Gibbs is almost a throwback to another era. He is the archetype "Good Man." He seems to walk the walk when it comes to his faith and truly is in touch with his moral compass. We are lucky that he is forever a Redskin.

I hope he finds the strength to rise above this tragic loss.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Joe Gibbs is almost a throwback to another era. He is the archetype "Good Man." He seems to walk the walk when it comes to his faith and truly is in touch with his moral compass. We are lucky that he is forever a Redskin.

I hope he finds the strength to rise above this tragic loss.
I think that's what attracted me to the Redskins - honestly! It was Joe Gibbs being a good, Godly, man who was always in touch with his moral compass. Made me feel I made the right choice in making the Redskins my favorite team. Even though Tom Landry was actually a very similar man to Joe Gibbs. Both led their lives by faith. But, I can't stand the Cowboys LOL!

Anyway, I'm hearing reports that the Redskins are in talks with bringing Gregg Williams back as DC. Funny thing is, they haven't fired Manusky yet. I have no idea what this organization is doing. Run by a bunch of idiots.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:53 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think that's what attracted me to the Redskins - honestly! It was Joe Gibbs being a good, Godly, man who was always in touch with his moral compass. Made me feel I made the right choice in making the Redskins my favorite team. Even though Tom Landry was actually a very similar man to Joe Gibbs. Both led their lives by faith. But, I can't stand the Cowboys LOL!

Anyway, I'm hearing reports that the Redskins are in talks with bringing Gregg Williams back as DC. Funny thing is, they haven't fired Manusky yet. I have no idea what this organization is doing. Run by a bunch of idiots.
I think Snyder is paralyzed. He literally has no idea what to do anymore beyond act like a deer in the headlights. Too arrogant to look at 20 years of mostly failure and learn something.

Maybe he wants to be the new Al Davis and always march to the beat of a different drummer. The thing is Davis won Super Bowls and created a brand.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:23 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
If you guys get a little time, read up a tad on some of the stories of Joe Gibbs with Don Coryell. One is a great read with the L.A. Times and says "One of the first things Coryell did when hired as head coach at San Diego State was to hire Joe Gibbs. And one of the first things Coryell did when he was hired as head coach of the San Diego Chargers was to hire Joe Gibbs."

There are coaches out there with more super bowl victories, a couple that come to mind are Chuck Noll and Bill Belichick. But Joe Gibbs won his three super bowls in eleven years with three different quarterbacks; Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien. I remember reading the Rocky Mountain News a month or so after the 1980 season had ended and a reporter asked Bronco defensive coordinator Joe Collier what he thought of Joe Gibbs going to the Redskins and Collier said, "he'll take them to the top in a few years. And he'll have them in the mix for as long as he coaches the Redskins."

I remember his first season with D.C. and it was pretty rough, starting out at 1-6. Then going 7-2 to finish with a .500 record. I put Gibbs in the top 5 list of great coaches for a reason that hardly gets discussion on this forum. It's not easy trying to get production, good production, out of players when the season is disrupted because of player strikes. In 1982 you have two months of the season wiped out. In 1987 you have one game cancelled and three games where replacement players were out on the field. Gibbs stays focused through all this mess, winning two super bowls when all that stuff finally was sorted out.

How does all this stuff affect other NFL clubs? Well, think about San Francisco. In the 1981 season, they won SB-XVI, beating Cincinnati 26-21. In 1982, they went 3-6. In that same season, Seattle Seahawk Coach Jack Patera had a meltdown in the 1982 season, cutting players rep Sam McCullum and creating a huge rift on the club. He was let go and Chuck Knox replaced him and had a very successful run with the club for nearly a decade. After winning SB-XXI, the NY Giants 1987 season went completely sideways, going 6-9 that season.

Winning three super bowls in eleven years with three different quarterbacks tells me a lot about how Gibbs can adapt to the different strengths and weaknesses with the most important position on the club. It's kind of sad that his second stint didn't work out as well as his first, but Gibbs remains, IMO opinion anyway, as one of top five coaches in the past 50 years of the NFL. His record shows it. He is class-on and off the field.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
If you guys get a little time, read up a tad on some of the stories of Joe Gibbs with Don Coryell. One is a great read with the L.A. Times and says "One of the first things Coryell did when hired as head coach at San Diego State was to hire Joe Gibbs. And one of the first things Coryell did when he was hired as head coach of the San Diego Chargers was to hire Joe Gibbs."

There are coaches out there with more super bowl victories, a couple that come to mind are Chuck Noll and Bill Belichick. But Joe Gibbs won his three super bowls in eleven years with three different quarterbacks; Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, and Mark Rypien. I remember reading the Rocky Mountain News a month or so after the 1980 season had ended and a reporter asked Bronco defensive coordinator Joe Collier what he thought of Joe Gibbs going to the Redskins and Collier said, "he'll take them to the top in a few years. And he'll have them in the mix for as long as he coaches the Redskins."

I remember his first season with D.C. and it was pretty rough, starting out at 1-6. Then going 7-2 to finish with a .500 record. I put Gibbs in the top 5 list of great coaches for a reason that hardly gets discussion on this forum. It's not easy trying to get production, good production, out of players when the season is disrupted because of player strikes. In 1982 you have two months of the season wiped out. In 1987 you have one game cancelled and three games where replacement players were out on the field. Gibbs stays focused through all this mess, winning two super bowls when all that stuff finally was sorted out.

How does all this stuff affect other NFL clubs? Well, think about San Francisco. In the 1981 season, they won SB-XVI, beating Cincinnati 26-21. In 1982, they went 3-6. In that same season, Seattle Seahawk Coach Jack Patera had a meltdown in the 1982 season, cutting players rep Sam McCullum and creating a huge rift on the club. He was let go and Chuck Knox replaced him and had a very successful run with the club for nearly a decade. After winning SB-XXI, the NY Giants 1987 season went completely sideways, going 6-9 that season.

Winning three super bowls in eleven years with three different quarterbacks tells me a lot about how Gibbs can adapt to the different strengths and weaknesses with the most important position on the club. It's kind of sad that his second stint didn't work out as well as his first, but Gibbs remains, IMO opinion anyway, as one of top five coaches in the past 50 years of the NFL. His record shows it. He is class-on and off the field.

Even though Gibbs' second stint wasn't as successful (or as long), you have to consider that it was pretty impressive for any coach to get the Redskins into the playoffs twice and have one win in the post season, with a Dan Snyder owned team and a Vinny Cerrato as the VP of football operations. They didn't give coach Gibbs that most talented roster, but he got the best out of them. Honestly, had Taylor not gotten murdered, I bet Gibbs would have came back for that fifth season, and who knows, maybe there would have been an extra win or two in there. People usually will look at the number of Super Bowl victories as a measuring stick of how successful a coach is. Winning the Super Bowl is most certainly a factor, but But given the coaches who always seem to be rated above Joe Gibbs, every one of them had a franchise quarterback. Joe Theismann was probably the most "franchise" of the quarterbacks Gibbs had, and there are some long time Redskins fans who wouldn't consider JT to have ever been a franchise player.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:20 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I remember that first year, Theisman threw a pick 6 to put away the game that took them to 0-5. It was bad times for sure, there was no indication at the time of what was to come. That's what made '82 so special for us long time fans, we didn't expect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football