Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 06:15 AM

16,270 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

If only Darwin James was not still on the board I would be ecstatic at this pick. I also can't help wondering if we didn't turn down the Saints offer. But after watching Stephen Bowen and Ziggy Hood level players getting run out on nearly every play I can't say I'm not happy. I thought all along it was going to be Vea, especially when Miami passed on him. But I went in last night being happy with either Vea or Payne, maybe preferring Payne at the end. So I'm cool.

For the 2nd round pick ideally it will be Will Hernandez or Guice but I doubt either will be available at 44.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 10:45 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If only Darwin James was not still on the board I would be ecstatic at this pick. I also can't help wondering if we didn't turn down the Saints offer. But after watching Stephen Bowen and Ziggy Hood level players getting run out on nearly every play I can't say I'm not happy. I thought all along it was going to be Vea, especially when Miami passed on him. But I went in last night being happy with either Vea or Payne, maybe preferring Payne at the end. So I'm cool.

For the 2nd round pick ideally it will be Will Hernandez or Guice but I doubt either will be available at 44.
And of course, we got the Guice! I'm very pleased with draft. Can't really, truthfully, grade it until we've seen these guys play a couple of seasons, but I'm fine with the Payne pick. The Redskins are going to be faced with Zeke Elliot, Barkley, and the Eagles' running attack. The Redskins needed to secure the defensive line, and Payne should be a starter from day one. I was a little upset the 'skins didn't go Darwin James - while not close to Sean Taylor, he would have been a good one! But, I think you have to secure the trenches, and I'm fine with Payne. I'm excited about Darrius Guice. Between him and Thompson, the Redskins are going to have a killer running attack. It was exactly what Alex Smith needs. Overall, I think the Redskins had an outstanding draft. I can't complain. Now, the question is, who gets the credit? Doug Williams or Bruce Allen?

Speaking of Bruce Allen, there are reports saying that he could possibly be moving on to serve in an executive role with the Raiders, possibly very soon. I am really hoping this is true, although it will be a bit bittersweet. I say that, because I think he was the one responsible for not getting Kirk Cousins re-signed, and thus, letting him go. I think he's the reason why Cousins played hard ball with the Redskins, otherwise, he probably would have gladly stayed with the 'skins. So, Allen leaving doesn't help that situation, but hopefully it will make way for someone else to step in and run the team as it should be. All indications seem to think it will be Doug Williams, but then again, who knows?

Makes too much sense. Suddenly, we hear nothing from Bruce Allen, and Doug Williams is the guy always holding press conferences and interviews. I think this has been coming for a long time now, and it's just a matter of time before we hear about Allen leaving the Redskins (I'm, of course, hopeful!)

Old 04-30-2018, 01:52 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
If I'm not mistaken.. Trey Quinn is the first Washington "Mr Irrelevant" since Matt Elliott?

Old 05-01-2018, 05:09 AM

I do not understand the grades given the Redskins draft, not that they mean anything but still. They filled huge needs, while trading back and recouping the missing 3rd on another need in a young swing OT to develop. Only pick I didn't like was Apke, I hate combine warriors and prefer on the field performance to 40 times.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If I'm not mistaken.. Trey Quinn is the first Washington "Mr Irrelevant" since Matt Elliott?
The first in quite awhile. I had no idea they were picking dead last in the draft. I've seen Quinn's highlights. I'm excited to see what he can do, although that's what highlights are, to highlight all of your best work. There's a reason why he was picked dead last and why the 'skins signed an undrafted WR as well. But hey, then again, some of these guys who slide deep into the draft, or go undrafted, turn out to be diamonds in the rough. I think Chris Cooley was a six round pick.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
I do not understand the grades given the Redskins draft, not that they mean anything but still. They filled huge needs, while trading back and recouping the missing 3rd on another need in a young swing OT to develop. Only pick I didn't like was Apke, I hate combine warriors and prefer on the field performance to 40 times.
Could be worse, could be the grade that the Seahawks got (D-). Right now, I felt the 'skins deserved a solid B, maybe even a B+. Only reason why I wouldn't give them an A is because they didn't address the left guard position, safety (they could have drafted James), and the receivers they did pick up are project/development guys. That being said, you can't address every single need in one draft. I felt the 'skins had a heck of a draft otherwise. And honestly, it looks like the drafts have been of better quality since Doug Williams has been here. Could be a straight up coincidence, but last year's draft could turn out to be a great draft, and this year's draft could, also, turn out to be a great draft. Looking back on the earlier drafts, since 2009, Allen and company have only been able to keep about 7 players, so far, who are either starters are contributing a great deal to the team. So, and average, roughly, about a player per draft. Not very good in my opinion. Looking back on some drafts, they have turned out to be pretty awful drafts.

That being said, it usually takes about three years for a draft to really have a true grade.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:41 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
That being said, it usually takes about three years for a draft to really have a true grade.
37, Good post. I agree, a draft's success needs a couple seasons to be fairly evaluated.. I think what has happened, there's so much media & hype now, and lots of free time & dead air.. that there's an entire culture & industry of premature, speculative draft evaluation. Think I even noticed NFL sells limited type draft day caps & gear (?)(laughter)

It is what it is.. peace.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:10 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Here's my feeling.. Payne is a solid DL pick, however, he's not going to pressure the QB. In all honesty, that's probably not a huge deal as they NEEDED someone to stop the run, which he can do.

Guice.. Ok.. Good player, but there's a reason he was available at #59. The problem with him won't be talent.. It will be attitude and off-field issues. There's rumors that a big story on him is going to drop soon. This was a need.. Is he the right player to fill that need? Hope so.

Christian.. Big body on the OL.. That's never bad.

Apke.. This is probably a wasted pick. I don't think he makes the roster.. Practice squad guy at best. For a year or two and then he's released.

Tim Settle.. Ok.. he went to my high school.. So, he gets a pass.. Stonewall Jackson guy.

Shaun Dion Hamilton.. Washington likes the 'Bama defense, don't they? Coming off a knee injury, so.. Worth a shot in the 6th round, but likely a practice squad guy.

Stroman.. this guy could be a good CB and honestly, I think the main focus here would be putting him in as a PR to get Crowder out of that role. This, to me, might be the biggest sleeper pick.

Quinn.. Well, Mr Irrelevant rarely has a good career.. Think there have been 2 or 3 guys, notably Succop who is still going and Mike Green who didn't have an overly long career, but was solid. He's likely on the practice squad.

I'd put theri draft grade at a B to B- looking at it now. They got players to fill needs. they were probably the best players available at the time, so.. The Guice and Apke picks could send it up to an A+ or down to a C- pending on how they pan out. Guice really concerns me, but he was worth the risk at the point they got him.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:16 AM

Payne is more than a run stopper, he has the ability to push the pocket. One of the biggest problems this team has had is no push up front, well until Allen and Ioannidas last year. We'd see Kerrigan firing off the edge and Romo would simply step up and hit Witten for 18 yards. Payne along with those other 2 will change that. We were damned lucky that Guice fell to us, I'm not concerned about the reasons. A developmental swing OT is a great signing as was Settle. We went from having no NTs for years to potentially 3 if Taylor makes the team. Hamilton was another great pick. If he can stay healthy that's a solid starting ILB in time. Keep shopping at the Alabama store and they'll be just fine.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:22 AM

Back to Sam Huff like others I rarely listen to the radio, I'm home watching the TV broadcast. But one game I was at the beach and they had the Eagles game on instead, so I was forced to listen. It was during the Jason Campbell years so it was not at a point where Sam had totally lost it. But he was amazingly bad, even back then. New Orleans had just scored to tie the game with 2 minutes left and Sam warned against the on-sides kick. Sonny tried to explain to him that it would be stupid to risk handing the ball to the Redskins at mid field in a tie game but Sam still thought it was a possibility.

Dear Lord.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football