Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 12:35 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

LOL! Yep! That's exactly what happened Dave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 03:47 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Which turns out to be horrible for us, because it lowers the compensatory pick that we would have gotten for Grant if the Ravens hadn't done him dirty.

Let's face it. The Ravens saw Crabtree and came up with an excuse not to sign Grant. The Colts sign him quickly, albeit for much much cheaper. Not saying Grant deserved that money, but he got done dirty by Baltimore.

I honestly thought he was a UFA. So, hey.. Bonus that there's any compensation

You never know. Now I doubt this happens, but if Grant has a year for the ages with the Colts.. Then it works out for him, because he's only on a 1 year vs 4 year deal.

I hope he does have a great year. I continue to maintain.. I'm high on the guy. I think he'll be an asset to a team as a #3 receiver or so.

Old 03-24-2018, 04:24 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I was kind of switching over to the Ravens and actually started rooting for them for the first time last year. Just felt that they did things the right way, unlike our team. But that Grant move was so bush league it bothers me

Sorry to be so stupid but how do the comp picks work? Which FAs lost gives you a pick and which ones signed takes away that pick? I read on another board that since so and so was cut if we sign him we don't lose the comp pick for Murphy or whatever. We know Kirk gave us a pick at the end of round 3, how is that determined? I thought it was tied to where the player was drafted but if that's the case Murphy's comp pick would have been higher than Kirk's.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I was kind of switching over to the Ravens and actually started rooting for them for the first time last year. Just felt that they did things the right way, unlike our team. But that Grant move was so bush league it bothers me

Sorry to be so stupid but how do the comp picks work? Which FAs lost gives you a pick and which ones signed takes away that pick? I read on another board that since so and so was cut if we sign him we don't lose the comp pick for Murphy or whatever. We know Kirk gave us a pick at the end of round 3, how is that determined? I thought it was tied to where the player was drafted but if that's the case Murphy's comp pick would have been higher than Kirk's.
I don't exactly understand it fully myself, but I think this is sort of how it goes: We draft a player and develop him, and when we let that player go to free agency and he signs a big contract with someone else, that kind of scores how high of a compensatory pick we get. If he signs a low deal, such as in the case of Grant, we still get a pick, it's just not as high as what it might have been.

And also, I think certain free agents we sign will cancel out getting a pick. I'm not really clear on this part of the process though. All I know is, I think we stand to get about three compensatory picks, maybe more. I think the broad explanation is, if you draft a player and he leaves in free agency, you get a compensatory pick if you can't sign another free agent to replace him. Again, that may be way off.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I don't exactly understand it fully myself, but I think this is sort of how it goes: We draft a player and develop him, and when we let that player go to free agency and he signs a big contract with someone else, that kind of scores how high of a compensatory pick we get. If he signs a low deal, such as in the case of Grant, we still get a pick, it's just not as high as what it might have been.

And also, I think certain free agents we sign will cancel out getting a pick. I'm not really clear on this part of the process though. All I know is, I think we stand to get about three compensatory picks, maybe more. I think the broad explanation is, if you draft a player and he leaves in free agency, you get a compensatory pick if you can't sign another free agent to replace him. Again, that may be way off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ensatory_picks

It sounds like that translates to "You don't need to know".

Old 03-27-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ensatory_picks

It sounds like that translates to "You don't need to know".
It's confusing and I was off on what I thought, lol!

Old 03-27-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
It's confusing and I was off on what I thought, lol!
I think anyone who says "I can explain how it works" we can just call a liar.

That reads like Ikea instructions that were written in Swedish, translated to Chinese, then to Korean and finally to English.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I think anyone who says "I can explain how it works" we can just call a liar.

That reads like Ikea instructions that were written in Swedish, translated to Chinese, then to Korean and finally to English.
Yep. Wikipedia for ya!

This is a better explanation:

"The number of compensatory picks allotted each year is limited to the number of teams in the league (32), per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. However, compensatory picks are not divvied up equally among the teams and no team can receive more than 4 compensatory picks in a single year. To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better compensatory free agents lost than gained in a particular year.

Teams are awarded compensatory draft picks in Rounds 3-7 based upon a formula, which is not release by the league, that takes into account a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards. While there is a general expected level of compensation for a player based upon the amount he has signed for, playing time (or lack thereof), will often alter the expectation by the end of the season.
"

Old 03-28-2018, 01:08 PM

So, I was sort of in the ballpark. We lose more picks than we gained, or lose a better quality pick than we have gained through free agency, we qualify for a pick. We can't get more than 4 picks. I think the 'skins are at or around having 2 compensatory picks, with the one for Cousins coming next year.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:45 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Yep. Wikipedia for ya!

This is a better explanation:

"The number of compensatory picks allotted each year is limited to the number of teams in the league (32), per the Collective Bargaining Agreement. However, compensatory picks are not divvied up equally among the teams and no team can receive more than 4 compensatory picks in a single year. To qualify for compensatory picks, teams must end up with more or better compensatory free agents lost than gained in a particular year.

Teams are awarded compensatory draft picks in Rounds 3-7 based upon a formula, which is not release by the league, that takes into account a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards. While there is a general expected level of compensation for a player based upon the amount he has signed for, playing time (or lack thereof), will often alter the expectation by the end of the season."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football