Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 11:05 AM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Haven't had much time to respond to this, but wanted to since we're talking about Norv Turner. I think both Norv and Jay are pretty much parallels with each other. Just about the same success rate, with the edge going to Turner, because he was a missed field goal away from getting the 'skins into the NFC championship game that one playoff year. Jay has been pretty much a .500 coach since 2014. Both got some passes due to extenuating circumstances. But both, ultimately, probably deserved/or deserves to be fired at some point.

That being said, I would have liked to have seen what Norv could have done with the same exact team that he led to the divisional playoffs a year before. Snyder messed up the culture by bringing in all of those aging stars. It didn't enhance the team, it set it back. That was Dan Snyder's fault, not Norv's. I don't think Norv deserved to be fired mid-season at all.

Norv was allowed ample time to build a team in Washington, however, but how much say did he have over player personnel? How much of that was Charlie Casserly, and how much of that was Norv Turner? Turner inherited a bad Raiders team - we knew that probably wasn't going to end well. He inherited a 14-2 Chargers club that he turned into an 8-8 team. All in all, Turner is not really head coach material. He was a great offensive coordinator - still doing it - but head coach, probably not.

For Jay, I see about the same story. He's had a lot of bad luck, unfortunately. All those injuries, losing Kirk Cousins, losing Alex Smith, losing Colt McCoy. Losing the offensive line two years in a row. But, I believe he's had a pretty heavy hand in the player acquisition market as well, so he's not completely a victim.

All in all, I don't expect the 2019 season to be any better than the previous seasons. I expect it to be about the same - or worse. And, I expect attendance to continue to drop.

Ok.. So.. This is basically what I kept attempting to say, poorly.

My opinion, the issue with Norv was discipline. He is/was far too 'loose' a coach to be a HC. But.. His thoughts on building a team, because I believe he had significant input with Casserly building that team.. Looked pretty good.

As for next year. With Colt.. ASSUMING Colt stays healthy, which is a big reach.. 6 to 8 wins, again. Big question marks on Guice.. Will he come back and be what we expected him to be? I'd probably resign Peterson. Again, two-fold.. I can't think of anyone better to be whispering in Guice's ear, and he proved he's still a hell of a back.

WR.. Someone on ESPN yesterday said "Justyn Ross(Clemson) is better right now than any Redskins receiver".. And they're right. He's better than any of them by far. ALL of Clemson's receivers are better than the Redskins best receiver right now. And I'm including Hunter Renfrow in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 06:39 AM

16,285 posts, read 10,431,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
WR.. Someone on ESPN yesterday said "Justyn Ross(Clemson) is better right now than any Redskins receiver".. And they're right. He's better than any of them by far.
Oh without a doubt. He proved in that Championship Game that he is something special.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Oh without a doubt. He proved in that Championship Game that he is something special.

Yeah, to be fair.. He's better right now than probably 90% of all NFL receivers. OBJ, DeAndre Hopkins, a few others can make a case to be with him or better than him.. But that's a small, small number.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,476,639 times
People on Twitter are talking about that Oklahoma quarterback. I doubt any QBs will be available at #15, but from people are saying, if this guy is available, the Redskins would be stupid to not pick him. Either way, I think the 'skins do pick a QB in the draft, whether in the first or later on. Remember, they also have three compensatory picks headed their way as well. One in the third (Cousins), one in the fifth (murphy), and one in the six (grant.)

People are talking about using the first to trade for a QB - we all know this season is going to suck. I think you stay the course, use your draft picks to continue getting younger. Start with McCoy and see where things go.

The thing I want to know right now is, who is going to be coaching on the defensive side of the ball?

Old 01-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
People on Twitter are talking about that Oklahoma quarterback. I doubt any QBs will be available at #15, but from people are saying, if this guy is available, the Redskins would be stupid to not pick him. Either way, I think the 'skins do pick a QB in the draft, whether in the first or later on. Remember, they also have three compensatory picks headed their way as well. One in the third (Cousins), one in the fifth (murphy), and one in the six (grant.)

People are talking about using the first to trade for a QB - we all know this season is going to suck. I think you stay the course, use your draft picks to continue getting younger. Start with McCoy and see where things go.

The thing I want to know right now is, who is going to be coaching on the defensive side of the ball?

Your hope with that is that you get a decent QB in the draft and get him in under that rookie contract. Because you've blown your wad on Alex Smith. that money is spent. Unless, as I mentioned a while back, some kind of injury settlement could be reached, IF that is even possible.

To me.. I think I'd stick with Colt the next two years until Smith's contract comes off. Then.. Well, honestly, you're probably going to be pretty bad.. So, there's a good shot that you're in competition for the #1 overall and in 2 years.. I think there's very little doubt that will be Trevor Lawrence. You get him.. you have money to resign Guise if he is working out.. You have money to throw at some good receivers. You have money to throw at the defense. End of the day.. You have money.

you draft someone now.. They're on the rookie contract, and you don't have the cash to throw to receivers and other people that you need to build up around a rookie QB.

Kyler Murphy.. There's several problems there, and I'm not saying i'm against it, I just think it doesn't happen. First.. I don't think this guy ever plays in the NFL. He's got a contract with the Oakland A's. Baseball contracts are guaranteed. While he's in the minors, it's a small contract... But he hits the majors.. More money, less wear and tear on his body.

Second, many people are saying he's too small for pro football. They've said that about many people. Some they were right. But.. It all boils down to #1 for me. He's certainly talented enough to play pro baseball.. That money is guaranteed.. I think he plays baseball.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Your hope with that is that you get a decent QB in the draft and get him in under that rookie contract. Because you've blown your wad on Alex Smith. that money is spent. Unless, as I mentioned a while back, some kind of injury settlement could be reached, IF that is even possible.

To me.. I think I'd stick with Colt the next two years until Smith's contract comes off. Then.. Well, honestly, you're probably going to be pretty bad.. So, there's a good shot that you're in competition for the #1 overall and in 2 years.. I think there's very little doubt that will be Trevor Lawrence. You get him.. you have money to resign Guise if he is working out.. You have money to throw at some good receivers. You have money to throw at the defense. End of the day.. You have money.

you draft someone now.. They're on the rookie contract, and you don't have the cash to throw to receivers and other people that you need to build up around a rookie QB.

Kyler Murphy.. There's several problems there, and I'm not saying i'm against it, I just think it doesn't happen. First.. I don't think this guy ever plays in the NFL. He's got a contract with the Oakland A's. Baseball contracts are guaranteed. While he's in the minors, it's a small contract... But he hits the majors.. More money, less wear and tear on his body.

Second, many people are saying he's too small for pro football. They've said that about many people. Some they were right. But.. It all boils down to #1 for me. He's certainly talented enough to play pro baseball.. That money is guaranteed.. I think he plays baseball.
Either way, I hate to say it, but I think we're headed down the same path as what Cleveland was. This team is setting itself up to be really bad. I know that sounds silly, considering we were 6-3 at one point in the season, but this team is headed down the wrong path. I just hope fans continue to not buy tickets to home games, don't buy merch, don't support the team financially. Hit Daniel Snyder where it hurts.

Reports say that he and Bruce are aware of the #FireBruceAllen tags that have been floating around Twitter. They scuffed at it. Bruce is remaining the President and even expanding his role. I don't get it. It's like the team lives in the upside down world.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 PM

Sad news that J.D. Gibbs, Joe's oldest son, passed away yesterday evening at age 49.

Not unexpected. He's been battling some form of CTE for the past 5 years, though of course the family has been quite tight lipped about the specifics.

I think I last saw him in public at Daytona in 2016 or 2017.. They had just announced he was undergoing treatment a year or two before.. And he looked like a shell of a person there. Just a complete vacant look to his eyes.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Sad news that J.D. Gibbs, Joe's oldest son, passed away yesterday evening at age 49.

Not unexpected. He's been battling some form of CTE for the past 5 years, though of course the family has been quite tight lipped about the specifics.

I think I last saw him in public at Daytona in 2016 or 2017.. They had just announced he was undergoing treatment a year or two before.. And he looked like a shell of a person there. Just a complete vacant look to his eyes.
You wonder what's going on in Joe's mind. His wife is not in very good health either. She seems to be a shell of herself. To have a son pass away is a parent's worst nightmare. I could not imagine my son passing away, and a few years ago, that was a real possibility. He was born with heart failure and wound having open heart surgery. He's good now, but It was nothing guaranteed there for awhile.

Gibbs is almost 80. I think he's my dad's age now (78.) One thing on my bucket list is to meet the man that made me a Redskins fan - which is Joe Gibbs. That is actually one of my biggest dreams of my life. I have always wanted to meet Gibbs and have the chance to talk to him and ask him what it takes to be a leader like he seemed to be when he coached the Redskins. I pattern my professional life after Gibbs'. Honestly, as weird as it seems, growing up, He seemed like a second dad to me. He was such a great leader, but yet, never showed his emotions. Yet, when you heard him speak, you knew he was a kind, humble, Christian man who seemed to have a higher purpose than the Washington Redskins. There's not many in this life that I look up to, but Gibbs is one of those guys. I so wished I could comfort the person who probably needs the comfort the most right now!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:24 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,768,175 times
Quote:
You wonder what's going on in Joe's mind. His wife is not in very good health either. She seems to be a shell of herself. To have a son pass away is a parent's worst nightmare. I could not imagine my son passing away, and a few years ago, that was a real possibility. He was born with heart failure and wound having open heart surgery. He's good now, but It was nothing guaranteed there for awhile.

Gibbs is almost 80. I think he's my dad's age now (78.) One thing on my bucket list is to meet the man that made me a Redskins fan - which is Joe Gibbs. That is actually one of my biggest dreams of my life. I have always wanted to meet Gibbs and have the chance to talk to him and ask him what it takes to be a leader like he seemed to be when he coached the Redskins. I pattern my professional life after Gibbs'. Honestly, as weird as it seems, growing up, He seemed like a second dad to me. He was such a great leader, but yet, never showed his emotions. Yet, when you heard him speak, you knew he was a kind, humble, Christian man who seemed to have a higher purpose than the Washington Redskins. There's not many in this life that I look up to, but Gibbs is one of those guys. I so wished I could comfort the person who probably needs the comfort the most right now!
Joe Gibbs is definitely a man who commands respect due to being able to be a success in two separate sports. He also coached the team through IMO the most tragic event the franchise faced, Sean Taylor being murdered. He was able to get the team to a playoff experience after that tragedy, which alone anyone could respect.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:

I think I can tell you pretty straight.. His faith carries him. There's nothing more to say than that.

I have 'met' him several times. Never more than a 30 second conversation or something like that. Just asking him for an autograph or similar. I have several, the best of which was a personalized autograph on a copy of his book.

But.. He's a genuine guy. Faith is first, family second.. He will listen to everyone and it's not uncommon for him to pray with people he's meeting.

I think I've told this story before, but back in '84 to '87 or so, when I was playing little league in NoVA.. Coy was playing at the same time (Different team) and we always looked around as to whether this weekend would be the one where Joe would show up to watch his son play baseball... He never did. I mean, remember this is June/July right when training camp would start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football