Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2019, 11:26 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

It'll probably turn out that the kid from James Madison will be the best player selected. And, that's nothing against Haskins or Sweat.. It's just.. a 40 year fan who is now jaded after the past 25 years.

There's plenty of jaded Redskins fans who are still objective enough to look at the draft and admit the Redskins had an excellent draft. It's not a contest. You're not going to be suddenly out of the running for the grumpiest Redskins fan if you admit that the Redskins drafted well this year. It's OK to carry the #FireBruceAllen matra still. That being said, we all expect a player or two to go down with injury - God forbid but it happens. We expect a couple to probably not pan out. But if five out of the ten do wind up working out, that is still a pretty good draft. It's not hard to see that the Redskins have been drafting better in the last couple of seasons. And, while I hate to admit it, it's not hard to see that Scot McCloughan wasn't the savior of the front office as we thought he was - considering that many of his drafted guys are no longer with the team. I think we are starting to see that Kyle Smith is the next General Manager for the Redskins, and that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 05:03 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
There's plenty of jaded Redskins fans who are still objective enough to look at the draft and admit the Redskins had an excellent draft. It's not a contest. You're not going to be suddenly out of the running for the grumpiest Redskins fan if you admit that the Redskins drafted well this year. It's OK to carry the #FireBruceAllen matra still. That being said, we all expect a player or two to go down with injury - God forbid but it happens. We expect a couple to probably not pan out. But if five out of the ten do wind up working out, that is still a pretty good draft. It's not hard to see that the Redskins have been drafting better in the last couple of seasons. And, while I hate to admit it, it's not hard to see that Scot McCloughan wasn't the savior of the front office as we thought he was - considering that many of his drafted guys are no longer with the team. I think we are starting to see that Kyle Smith is the next General Manager for the Redskins, and that's a good thing.

Time will tell. I believe that the better move, unless they saw something in Haskins that just made them completely fall head over heels for him.. Which.. Not sure how they could see that as he was basically a one year starter in college.. I think it would have been smarter to build up the team, THEN bring in a QB. Well.. "Smarter".. Let's just say that's the way I would have preferred seeing this go.

My thought here.. Put your draft picks this year and next into OL, DB, WR and maybe RB, you'll need someone because AP won't be around too long.. Get those positions settled. That's really going to take 2 years. And you're probably going to suck during those two years. And, i'm fine with an Edge player being taken in there.

Sweat is a gamble. I think it's going to be an OK gamble. What have we complained about the past 3 years? More than anything else? OL. Injuries and bad play from them. What was done to address that in this draft? 4th round guard and 5th round center, who can also play guard.

Fine with them letting Colt or Keenum run the offense those two years... Then you pick up a QB in the 2021 draft.. If you're really lucky, you wind up with Trevor Lawrence. Again, no such thing as a sure thing, but.. He does look good right now. But, the point is, you're bringing in your new QB with a solid team built and have him positioned for success.

What worries me is that we've brought in a new QB with very few players around him.I would have preferred to see them go the opposite way with this.. Build up a team then bring in the QB. Give him the best chance of success out of the gate.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:01 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
I can see both sides of this. Like Labonte I've seen this movie before, we just can't have nice things. But by virtually every account this was a very highly rated draft, but of course the players still need to perform. It all really comes down to Haskins and his development. I don't agree that the method is to build the team and then find a QB. So many QBs picked in the top 5 went to bad teams, obviously as they are picking in the top 5, and turned out good or great. Of course most failed but that's just the crap shoot that is the NFL draft, especially at this position. But going to crap teams didn't hurt Luck, Cam, Peyton or many others. No they instantly made their team better. And this team is far better than those teams, certainly with regard to pass protection.

When you find a QB you like you grab him, so no problem with the Haskins pick. This is why I have reconsidered my position on the Giants' pick. They liked the guy, time will tell, so they didn't screw around and played games they simply grabbed him when they had the chance.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Time will tell. I believe that the better move, unless they saw something in Haskins that just made them completely fall head over heels for him.. Which.. Not sure how they could see that as he was basically a one year starter in college.. I think it would have been smarter to build up the team, THEN bring in a QB. Well.. "Smarter".. Let's just say that's the way I would have preferred seeing this go.

My thought here.. Put your draft picks this year and next into OL, DB, WR and maybe RB, you'll need someone because AP won't be around too long.. Get those positions settled. That's really going to take 2 years. And you're probably going to suck during those two years. And, i'm fine with an Edge player being taken in there.

Sweat is a gamble. I think it's going to be an OK gamble. What have we complained about the past 3 years? More than anything else? OL. Injuries and bad play from them. What was done to address that in this draft? 4th round guard and 5th round center, who can also play guard.

Fine with them letting Colt or Keenum run the offense those two years... Then you pick up a QB in the 2021 draft.. If you're really lucky, you wind up with Trevor Lawrence. Again, no such thing as a sure thing, but.. He does look good right now. But, the point is, you're bringing in your new QB with a solid team built and have him positioned for success.

What worries me is that we've brought in a new QB with very few players around him.I would have preferred to see them go the opposite way with this.. Build up a team then bring in the QB. Give him the best chance of success out of the gate.
You can't fill every need in one draft. But they filled a whole lot of them (potentially) in this draft. Their top QB and by most every account one of the top edge rushers were great picks that represented value at need positions. Then they again addressed needs at WR and along the OL. Nothing wrong what so ever with drafting OL in the 4th and 5th round, I'm betting the vast majority of starting guards and centers were taken at that point in the draft over the years.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You can't fill every need in one draft. But they filled a whole lot of them (potentially) in this draft. Their top QB and by most every account one of the top edge rushers were great picks that represented value at need positions. Then they again addressed needs at WR and along the OL. Nothing wrong what so ever with drafting OL in the 4th and 5th round, I'm betting the vast majority of starting guards and centers were taken at that point in the draft over the years.

And.. That's one area that I can't necessarily argue.. as I mentioned before, the Sweat pick.. Let's say they didn't trade up to get him. They kept their 2nd round pick.. Somewhere around #46 if I remember right.. The two biggest needs.. WR and CB. From a value standpoint, yes, that was a great trade. From a need standpoint.. Not sold on that, but.. It is OK that I think that.

Who were the WRs taken in between there?

N'Keal Harry and Deebo Samuel. If they hadn't traded up, those two would have come off the board. Those two they wouldn't have had a shot at anyway. Who was selected between the 46th and their third round pick? About 6 WRs, none of which I feel are game changers.

Are any of the CB/S between then game changers? That's a little more difficult to answer.

as with anyone.. I hope things turn around and that the picks in this draft pan out.. I'm PREPARED for Haskins to flop, Sweat to have medical issues and the rest of the players getting so ticked off at the team they leave after their rookie contracts or just all-over suck.

I believe I mentioned 4-6 wins was my prediction after last year.. This draft hasn't changed my opinion on that. The only reason I say 6 wins is because we play the Giants twice, and.. You think I'm down on Washington? I really expect the Giants to have a bad year. And that has nothing to do with their draft. Though I do think they could have spent a little higher on WR as well. They do, at least, have a superstar RB. We think we might.

I do wonder a bit, just speaking on the Giants.. How big Dex will do in NYC. He's going to be a great player, I have little question about that. But.. Too many people hit NYC and 'things' get the best of them. I don't particularly foresee that, but.. You never really expect it from most people. Although, could you imagine if Manzeil had gone to NY? Sorry.. Rambling some odd thoughts now.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
And.. That's one area that I can't necessarily argue.. as I mentioned before, the Sweat pick.. Let's say they didn't trade up to get him. They kept their 2nd round pick.. Somewhere around #46 if I remember right.. The two biggest needs.. WR and CB. From a value standpoint, yes, that was a great trade. From a need standpoint.. Not sold on that, but.. It is OK that I think that.

Who were the WRs taken in between there?

N'Keal Harry and Deebo Samuel. If they hadn't traded up, those two would have come off the board. Those two they wouldn't have had a shot at anyway. Who was selected between the 46th and their third round pick? About 6 WRs, none of which I feel are game changers.

Are any of the CB/S between then game changers? That's a little more difficult to answer.

as with anyone.. I hope things turn around and that the picks in this draft pan out.. I'm PREPARED for Haskins to flop, Sweat to have medical issues and the rest of the players getting so ticked off at the team they leave after their rookie contracts or just all-over suck.

I believe I mentioned 4-6 wins was my prediction after last year.. This draft hasn't changed my opinion on that. The only reason I say 6 wins is because we play the Giants twice, and.. You think I'm down on Washington? I really expect the Giants to have a bad year. And that has nothing to do with their draft. Though I do think they could have spent a little higher on WR as well. They do, at least, have a superstar RB. We think we might.

I do wonder a bit, just speaking on the Giants.. How big Dex will do in NYC. He's going to be a great player, I have little question about that. But.. Too many people hit NYC and 'things' get the best of them. I don't particularly foresee that, but.. You never really expect it from most people. Although, could you imagine if Manzeil had gone to NY? Sorry.. Rambling some odd thoughts now.
They had CBs, they had no edge rusher from the other side. You may not like the corners, I've been off Norman since his first year and didn't understand the love as he just wasn't that good. But at least he is a recognized player, they have DRC, Dunbar and Moreso. At ROL they had, well, Ryan Anderson who is trending on bust and may be moved inside.

We have seen what an impact a dominant edge rusher can have on a game. This guy ran the 40 faster than just about everyone on the team and he was very productive. Yes he is a game changer, no way would I want to throw him back and use the picks on the players you mentioned.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:02 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Maybe take a little time and do some research or at least read up on the players we drafted before being too down on them.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe take a little time and do some research or at least read up on the players we drafted before being too down on them.

Quote:
Yes! I was thinking we would pick up the Center, Kelly, but he got drafted a few spots ahead of the 'skins, so I think SM went BPA, and Josh Doctson was definitely a great pick! The draft is so deep with defensive guys that the 'skins won't have an issue with addressing areas of need.

Source: Skins decline 5th-year option on Doctson

Old 05-10-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
What's your point here? That skinsguy was wrong on Doctson? It happens, half the first round picks don't pan out. I found his post interesting, I assume it was from 4 years ago, because Kelly was the guy I wanted too. It's hard to check the progress of centers in the NFL so I'm not sure how he worked out,

Old 05-10-2019, 03:13 AM

Back to Haskins I watched a few of this games last year. I have a question: They give those helmet stickers to recognize a good game. Since he only started for 1 season why does his helmet have more stickers than Archie Griffin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football