Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2021, 01:49 PM

322 posts, read 276,261 times

Advertisements

it doesn't matter now what number they assign. Even if they assign number 9 or 44 or 28 or 7 or 8 or 66 or 81 or 17 or 55 or 53 or 70 or 72 or 71 or 37 or 43 or 87 to other people - it'll be for the Washington Football team, not the Washington Redskins. There's a difference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 09:16 PM

17,616 posts, read 15,305,962 times
Blewitt is gone.

Signing a kicker named Blew It. Nice.

Shouldn't have gotten rid of Hopkins. Shoulda kept him the rest of the year and go after someone in free agency.

Old 11-13-2021, 03:14 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
Default Sam Huff, Hall of Fame player, dies at 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Has anyone listened to Washington radio broadcasts recently ?
My opinion, the new crew was terrible.. Julie Donaldson reciting dry (fantasy) stats. DeAngelo Hall delivering long, technical breakdowns of Xs & Os. Just lacked chemistry & wasn't entertaining. I remember the natural retirements of Huff, then Jergensen.. but didn't realize Cooley was gone, and I didn't hear Doc Walker from the sideline (but I could've missed him, I couldn't listen to much). Were they basically pushed out with/linked to Larry Michael's scandal (?) Anyone have any insights..
Sam Huff has died. Story in the WaPo today.

Wikipedia page on Sam Huff. He was playing for the NY Giants and took part in "The Greatest Game Ever Played" in the 1958 NFL Championship.

Excerpt: "As one of football’s most feared middle linebackers of the 1950s and 1960s, Sam Huff of the New York Giants starred in one of the most thrilling championship games of all time and became the first defensive player to become a superstar in the National Football League. The Hall of Famer, who also played for Washington and spent more than 30 years as a broadcaster for the team, died Nov. 13 at a hospital in Winchester, Va. He was 87. The death was announced by his daughter, Catherine Huff Myers. He had been diagnosed with dementia in 2013. Mr. Huff, who grew up in a coal-mining camp in West Virginia, spent 13 years in the NFL as a menacing figure on defense, racing sideline-to-sideline to make tackles and intercept passes as he helped define the key position of middle linebacker. Wearing his familiar No. 70, the handsome, affable and fierce Mr. Huff acquired the visibility and fame previously reserved for quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers."
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

Wikipedia page on Sam Huff. He was playing for the NY Giants and took part in "The Greatest Game Ever Played" in the 1958 NFL Championship.

Excerpt: "As one of football’s most feared middle linebackers of the 1950s and 1960s, Sam Huff of the New York Giants starred in one of the most thrilling championship games of all time and became the first defensive player to become a superstar in the National Football League. The Hall of Famer, who also played for Washington and spent more than 30 years as a broadcaster for the team, died Nov. 13 at a hospital in Winchester, Va. He was 87. The death was announced by his daughter, Catherine Huff Myers. He had been diagnosed with dementia in 2013. Mr. Huff, who grew up in a coal-mining camp in West Virginia, spent 13 years in the NFL as a menacing figure on defense, racing sideline-to-sideline to make tackles and intercept passes as he helped define the key position of middle linebacker. Wearing his familiar No. 70, the handsome, affable and fierce Mr. Huff acquired the visibility and fame previously reserved for quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers."

Looks like Sam came up on the short end of the stick.

Anyone who ever listened to Don and Mike gets that.

Sam was.. An interesting guy. One hell of a football player. He might have be diagnosed in 2013, but those of us who listened to Redskins broadcasts knew it well before that.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:06 PM

18,229 posts, read 25,885,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

The thing I remember most about Sam Huff was the CBS special that Walter Cronkite had produced and narrated called "The Violent World Of Sam Huff." Huff was wearing a mike in the game and IIRC it was the first time in NFL history that this was done. Huff was probably the first NFL player to pitch products on television and not just one but several products.

He was very active with the press and gave Ed and Steve Sabol lots of time regarding various interviews on NFL Films. One of the more humorous ones involved Packer great Paul Hornung. He talked about an exhibition game with Green Bay--"We got just $50 for pay on exhibition games. Paul comes up to me and says 'What are you doing after the game?' Hell, I only get $50--Hornung says 'That's OK, we'll spend mine, then we'll start working on yours!"

Another one was the fire sale Giant Head Coach Allie Sherman was doing with Giant veterans in which Huff went to Washington. That 1966 season the Giants were playing Washington and were killing them with maybe 30 seconds left the score was 69-41. and were in position to score-with time running out Huff yelled at the coaching staff--"Kick a field goal, kick a field goal, I hate that son of a b*tch Sherman." And they did. Final score 72-41.

Huff was involved in a lot of things after retirement, was an executive with the Marriott corporation for a couple decades. Was a color commentator with Sonny Jurgensen and before that was a commentator with the NY Giants radio network. Raised quarterhorses also.

One of the colorful players in NFL history has passed at 87. A life well lived, just sad to see Dementia rake him over the coals in his last few years. RIP Sam.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:06 PM

322 posts, read 276,261 times
They organized an unannounced last minute retirement of Sean Taylor and yet doesn't honor, acknowledge or even mentions Sam Huff at halftime of the Bucs game - that's why the WFT is the biggest dumpster fire in the NFL

Old 11-18-2021, 07:24 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,795,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
They organized an unannounced last minute retirement of Sean Taylor and yet doesn't honor, acknowledge or even mentions Sam Huff at halftime of the Bucs game - that's why the WFT is the biggest dumpster fire in the NFL
Agreed.

Feel free to correct me, but I looked over their website and saw no mention of him.

Old 11-18-2021, 12:18 PM

3,741 posts, read 2,572,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
The timing of the Taylor homage was a groveling look we're not racist public relations campaign. Huff will likely be honored, but there is no immediate, perceived public relations value to the franchise.
I agree that Washington is a figurative dumpster fire, conducting a completely inept purge & remodel. They're literally nameless, their new radio crew is terrible, the crass exploitation of Taylor's death, the half-empty stands, the disappointing, overhyped defense.

Personally, rooting for Heinicke is the only attraction for me at this point.

Old 11-18-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Agreed.

Feel free to correct me, but I looked over their website and saw no mention of him.

I did see something on their facebook feed. Whether you consider that counting or not, up to you.

Old 11-21-2021, 07:42 AM

16,294 posts, read 10,438,365 times
Hey folks, just stopped by to say hi to some old friends. I have totally lost interest, I just can't root for a team owned by a Snyder. it disgusted me the the NFL swept all this under the rug, very happy to hear that Congress is now involved yet the story seems to be dying. What happens now that the league did not meet the deadline set by the Congressman for the info requested?

I have no problem with Sean Taylor's jersey being retired. This was a unique situation and there should be no question that he was going to be an all time great. I have a major problem with the team using this as a distraction to get the heat off, the photo of the family in front of the road sign in his name in front of a line of porta potties was just such a typical WFT move.

As for Sam Huff I watched every game so rarely listened on the radio. But he had obviously lost it long before he left. I remember the Saints tied the game in the final 2 minutes. Sam said to watch out for the onsides kick. Sonny laughed and said they aren't going to do an onsides kick in a tie game in the final minutes. Sam said "well they could". I laughed at him not realizing his condition at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football