Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2022, 05:42 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not the greatest name but professional sports is full of teams with cheesy names and/or names that have nothing to do with the city the team is in. Success cures all. Over time, fan bases have come to accept stupid names like the Thunder, Lakers, Chargers, etc. Though I see the frustration here considering the storied history of the franchise. I simply think people will stop worrying about it if they start producing winning seasons and deep playoff runs.
This owner has proven time and time again, with him over riding coach after coach, on and on for years screwing up this team to the point it is not even remotely the team he bought years ago....remotely. I can not think of a worse owner ever in the NFL. Not to mention his screwed up front office, his lackeys etc...

You're correct in that winners cure all, but to me it goes beyond just winning. For someone old like me it may not matter, because I remember its history and culture back in the day. A team that even during its losing seasons back in the 60s there was always hope, there were always standouts. The young ones don't remember. And with this owner, he sealed that deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 05:49 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
There's actually real hope that he'll be forced out with the newest set of allegations against him.

One of the golden rules is "No controversy during Super Bowl Week" which went out the window.

Apparently the Wilkinson report recommended him selling the team.

So.. The good news.. He, and the name could be pushed out. if he were forced to sell, I'm pretty sure a new owner would not want to keep a name he came up with, especially one so unpopular.

The bad news. What a CF of a mess.
I hope they do the right thing and force him to sell. It'll be the right thing to do.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:06 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
https://www.boycottdan.com/

Old 02-18-2022, 06:24 PM

813 posts, read 403,138 times
The Commanders owner needs to relinquish the team. Hopefully, the results of the new investigation will get it done.

"The NFL has informed the House Committee on Oversight and Reform that Mary Jo White will lead the investigation into new allegations surrounding Washington Commanders owner Dan Snyder.

The league said it will release a written report publicly, something that was not done after the initial investigation into Washington's workplace culture."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ers-dan-snyder

Old 02-19-2022, 07:04 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
RIP Charlie Taylor

One of the greats.

Old 02-19-2022, 11:10 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,738,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Though I see the frustration here considering the storied history of the franchise. I simply think people will stop worrying about it if they start producing winning seasons and deep playoff runs.
Main issue is it's basically an expansion team. It's not like the Guardians or Syracuse Orange where they kept some linkage in sound or look to the original. I would have called them anything beginning with R and made the Joe Gibbs sideline cap the helmet logo. Also made no sense to have a wholesale uniform change.

Team is also not going to accomplish much on the field unless Snyder is forced to sell. Future is probably like the Wizards, a generic perennial also run with occasional highs, but no great accomplishments and mediocre fan support.

Old 02-20-2022, 08:07 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Main issue is it's basically an expansion team. It's not like the Guardians or Syracuse Orange where they kept some linkage in sound or look to the original. I would have called them anything beginning with R and made the Joe Gibbs sideline cap the helmet logo. Also made no sense to have a wholesale uniform change.

Team is also not going to accomplish much on the field unless Snyder is forced to sell. Future is probably like the Wizards, a generic perennial also run with occasional highs, but no great accomplishments and mediocre fan support.
This ^

We have plenty of data to examine. Daniel Snyder has owned the team for almost a quarter century. During that time, they have had a small bit of sporadic success while having a large quantity of failure and systematic dysfunction.

Is a change in name and uniforms while babbling proudly about a past that you are helping to erase going to suddenly make you a contender?

Moving an alcoholic to a different city is not going to change his downward trajectory. Snyder is still there. The franchise is doomed. Actually, it is already dead.

Old 02-20-2022, 10:38 PM

322 posts, read 276,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
RIP Charlie Taylor

One of the greats.
I'm sorry but Charlie Taylor did not play for the Commanders - but yes, a great one was lost Saturday, one of the greatest players who ever played for the burgundy and gold. Hail to Charlie Taylor!

Old 02-21-2022, 08:48 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
I'm sorry but Charlie Taylor did not play for the Commanders - but yes, a great one was lost Saturday, one of the greatest players who ever played for the burgundy and gold. Hail to Charlie Taylor!

Warren Moon didn't play for the Titans, either, but he's in their record books.

Old 02-21-2022, 09:07 AM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times
Default classy guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeganGrimes View Post
yes, a great one was lost Saturday, one of the greatest players who ever played for the burgundy and gold. Hail to Charlie Taylor!
In his era, Charlie Taylor was recognized as one of three receivers that were the class of the NFL, along with Lance Alworth and Don Maynard. When he retired he had more pass receptions than any in NFL history until Charlie Joyner broke it in 1984. I got to see him only once when Washington came into Denver in week 9 of the 1970 NFL season. He only caught 3 passes for 34 yards but he made a catch I still remember to this day, extending himself on a sideline throw from Sonny Jurgensen.

He retired with 649 catches for 9110 yards and 79 touchdowns. He was an eight time pro bowler. He did everything on a pro bowl level-route running, fearless going across the middle, great hands, and with the exception of Bob Hayes and Lance Alworth, the fastest receiver in the league.

He stayed with the organization for the next few decades from being a scout to being an assistant coach and was involved with public relations with the club. He was married to his wife Patricia for 57 years.

Class defined Charlie Taylor. RIP, #42.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football