Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2022, 08:37 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Here’s the thing that really gets me annoyed ... they go through this lengthy charade pretending to involve the fan base in the rebranding by accepting all of these submissions and suggestions, and publicly committing to maintaining the history and heritage, yet pick a name literally nobody likes, or has any connections with the history of the team.

Most of the fans favored names that included “Red” ... Red Wolves seems to be the most popular, and would have been celebrated wildly ... then there was the Redtails, that would have been embraced also. Or the Hogs. But they choose Commanders? Funny how so many people independently wind up with the feeling that reminds them of some Arena Football team name!

How did Snyder ever become so successful and wealthy in the first place? I mean, watching his actions over the past many years with decisions regarding the Redskins shows such a disconnect with basic good sense leaves me wondering.

My personal feelings were against a name change at all, but with so much push from big dollar sponsors I get the decision. So, if the name itself “Redskins” was objected to because a small minority of people considered it a racial slur, then why not keep the Native American theme (which most Native Americans actually embraced) by naming the team The Washington Warriors? Warriors could not possibly be considered a slur, it would maintain the tradition and connection to the past, and the logo could have included the old, original Arrow on the helmet, and the new uniform color scheme could have been the throw back uniforms so many people love ... with the burgundy and gold jersey and buckskin pants. That would have been KILLER, and would had people beating the doors open to get the new merch.

What a blown opportunity.... a big swing and a miss. Absolute incompetence at never before seen levels.
You are absolutely correct! My wife and I discussed this before and came up with the name Warriors, Arrows, Tomahawks. I'm in the same camp as you. Snyder has ruined this organization and just to let you know he is in trouble as we speak. Several woman have just testified against him pertaining to harassment issues that took place at his so-called football organization. I hope he is forced to sell the team!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothwynman View Post
Even Ulbricht and Ceaucescu, wherever they are.
I believe Ceaucescu and his wife where tried in court and shot on the same day.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:59 PM

450 posts, read 252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I believe Ceaucescu and his wife where tried in court and shot on the same day.
And your point is...?

Old 02-09-2022, 06:42 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Star player says one of three people he'd most want to have dinner with is Hitler.. And it barely makes a blip on the news.

THAT'S how you know the team is seriously effed up.

Admittedly, Allen was trying to make the point, I think, that he wanted to understand how someone could do what he did, but.. Optics, man.

Old 02-13-2022, 01:04 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,736,185 times
John Riggins hates the name so much, he told them to take his jersey out of the team store.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfoo...ggins-reaction

Old 02-13-2022, 03:04 PM

602 posts, read 314,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
John Riggins hates the name so much, he told them to take his jersey out of the team store.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfoo...ggins-reaction

In 1976, Riggins signed as a free agent with the Washington Redskins, who offered him a five-year, $1.5 million contract, compared to the $63,000 he earned in his final year with the Jets. He was used mostly in short-yardage situations in his first season with Washington and missed much of the 1977 season with a knee injury. However, he gained more than 1,000 yards each of the next two seasons and was a major part of the Redskins' offense.

During training camp in July 1980, Riggins requested to renegotiate his $300,000-per-year contract and the Redskins refused. He then chose to leave camp and the Redskins placed him on the left camp-retired list, a move that made him ineligible to play for any other team in the league.* Riggins sat out the 1980 season and did not rejoin the Redskins until 1981, when new Washington head coach Joe Gibbs traveled to Kansas to make a peace offering.

"He had a camouflage outfit on", Gibbs recalled.
He had been hunting, him and a buddy. He had a beer can in his hand. It was 10 o'clock in the morning and he's meeting his coach for the first time and I'm thinking [sarcastically], 'This guy really impresses me.' But I went in there, and halfway through the conversation he says, 'You need to get me back there. I'll make you famous. I thought to myself, 'Oh, my God, he's an egomaniac.' I thought, 'I'll get him back and then I'll trade him. I'm not putting up with a fruitcake.' So I fly back to Washington, and two days later he calls me. He says, 'Joe, I made up my mind, and I'm going to play next season.' I thought it was great. I've got him back, and I'll trade that sucker. But then he says, 'There's only one thing I want in my contract.' I ask what it was. He says, 'A no-trade clause.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Riggins

Old 02-15-2022, 06:06 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,644 times
Quote:
You are absolutely correct! My wife and I discussed this before and came up with the name Warriors, Arrows, Tomahawks. I'm in the same camp as you. Snyder has ruined this organization and just to let you know he is in trouble as we speak. Several woman have just testified against him pertaining to harassment issues that took place at his so-called football organization. I hope he is forced to sell the team!!
I like Warriors, Arrows and Tomahawks as well but Warriors was a name Marquette University in Milw. had for years and now they are the Golden Eagles.

But Commanders?

Old 02-15-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I like Warriors, Arrows and Tomahawks as well but Warriors was a name Marquette University in Milw. had for years and now they are the Golden Eagles.

But Commanders?
It was mentioned in another thread or this one, which refreshed my memory was the Washington's arena football team back in the day called the Washington Commandos. What the hell is this owner thinking? Also mentioned in a thread was how in the heck did this man ever become as wealthy as he has? Just awful in what he has done to this team. This team does not exist anymore for me, its gone. I hope folks will just boycott anything to do with this man and the mess he created.

Last edited by jmking; 02-15-2022 at 07:43 AM..

Old 02-15-2022, 11:26 AM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
It was mentioned in another thread or this one, which refreshed my memory was the Washington's arena football team back in the day called the Washington Commandos. What the hell is this owner thinking? Also mentioned in a thread was how in the heck did this man ever become as wealthy as he has? Just awful in what he has done to this team. This team does not exist anymore for me, its gone. I hope folks will just boycott anything to do with this man and the mess he created.

There's actually real hope that he'll be forced out with the newest set of allegations against him.

One of the golden rules is "No controversy during Super Bowl Week" which went out the window.

Apparently the Wilkinson report recommended him selling the team.

So.. The good news.. He, and the name could be pushed out. if he were forced to sell, I'm pretty sure a new owner would not want to keep a name he came up with, especially one so unpopular.

The bad news. What a CF of a mess.

Old 02-15-2022, 11:38 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
It's not the greatest name but professional sports is full of teams with cheesy names and/or names that have nothing to do with the city the team is in. Success cures all. Over time, fan bases have come to accept stupid names like the Thunder, Lakers, Chargers, etc. Though I see the frustration here considering the storied history of the franchise. I simply think people will stop worrying about it if they start producing winning seasons and deep playoff runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football