Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2022, 11:55 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Will their nickname be "the Commies"?
Sing the former Redskin fight song together...

"Hail to the Commies, hail to the Commies... "

I have a hunch Russia, China, N Korea approves of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 03:15 PM

813 posts, read 403,138 times
Well, according to some, Washington could have kept RED and just add HOGS. When the team was competitive, the Hogettes were entertaining and a fixture.

Old 02-05-2022, 05:46 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

If they had chosen the redskin potato as their mascot they could've kept the fight song with but a few wording tweaks . . . a 1 and a 2 and a

Hail to the Redskins
Hail a plate of thee
Spuds on the menu
Feeding old D. C.

The end.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:20 AM

3,735 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I emailed them a dozen times. I advocated switching to Redhawks and going with the Lombardi/Allen R or the scripted R.
I like your idea of salvaging something from Washington's past. I think that is the biggest mistake of this rebrand. They're pretending to lean on tradition, referencing past championships in the logo, using Theismann to shill the name, etc. But the truth is, they're not salvaging any meaningful aesthetic from their history. They could've saved the 80s uniforms & helmets and just put a C or W in place of the Indian profile.. but they rolled out Arizona State knock-offs instead. They could've salvaged the word Red in their name, Redhawks, Redwolves, etc.. but didn't. The rebrand has no authentic continuity with the past. (peace)

Old 02-06-2022, 05:38 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Been a Redskin fan forever, and attended my first game when Sonny was the QB. Had season tickets from 1981-1994, and was at every game. Die hard Redskin fan here!

First, I was extremely disappointed in the decision to surrender to the woke crowd, and abandon the Redskins name. The name has such a long rich history, I considered it an insult to such an historically significant franchise, and a betrayal of the entire Redskin family.

When they came up with the interim name “Washington Football Team”, I scratched my head in wondering who came up with this gem? WFT is so close to WTF, perhaps it should stay. And for a while now, there has been all this hype and anticipation and rumors and much speculating about the new name, and all of the hints and misdirection, and this build up to the BIG REVEAL! Figuring that they must have come up with something more creative, we anxiously anticipated the big day, of the BIG REVEAL, and it finally arrives, and what happened?

The most pathetic demonstration of incompetence so far from Snyder and his crew of brain dead nincompoops that shouldn’t be trusted to manage a lemonade stand. This entire organization continues to set new records of incompetency. The bar is set so low now, an ant can’t crawl under it. It literally defies explanation.

Setting aside for a moment the name itself, which is horrible and seems to be a universal fail among fans ….. we sit on the edge of our seats, counting down the days leading up to 2-2-22 for this suspenseful big reveal, and this is what they present? This low budget, less than generic presentation that looks like they put all of an hour and a half into the production. I mean, it leaves me speechless…. and it really is the epitome of what has become the Dan Snyder Redskins over the decades, one boneheaded maneuver after another. The scandals, the idiotic personnel decisions, the blown opportunities, none of this could have been better demonstrated than this ill conceived, atrociously pasted together farce of a “big reveal day”. A generic backdrop that looked like something that was reclaimed from a warehouse somewhere, faded and dusty, and three mannequins off to the side of the stage dressed in plain, generic looking uniforms, with a plain generic W as the new team logo?

I saw the hint video with Ron Rivera seeing the helmet for the first time, and he’s saying “oh yeah, I like that”. You like that? A lot? It’s a freaking W for gods sake. I was hoping for something a little more creative … why? I have no idea why I would expect this clown show to produce something amazing. What was I thinking?

Just another sad day for the Washington Redskins fans … how many more?
Couldn't have said it better. I was a Redskin fan from the cradle. Born in the fifties. What really got me pissed is, so you ditch the name, which pissed me off but why change the logo? What is so bad about a excellent image and logo of a American Indian designed by an American Indian? And the sucker ditched the band also. The team its history and culture has vanished. Its gone. We are left with a Snyder team that is just awful and always will be as long as this nitwit owns this funky Woke POS of a team.

I think you came up with the best name for Snyder's team "The Washington Nincompoops"

I haven't watched Snyder's team play in 2 years, and never will unless he sells the team, perhaps.

Last edited by jmking; 02-06-2022 at 06:35 AM..

Old 02-06-2022, 07:50 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Sounds like the name of a team that should be playing indoors on 66 yards of a padded surface.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:54 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
The logo looks like a city logo, basically something you'd see on the door of a city or county work truck. It has no personality, and I don't think they have a mascot either.. it's just the letter W, and the soul-less logo. No real imagery to build on..
Hard for the fans to get on board now. Their swag sells gonna flop.

Old 02-06-2022, 10:07 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Sounds like the name of a team that should be playing indoors on 66 yards of a padded surface.
THAT is where I heard this ! Thanks !!!

https://americanfootballdatabase.fan...gton_Commandos

Now I remember. There was a game of Arena Football between Dallas (coached by the late great Ernie Stautner) and the WASHINGTON COMMANDOS !
Sounds like Commanders...Commandos

I remember now !!!!
They had a victory party at the adjacent hotel ballroom and we went. The QB from the Washington team was there (6'7" tall guy) as well as the coach, who told us that he was impressed with how noisy and vociferous the crowd was, compared to other arena ball venues. he failed to mention that it was the announcer trying to create the Dallas Cowboys vs Washington Redskins Rivalry in Arena ball saying things like "Hey Dallas Fans This team is from WASHINGTON!!!!"

SO I thought that there was something Familiar, even predictable, about the Redskins new name (who are still the Redskins in our house, along with the Cleveland Indians).

I was thinking they should have taken the name of Generals, in a nod to the Jobbers of the Harlem Globetrotters tour.

So, moving on, I wish sometimes people in our world can be less easily offended and less petty, and just move on. I do not seek to offend anyone intentionally, and I am not personally offended by Mascots, or nicknames, so.....

Old 02-06-2022, 10:18 AM

15,096 posts, read 8,639,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Couldn't have said it better. I was a Redskin fan from the cradle. Born in the fifties. What really got me pissed is, so you ditch the name, which pissed me off but why change the logo? What is so bad about a excellent image and logo of a American Indian designed by an American Indian? And the sucker ditched the band also. The team its history and culture has vanished. Its gone. We are left with a Snyder team that is just awful and always will be as long as this nitwit owns this funky Woke POS of a team.

I think you came up with the best name for Snyder's team "The Washington Nincompoops"

I haven't watched Snyder's team play in 2 years, and never will unless he sells the team, perhaps.
Here’s the thing that really gets me annoyed ... they go through this lengthy charade pretending to involve the fan base in the rebranding by accepting all of these submissions and suggestions, and publicly committing to maintaining the history and heritage, yet pick a name literally nobody likes, or has any connections with the history of the team.

Most of the fans favored names that included “Red” ... Red Wolves seems to be the most popular, and would have been celebrated wildly ... then there was the Redtails, that would have been embraced also. Or the Hogs. But they choose Commanders? Funny how so many people independently wind up with the feeling that reminds them of some Arena Football team name!

How did Snyder ever become so successful and wealthy in the first place? I mean, watching his actions over the past many years with decisions regarding the Redskins shows such a disconnect with basic good sense leaves me wondering.

My personal feelings were against a name change at all, but with so much push from big dollar sponsors I get the decision. So, if the name itself “Redskins” was objected to because a small minority of people considered it a racial slur, then why not keep the Native American theme (which most Native Americans actually embraced) by naming the team The Washington Warriors? Warriors could not possibly be considered a slur, it would maintain the tradition and connection to the past, and the logo could have included the old, original Arrow on the helmet, and the new uniform color scheme could have been the throw back uniforms so many people love ... with the burgundy and gold jersey and buckskin pants. That would have been KILLER, and would had people beating the doors open to get the new merch.

What a blown opportunity.... a big swing and a miss. Absolute incompetence at never before seen levels.

Old 02-06-2022, 02:55 PM

450 posts, read 252,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Even Ulbricht and Ceaucescu, wherever they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football