Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:43 AM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times

Advertisements

Here's my criteria;

A) Have a respectable career from start to finish

B) Loyalty to team, not necessarily the city that tried to sign you.

C) Ability to lead team and carry them through rough times.

D) Success; Super Bowl wins do matter. Sorry Kosar, Marino, and Tarkenton.

Ending career with dignity. This one sets him apart from all. Especially Brett Favray. He's the reason for this post and I'm sick of his antics. Now finally the Commish has to step in. Have some shame, dude. You're killing your fans. Elway, on the other hand- ended his career perfectly.

My hat is off to Montana, Steve Young, Johnny Unitas, and Troy Aikman for their competitive spirit, but like a boxer who doesn't quite know when to quit, their legacy and their health is on the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
At that time no NFL quarterback had a total package like that, and was the perfect prototype quarterback. I still can't believe what arm strength this guy had. I remember one game in'85 against Atlanta in Atlanta's Fulton County stadium. Broncos had the ball on their own 10 yard line. Elway goes back to his own goal line, and fires a cannonshot that is way over Vance Johnson's head. On Fulton County stadiums rock hard surface it took a couple bounces and quit rolling at the 5. Elway threw that ball virtually the entire length of the field! And you can hear the crowd buzzing about it for the next couple plays.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:29 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Here's my criteria;

A) Have a respectable career from start to finish

B) Loyalty to team, not necessarily the city that tried to sign you.

C) Ability to lead team and carry them through rough times.

D) Success; Super Bowl wins do matter. Sorry Kosar, Marino, and Tarkenton.

Ending career with dignity. This one sets him apart from all. Especially Brett Favray. He's the reason for this post and I'm sick of his antics. Now finally the Commish has to step in. Have some shame, dude. You're killing your fans. Elway, on the other hand- ended his career perfectly.

My hat is off to Montana, Steve Young, Johnny Unitas, and Troy Aikman for their competitive spirit, but like a boxer who doesn't quite know when to quit, their legacy and their health is on the line.
Great post, I'm with you on Favre but I gotta tell you dude, you can not put Elway ahead of Montana! Sorry dude, Montana was DA MAN, cool like the other side of the pillow!! And, I ain't even a 9ers fan, but gotta call a spade a spade, Montana was the man.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:20 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
Well, I don't want to argue Montana. But all things being equal, I just think Elway was one of the best athletes and competitors on the field. I think he's at least in the argument.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:25 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well, I don't want to argue Montana. But all things being equal, I just think Elway was one of the best athletes and competitors on the field. I think he's at least in the argument.

No doubt! I'm not arguing with you there bro. Elway has got to be in the arguement, he certainly has the credentials.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:39 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
I'm not going to argue, but it needs to be pointed out that Elway did have a less than respectable entrance to the NFL by refusing to sign with the Baltimore Colts if drafted and threatening to play baseball instead of football. And yes, I was glad to see him win the Super Bowl after losing a few.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
He is, Montana is, Unitas is. A lot of variables go into being the best QB ever, such as supporting cast, a visionary coach (like Bill Walsh), having a quality left tackle (to protect the qb's blind side), having a great defense on your side, how many pro bowlers you have to work with on offense. So many things go into it.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:02 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I'm not going to argue, but it needs to be pointed out that Elway did have a less than respectable entrance to the NFL by refusing to sign with the Baltimore Colts if drafted and threatening to play baseball instead of football.
Amen.

I lose all respect for guys like him and Eli Manning when they pull stunts like that. They are fortunate beyond words to have the opportunity to play a professional sport for a living, and to put themselves ahead of the game and ahead of any team to me is out of line.

In terms of play on the field Elway had a fantastic career, no question. To me though Joe Montana is the best QB of all time. Montana could lead his team in come from behind wins better than any, he never lost one Super Bowl he appeared in, and the best part of all is he played for the team who drafted him, he didn't complain or try to decide the outcome of his career, he went to the 49ers and helped turn them around, and had the best career of a QB I've ever seen.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Just because Favre is having a bad time with the Packers doesnt make him less of a QB on the field. Elway didnt win jack until Davis was on the team. Favre won a Super Bowl with Dorsey Levens as his RB. A bit of disparity don't you think? Montana had how mahy pro bowlers and hall of famers on his team. So if that doesnt matter why isnt Bart Star who won a total of 5 NFL championships considered one of the top QB's of all time?

Favre holds the record for yards, td's and most wins by a QB, most wins by a qb (161) which is 13 more than Elway. He did it with pretty much no big name players other than Reggie White. I have had this fight for years and will go 40 pages if you want. Despite Favre being a butthead right now he was our QB for years and took our team from bottom to top, so Packer fans will defend him for that

Old 08-03-2008, 05:36 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
My fav has always been John Elway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football