Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 06:40 AM

6,329 posts, read 3,620,039 times

Advertisements

Rex Ryan, Jim Kelly toss back beers near Buffalo Bills' stadium - ESPN

Jim Kelly and Rex Ryan tossing back a couple of Beers at a local bar near the stadium after his tour of the Ralph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 07:20 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Rex Ryan, Jim Kelly toss back beers near Buffalo Bills' stadium - ESPN

Jim Kelly and Rex Ryan tossing back a couple of Beers at a local bar near the stadium after his tour of the Ralph.
You guys are going to love Rex. The players will play extremely hard for him.

Offense though is not his strong suit. Hopefully for you guys he's taken what he did w/the Jets and learned from that. He needs a really good OC w/a good QB to lead the team....

Old 01-15-2015, 01:30 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,479,862 times
Quote:
With the exception that the Bills are a far better team right now. They blew the Jets out in both meetings this year. Jets do not match up well with the Bills at all. Anything short of another sweep of the Jets next season will be a disappointment. No question.

People say Rex should of went to Atlanta. Thing is Atlanta's defense is nowhere near close to good or great. I am sure it is important to Rex to have a team with a good defense like he had with the Jets back in '09-'11.

Working your magic can only take a you so far. If the right pieces are not their, as in players, it might not ever happen.
In his 6 years or whatever it was in New York, he showed time and time again that he's a $#!t offensive coach! He couldn't coach offense if playbooks from all 31 other teams hit him straight in the forehead! On the other hand, defense is his calling card, his specialty and something he's actually good at coaching and quite well. So if I'm him and I weigh my strengths and weakness I go "hey in my 6 years coaching, I never had a QB finish in the upper half in QBR. I've got one of the better QBs in the league and the only thing holding this team back is defense.....and I can actually work to make that better.....a lot better. if we can get the Falcons into the top 10 or top 5 in defensive categories, this will be a playoff team all 5 years I'm here." The Jets defense completely carried them to the 2009 & 2010 AFC championship games while Sanchez rode it's coattails, and if they had even a semi-decent QB probably would've made the super bowl and in . And the only reason the 2013 Jets finished 8-8......was because of the defense! If not for that defense that really would've been a 1-15, 2-14 team like most people thought they would be. Smith is absolutely pathetic.

Quote:
Could Belicheck work his magic to all of those AFC Title games and Super Bowls without Brady?
In 2008 when Brady got injured the first game of the year Belicheck rode Matt freaking Cassell to an 11-5 record and only the 2nd (3rd??) team ever to finish with 11 wins and NOT make the playoffs. What has Cassell done since he's left New England and Belicheck's system?? Had a crap 2009 after the Chiefs traded for him, lucked out in 2010, won the West and threw for less than 100 yards in the loss to the Ravens then went into obscurity in KC and Minnesota. His overall record as a starter is 34-40. Take out his 10-5 record his 1 year starting for Brady in New York and his starting record as a QB is a dismal 24-35. I've got a friend who's a Dolphins fan and whenever the Ravens play the Pats, he's always hoping one of the Ravens defenders takes out Brady, but then I think about what Belicheck did with Cassel in 08 and in order for the Pats to lose their reign at the top of the East Belicheck has to go for that to happen. So yah, I no doubt think Belicheck would be fine with any other QB. May not have as many AFC title game appearances, but would definitely be in the playoffs most years.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
In his 6 years or whatever it was in New York, he showed time and time again that he's a $#!t offensive coach! He couldn't coach offense if playbooks from all 31 other teams hit him straight in the forehead! On the other hand, defense is his calling card, his specialty and something he's actually good at coaching and quite well. So if I'm him and I weigh my strengths and weakness I go "hey in my 6 years coaching, I never had a QB finish in the upper half in QBR. I've got one of the better QBs in the league and the only thing holding this team back is defense.....and I can actually work to make that better.....a lot better. if we can get the Falcons into the top 10 or top 5 in defensive categories, this will be a playoff team all 5 years I'm here." The Jets defense completely carried them to the 2009 & 2010 AFC championship games while Sanchez rode it's coattails, and if they had even a semi-decent QB probably would've made the super bowl and in . And the only reason the 2013 Jets finished 8-8......was because of the defense! If not for that defense that really would've been a 1-15, 2-14 team like most people thought they would be. Smith is absolutely pathetic.

In 2008 when Brady got injured the first game of the year Belicheck rode Matt freaking Cassell to an 11-5 record and only the 2nd (3rd??) team ever to finish with 11 wins and NOT make the playoffs. What has Cassell done since he's left New England and Belicheck's system?? Had a crap 2009 after the Chiefs traded for him, lucked out in 2010, won the West and threw for less than 100 yards in the loss to the Ravens then went into obscurity in KC and Minnesota. His overall record as a starter is 34-40. Take out his 10-5 record his 1 year starting for Brady in New York and his starting record as a QB is a dismal 24-35. I've got a friend who's a Dolphins fan and whenever the Ravens play the Pats, he's always hoping one of the Ravens defenders takes out Brady, but then I think about what Belicheck did with Cassel in 08 and in order for the Pats to lose their reign at the top of the East Belicheck has to go for that to happen. So yah, I no doubt think Belicheck would be fine with any other QB. May not have as many AFC title game appearances, but would definitely be in the playoffs most years.
And the team the year prior went 16-0. So the loss of Brady was a huge blow. A five game difference. So was it Belicheck or Brady responsible for that teams success?

As for Rex, good thing he is not payed to coach the offense. That is now Roman's job. Anyways, I honestly think the biggest reason Rex rather be with the Bills instead of the Falcons is that he honestly loves competing against the best. And he knows that year in and year out the best team is in New England. I have to give the guy credit for that.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:14 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Wake me up when the Bills are above .750 at Week 14.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Wake me up when the Bills are above .750 at Week 14.
11-3? That would be nice. 1st round bye and a home game.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:45 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,352,262 times
The Bills are one of the favored to play the Pats in the opening game. The Steelers game will likely be saved until mid season.

No excuse to not go 11-5 next season...(prediction not in order).

Patriots: I feel the Bills split this and go 1-1. That said, Rex would have won both games with the Jets this year but their kicker missed a field goal in both games.

Dolphins: Sweep, Bills always play tough against the Dolphins.

Jets: Sweep. So far 5-1.

Jaguars: Easy win. Thanks Marrone for leaving to play for this **** franchise, the Jaguars.

Titans: Win. The Jets beat them, we can beat them. (7-1)

Colts: Luck wins this battle. (7-2)

Cowboys: They are good on the road, suck at home. (7-3)

Redskins: How'd RG III work out? (8-3)

Giants: OBJ is really the only star player on that team. (9-3)

Eagles: Could go either way, probably a loss, but close. (9-4)

Bengals: Homefield advantage! (10-4)

Chiefs: Chiefs are lucky they play in Arrowhead. (10-5)

Texans: Revenge! (11-5)

Old 02-03-2015, 07:01 AM

Dolphins are tough for us in Miami. That could be a split. I hope we are not ending the season by playing New England for what would feel like the 4th time in the last 7 years. I wouldn't mind playing New England week one on the road on Thursday night. It would mean (1) we catch them when they tend to be vulnerable (early in the season) and (2) when we play them later in the year it will be in Buffalo.

The Titans game feels like a loss to me. Or at least Bills teams of the past decade would find a way to lose that one.

I do feel it comes down to either Pittsburgh or us for opening night at New England. We actually tend to play new england very close when we play them week one an in the first match-ups in general.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:51 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,352,262 times
Quote:
Dolphins are tough for us in Miami. That could be a split. I hope we are not ending the season by playing New England for what would feel like the 4th time in the last 7 years. I wouldn't mind playing New England week one on the road on Thursday night. It would mean (1) we catch them when they tend to be vulnerable (early in the season) and (2) when we play them later in the year it will be in Buffalo.

The Titans game feels like a loss to me. Or at least Bills teams of the past decade would find a way to lose that one.

I do feel it comes down to either Pittsburgh or us for opening night at New England. We actually tend to play new england very close when we play them week one an in the first match-ups in general.
Divisional games go either way. Rex took his 4-12 team to beat the Dolphins 37-22 in Miami. Also, the Jets have sweeper Miami before. Divisional games are hard to predict, both teams play their hardest.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:37 AM

Looks like the Bills are very close to signing Ritchie Incognito. Not sure how I feel about the signing.

1. Does he have anything left? Will he make it through camp? Hope we still go after Iupati in free agency.

2. Has being exiled for the last year and a half changed him?

Rex did say he wanted to "build a bully". Perhaps he meant it literally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football