Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times

Advertisements

A candidate that is better than Harbaugh has been involved with the 49ers before. He has three Super Bowl rings, two from coaching two Super Bowl championship teams, and the other for being the offensive coordinator. He has 20 seasons head coaching experience in the National Football League.

The candidate is offensive minded, someone the 49ers would like to have. He is Mike Shanahan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
A candidate that is better than Harbaugh has been involved with the 49ers before. He has three Super Bowl rings, two from coaching two Super Bowl championship teams, and the other for being the offensive coordinator. He has 20 seasons head coaching experience in the National Football League.

The candidate is offensive minded, someone the 49ers would like to have. He is Mike Shanahan.
How would Mike Shanahan fare any better in SF than he did in Washington? His best days are behind him. Seems as though the game has passed him by. I bet Harbaugh could've had better results in Washington than Shanahan did. I doubt that Shanahan is better in today's game.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:51 AM

I'm going to go with the ownership here and say that they made the right decision to give Harbaugh the boot.

So onward... off season will be interesting and I'm looking forward to the changes.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:08 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
What are you smoking? Pete Carroll career at SC, his former team from 2001-2009 went 97-19 four Rose bowl wins two Orange bowl wins and a national championship.

Hardly dreadful...

Having said that...San Francisco 49ers seem to like to hire successful college coaches.
When he was a head coach of a PRO team (ie NY Jets) before USC. (Back in earlier days)

Last edited by CouponJack; 12-29-2014 at 04:40 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 04:44 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Rex Ryan is a lousy coach, as his stint with the Jets showed. He's no more qualified to lead an NFL team than ex-Packer Darren Sharper.

The Niners already have someone in mind that they think is better than Harbaugh. Otherwise, they wouldn't be so willing to let him go with a year on his contract. I can hardly wait to see who this person is.
He went to 2 AFC championships in 6 years with a rookie QB at the helm, and beating Brady and manning in the process. Hardly "lousy" if you judge him on his complete body of work.

Rex's problem was that he was too defensive minded and was too loyal (ie sticking w Sanchez and most recently Geno waaaay too long). This year he had nothing to work with because if one followed closely they would see that Idzik left the cubbard extremely bare. Having said that, it was his and Idzik's time to go.

He will find a coaching gig or broadcast spot immediately, however the 49er job will not be a good fit.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:04 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
It will be interesting how much of the staff stays. Word is they have been told they are welcome to come with Jim to Michigan. I read Jim Tomsula and Vic Fangio are possibilities for the head coaching position. Personally I'm not sure who my top choice is. Hopefully it doesn't take long for a decision because the team and fans are seriously pissed right now.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM

1,285 posts, read 1,289,482 times
I'm betting the Niners look for an offensive coordinator to be their next head coach. I envision losing seasons like they had after the Seifert era ended.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
He went to 2 AFC championships in 6 years with a rookie QB at the helm, and beating Brady and manning in the process. Hardly "lousy" if you judge him on his complete body of work.

Rex's problem was that he was too defensive minded and was too loyal (ie sticking w Sanchez and most recently Geno waaaay too long). This year he had nothing to work with because if one followed closely they would see that Idzik left the cubbard extremely bare. Having said that, it was his and Idzik's time to go.

He will find a coaching gig or broadcast spot immediately, however the 49er job will not be a good fit.
I'm looking at his latest, most relevant body of work.

I agree, the Niners job wouldn't be a good fit. He shouldn't even be mentioned. He's an interesting character however. Reminds me a bit of John Candy. Good candidate for a broadcast spot.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:22 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
I'm betting the Niners look for an offensive coordinator to be their next head coach. I envision losing seasons like they had after the Seifert era ended.
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm gonna be pissed if they hire anyone with the last name Shanahan!

Old 12-29-2014, 02:44 PM

858 posts, read 1,145,907 times
Watching the Jed York (owner) and Trent Baalke (GM) press conference and I got the impression that York runs his team with an iron fist. "We expect to win the Super Bowl every year, not a division, not a NFC Championship, but a Super Bowl" Certainly there was an implied ultimatum that Harbaugh win a Super Bowl this year or else. I think once the team wasn't performing at that level throughout this season it just created more friction between Harbaugh and York which ultimately led to his departure.

As for the 2015 season, I think the 49ers have enough talent to contend but winning a Super Bowl is a totally different matter. The new coach will be under a lot of pressure and have huge shoes to fill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football