Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 10:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Complaining about the opposite sex reflects poorly on you.
Indeed. It says more about the person than the 3 billion people s/he's complaining about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 09:24 PM

292 posts, read 635,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Indeed. It says more about the person than the 3 billion people s/he's complaining about.
When men complain about women or when women complain about men, they may say "women are like this" or "men are like this", but they are not really talking about ALL 3 billion women or 3 billion men on this planet. There are far too many men and women in the world to generalize. They are usually talking about the ones they have interacted with, which is usually an extremely small segment of the entire world population.

If one IS complaining about 3 billion people in the world, then one definitely has a problem!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
I'll toss out a comment.

From cradle to grave American women are bombarded by images, archetypes, women are the subject of advertising and marketing in the USA.

For the most part American women grew up on television and mass media from birth since the mid 1950's.

In the USA television is a reflection of "so called American life" - commericals, tv, movies, magazines - those images/stereotypes are idolized.

Perfect girl, perfect wife, perfect figure, perfect position, perfect place, perfect everything in images.

Sex and youth sells. And that's a tough standard to live up to.

Period.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I'll toss out a comment.

From cradle to grave American women are bombarded by images, archetypes, women are the subject of advertising and marketing in the USA.

For the most part American women grew up on television and mass media from birth since the mid 1950's.

In the USA television is a reflection of "so called American life" - commericals, tv, movies, magazines - those images/stereotypes are idolized.

Perfect girl, perfect wife, perfect figure, perfect position, perfect place, perfect everything in images.

Sex and youth sells. And that's a tough standard to live up to.

Period.
True. I agree, but so are women in other countries. Women in most countries are expected to be perfect girls, perfect wives, have perfect figures, etc. Tell me one country where women are not expected to be perfect is some way. In India, for example, women are also expected to be great, if not perfect, cooks and work outside the home.

One difference is that in other countries women get these messages/expectations from their home (parents) whereas American women get them from mass media. However, the media's job is to entertain, not educate. That's how they make their money.

I do agree that you have a point but keep in mind women in many other (esp Eastern) countries are also expected to take care of/look after their in-laws. Now those are some really tough standards, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by TimelessClassic; 02-02-2011 at 10:34 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 01:28 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
American women are the most pampered and coddled of the groups; however, I have seen that they have incredible hubris and they tend to be petulant rather than stereotypically compassionate and empathic. I've rarely met a stereotypically compassionate and empathic female. It is so unbelievably rare.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
American women are the most pampered and coddled of the groups; however, I have seen that they have incredible hubris and they tend to be petulant rather than stereotypically compassionate and empathic. I've rarely met a stereotypically compassionate and empathic female. It is so unbelievably rare.
Case in point: I dated a girl here in Atlanta a year ago. Took her on about 15 dates from wine tastings to day trip to martinis places to museums, etc etc.all of which I paid for. It was her birthday and she wanted me to treat her (of course)! Took her out to a bar and she ordered a drink. I excused myself to go to the restroom. When I returned I saw she had ordered 4 drinks for herself! WTH? Regardless of whether its your birthday, when someone else is treating you, you don't just keep ordering stuff, esp when he's gone to the restroom. Dumped her the next day.

I went out with a girl in Ukraine recently. We both had a drink each which I paid for. After about an hour of conversation I was hungry again. I asked her if she wanted another drink and she hesitated but said no. I said go ahead and order another drink if you're hungry. It turns out she didn't want to order another drink because I was paying for it.

I was in another Eastern European country and went out with a girl. People use public transportation because cabs are expensive and very few can afford cars. I paid for her cab fare home that night. We went out again the next night. I was about to pay her cab fare home but she said no. She said I had paid her cab fare the night before and she wouldn't let me pay again. I insisted but she started crying and gave me a hug and said she would never take cab fare from me again. Despite my insistence she ended up taking the bus at around 11 at night. I was really touched by this.

These girls didn't have anything "wrong" with them. The first girl works 6 days a week and lives in a small room in someone's house (that's what she can afford). The second is a nurse. Both are educated, gorgeous and speak 3 languages.

I understand these could be viewed as isolated examples but still make the point. When I express opinions about American women and/or foreign women, I'm basing them on actual examples from my own experiences, not pulling them out of thin air.

Last edited by TimelessClassic; 02-03-2011 at 04:13 AM..

Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessClassic View Post
When men complain about women or when women complain about men, they may say "women are like this" or "men are like this", but they are not really talking about ALL 3 billion women or 3 billion men on this planet. There are far too many men and women in the world to generalize. They are usually talking about the ones they have interacted with, which is usually an extremely small segment of the entire world population.

If one IS complaining about 3 billion people in the world, then one definitely has a problem!
When they're complaining about a group vs a person that has harmed them, they sound foolish because it is foolish. If you hang around here long enough you'll find a running theme in that women are like this or that with caveats of outliers.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:27 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,938 times
Whatever happened to all the self-esteem boosting style of education during the 90s, along with the motivational speakers etc. when it became trendy? By now, the kids of the 90s are the young adults many people are alluding to.

Why are people complaining that young people these days are having too much of it, and others (like this thread) are saying they don't?

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessClassic View Post
I went out with a girl in Ukraine recently. We both had a drink each which I paid for. After about an hour of conversation I was hungry again. I asked her if she wanted another drink and she hesitated but said no. I said go ahead and order another drink if you're hungry. It turns out she didn't want to order another drink because I was paying for it.

I was in another Eastern European country and went out with a girl. People use public transportation because cabs are expensive and very few can afford cars. I paid for her cab fare home that night. We went out again the next night. I was about to pay her cab fare home but she said no. She said I had paid her cab fare the night before and she wouldn't let me pay again. I insisted but she started crying and gave me a hug and said she would never take cab fare from me again. Despite my insistence she ended up taking the bus at around 11 at night. I was really touched by this.

These girls didn't have anything "wrong" with them. The first girl works 6 days a week and lives in a small room in someone's house (that's what she can afford). The second is a nurse. Both are educated, gorgeous and speak 3 languages.

I understand these could be viewed as isolated examples but still make the point. When I express opinions about American women and/or foreign women, I'm basing them on actual examples from my own experiences, not pulling them out of thin air.
Could this be because they are so incredibly poor they are more reluctant for money to be spent and not accustom to American over indulgence as well as culturally being in a hurry to marry so perhaps they behave more humble.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Could this be because they are so incredibly poor they are more reluctant for money to be spent and not accustom to American over indulgence as well as culturally being in a hurry to marry so perhaps they behave more humble.
I think you are right on both counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology