Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Liars, really? I think a lot of people lie because they care what others will think if they tell the truth.
everyone lies , i happen to think that the vast majority of people who say they dont care what others think of them are lieing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 04:42 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I really dont understand this...

I COULD GIVE A RATS TAIL ABOUT WHAT OTHER PPL THINK,i am my own person,i have MY OWN MIND and i do what I feel is right for me! (If someone doesnt like it they can kiss off)

Anyone feel like me??

Sometimes it seems to me that people who "don't give a rats ass what other people thing" put a lot of energy into making damn sure that everybody KNOWS they don't care what they think. Then I wonder... if they are going to so much trouble to let people know this, then doesn't that mean they actually DO care??

As to answering your questions...
Do I care what people think? To some degree, I do. I want people to think of me as relatively intelligent and a person with integrity. Will I compromise my strong beliefs to please others and try to make people like me? No. I don't care THAT much.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:58 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Because what other people think can affect their behavior, which can affect you directly or indirectly (by affecting the community/society in which you live).

Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Sometimes it seems to me that people who "don't give a rats ass what other people thing" put a lot of energy into making damn sure that everybody KNOWS they don't care what they think. Then I wonder... if they are going to so much trouble to let people know this, then doesn't that mean they actually DO care??

As to answering your questions...
Do I care what people think? To some degree, I do. I want people to think of me as relatively intelligent and a person with integrity. Will I compromise my strong beliefs to please others and try to make people like me? No. I don't care THAT much.
Good point. Why do you need to make such a big song and dance about the fact you don't care?

I think it's pack/herd instinct. If we appear too difference, we stand out and are more vulnerable to attack by other members of the troupe. These days not so much physically, but emotionally (getting put down.etc) and in other ways.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
everyone lies , i happen to think that the vast majority of people who say they dont care what others think of them are lieing
Lol, that's why I said "a lot of people lie", rather than trying to separate out a "segment of the population" and branding them "liars"--cause we all lie. And anyone who claims they never lie is definitely lying, lol.

I think everyone cares what at least some people in their lives think, and I think that is normal and natural. You should care about what the people you care about think. Their opinions should be important to you. If you have loving parents, you should care what they think. If you love your children, you should care what they think. Etc.

Obviously caring what everyone thinks, and trying to seek outward approval from people who have little to no relevance in your life, is a sign of low self-esteem.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:

I COULD GIVE A RATS TAIL ABOUT WHAT OTHER PPL THINK,i am my own person,i have MY OWN MIND and i do what I feel is right for me! (If someone doesnt like it they can kiss off)

Anyone feel like me??
The only time I care about what people think of me is on my job. I'm BIG into customer service and never have any complaints so I guess I do alright. I do care what my managers think of me, to a point and only where my job performance is concerned. Today is my eval day so we'll see!

I figured out a long time ago that in my 20s I worried what EVERYone thought. In my late 30s/early 40s I stopped caring and once I reached my 50s I realized that nobody thought about me OR cared! lol

Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:

Anyone feel like me??
It wouldn't bother me if some one wants to think negative about me...especially when they don't know me....but I'd still wish them well.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:56 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
I care, as in "I have a preference". I prefer everyone to know and accept everything about me.

I don't care, as in "I'm not going to let it get me down if they don't approve of me" and "I'm not going to change something solely for the approval of others".

Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
Quote:

Anyone feel like me??
When I lived in Detroit, I was like you. But in the East (Detroit is East by Western standards), I think people tend to have a greater degree of respect for each other as people, so if people think you're weird, it doesn't have a negative effect on your life. But in Colorado, where I'm at now, I've been forced to care about what others think because it's a Southern type of culture that is very dependent on relationships rather than productivity. My perception is that to get by here, you must meet relatively arbitrary social standards, and then they'll deal.

It's like if you're trying to develop relationships with the cycling crowd, you must wear spandex. For example, you might be the best bike mechanic around, but if you don't wear spandex, they'll turn their noses up. (I neither wear spandex nor work on bikes nor care about the bike crowd, in case you were suspicious.)

Some people are simply weak minded. But here, it's required that you play the game.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:40 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:

Anyone feel like me??
A favorite Dr. Seuss quote:

“Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don't mind.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology