Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM

7,679 posts, read 5,525,023 times

Advertisements

OP, a lot of people in this world are actively doing what they can to try to make this planet a better place, supporting their causes with their time and money and making genuine sacrifices to do so.

They are part of the humanity. Why can't you relate to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
Lately I've becoming more cynical, and judgmental of the things people do. I've become increasingly bitter with people and am finding that I can't relate to them as much. For most of my life until this point (I'm in college), I've been the girl who was always smiling and quiet and who could get along with anyone, because I didn't think critically about what they do. If they stole cars, it didn't affect how much I liked them at all as long as it wasn't from me. But now I see how bad people are, and I feel like an outsider in the world. I was always liked by every single person. But now it's so different, because I voice my opinion and people don't like it and thus people don't like me.

People slaughter animals, rape the Earth for financial gain, believe in cockamamey mythology religions, and are increasingly devoid of sexual standards. People deny that the recent climate change has been caused by humans even though it is so obvious. It's not just that people are corrupt, but that so many are so dumb.

I find it hard to bite my tongue and 'respect' people, which means having no objections to how they act. Now that I have been speaking out on actions I think are bad, I feel a huge divide between me and humanity. People have been very mean back in response to my criticisms. Also, arguing with others has proven very pointless. People are usually stubborn and they won't change even when what they do is so obviously wrong.

Feeling this way has led me to feel like I don't belong in this world, and though I'd never kill myself, for the first time in my life I don't think I'd care very much if I was about to die. But I'm only 21, so I shouldn't think this way.

How can I change my life to be a happier person, but without becoming a very ignorant person, blind to what's wrong? They say ignorance is bliss. It's true I guess. But I can't be ignorant anymore, I know too much.
1. Try to have more of an open mind. When People are "obviously wrong" perhaps you are simply not considering all of the potential perspectives.

2. Find better people. If you are hanging out with people who steal cars, you may want to change your circle of friends.

3. Sexual morals stem from religious beliefs. It is going to be difficult for you to find people with sexual morals and no religious beliefs. Apart from religious beliefs, there is no reason not to just have sex with whomever catches your flighting fancy whenever and wherever it occurs. If you think it is "just wrong" to do that, your belief is formed because you were raised in a religious society.

4. Focus on liking every single person rather than on being liked by them. Every single person I have encountered has some good about them. It is necessary to overlook the bad and focus on the good if you are going to get along with people. Otherwise, become a hermit. I have a friend who is a bigot. I do not like that and it is offensive to me. However otherwise this person is extremely big hearted, giving, self sacrificing, loyal and many other qualities. When I look at this person I could see a dirty bigot, or I can see a great person who has an imperfection. Perhaps you are expecting all people to be perfect and since they are not, you are unhappy. The funny thing is without religious beliefs, it is impossible to even define a perfect person. Thus, you will never find one (with or without religiuos beliefs.)

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
Don't ever surrender. Don't let evil and stupidity win...there are wonderful people out there...a few bad apples does not spoil the whole bunch...In the alternative understand thaT EVIL is kin to stupidity and ignorance...there is also the genetic factor..The average IQ of most human beings is under 100 point...We for the most part are just plain stupid...find people that are not and be with your own kind.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,926 times
you sound exactly like me. i tend to stay away from people. i don't trust anybody and i remain single. everybody has some sort of motive. i am very cynical and i can't stand the way things have become. i see the way most people live and act, and i try to do the opposite.

exercise, get healthy, read books, watch movies and value your free time. that's all that i can recommend. also, not giving a damn about what anyone else thinks of you is also helpful. friends are overrated. i have many acquaintances and i am usually easy to get along with. i speak my mind too...but we work in customer service, which means we have something in common: we hate people.

i was thinking about coming out of my shell a bit too. possibly volunteering or taking up a hobby. i know that people can't all be bad. i probably have a distorted perception of people. it's not a bad thing as many people will say. sometimes it's good to be an outsider.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM

15 posts, read 11,451 times
From the beginning of recorded time humanity represents a flawed race that not only can succumb to very terrible things but also very beautiful. It can be depressing at times if we dwell upon the terrible aspects that we are capable of.

I like to think that all the contrast of humanity give us a sense of right and wrong, light and dark. Also I believe terrible things come from pain...just as you are feeling like you might not want to live in this world because of the pain- suicide is a terrible waste of life and a permanent solution to a temporary state of being.

Living a good, wonderful life- being the best example you can be to others is the best way to combat the ugliness of human nature!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM

122 posts, read 337,452 times
I'm only happy when I'm out in the woods, as far away from lovely people as possible.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM

487 posts, read 896,503 times
lol. nice to know i'm not alone in my cynicism. i totally agree with you stackhouse. any rec's for movies?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM

487 posts, read 896,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
1. Try to have more of an open mind. When People are "obviously wrong" perhaps you are simply not considering all of the potential perspectives.

2. Find better people. If you are hanging out with people who steal cars, you may want to change your circle of friends.

3. Sexual morals stem from religious beliefs. It is going to be difficult for you to find people with sexual morals and no religious beliefs. Apart from religious beliefs, there is no reason not to just have sex with whomever catches your flighting fancy whenever and wherever it occurs. If you think it is "just wrong" to do that, your belief is formed because you were raised in a religious society.

4. Focus on liking every single person rather than on being liked by them. Every single person I have encountered has some good about them. It is necessary to overlook the bad and focus on the good if you are going to get along with people. Otherwise, become a hermit. I have a friend who is a bigot. I do not like that and it is offensive to me. However otherwise this person is extremely big hearted, giving, self sacrificing, loyal and many other qualities. When I look at this person I could see a dirty bigot, or I can see a great person who has an imperfection. Perhaps you are expecting all people to be perfect and since they are not, you are unhappy. The funny thing is without religious beliefs, it is impossible to even define a perfect person. Thus, you will never find one (with or without religiuos beliefs.)
Even with religion, I think many people can still concede that there's inherent value in strict monogamy. It also decreases likelihood of catching STD's. If you're single and not religious I can understand wanting only casual sex. But the thing with casual sex is there's such little meaning and value in it. I think it's definitely worthy to instead build up a lasting relationship with just one special person.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 PM

149 posts, read 343,182 times
I feel you.I have been there many times.Sometimes the price you will pay for speaking out is more than you ever dreamed.Always this''For every action,there is a REACTION''.As I have gotten older I have learned to look into my situations more deeply,before makeing any open calls.Sometimes it is much better to wait and let others ASK for our advice or our take.
Im guessing you were raised well with a strong or more than one strong personalitys in your live.We cant help how we were molded growing up.If were brought up to be strong we are!In time you will find a balance.There is alot to be said on the way you are feeling.Just hang in there things will work out for you.Life is about changes,weather we like it or not.They will make us better people,people thats purpose in life may be to help others that you have never even met yet.People that would totally be lost without that you came into their life and gave them strength and hope like no one else ever could.Also know that saten is real,and his job and mission is to break us down any way he can,and he knows all of our weekness's.He loves to strip our hope and make our lives cloudy and gray.Pay for God to lift you up onto a new path in life,and meanwhile dream your dream and hold your head up.God loves you and has great plans for you,always remember this!!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,679 times
you might be suffering from the " missing tile syndrome". It is the syndrome that you look upon a Majestic piece of art, it is on a cieling, it has all the detail only an artist can do, all the colors just blending, breath taking. You will be the person who will see that a tile is missing and point it out. that is all you will mention about the piece of art.
yes, there are bad people out there ( i am not throwing the first stone). but there are many more good people. You say that you use to smile alot, well, people need people like you around them. A smile is much better than trying to convert me to clean the earth. So smile more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology